Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Bang ?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Did anyone hear a very loud bang a little while ago ?

Thought it was thunder myself but seen on facebook that quite a few people heard it too....

Bit cold for thunder !!

Doid something explode ? Or crash ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

heard it.no idea what it was, sounded like thunder but no clouds in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

thunder and lightning ,couple of miles into sea from Greystones,telly went a bit crazy with the activity

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Are you guys up in the Court, last right turn on the spine road.
    I think some back garden fences blew down last night which was the noise that woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Radio|Man wrote: »

Thought it was thunder myself but seen on facebook that quite a few people heard it too....

Bit cold for thunder !!

Its never too cold for thunder. In fact you can have a thunder storm which produces snow. Have never witnessed one but would love to.

Ask over on the weather forum.
    Earlsie wrote: »
    I think some back garden fences blew down last night which was the noise that woke me up.

It was not windy last night. There was a light breeze but noting to blow down fences!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It was most definitely windy. My greenhouse was 10 feet away from where it usually is this morning, and it was on it's side, turned over.

• Advertisement

I live in the countryside and it wasn't windy,it wasn't someones fence ! I used to hear the ships dumping the boulders off Kilcoole for the coastal nutrition (I think they call it) but that has stopped I think.

Most likely a storm at sea as the Mrs was out and said she thought she saw lightening out the corner of her eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Damo9090 wrote: »
    It was not windy last night. There was a light breeze but noting to blow down fences!

Tell that to the house's in Charlesland Court with no back fence !! :)

Earlsie wrote: »
    Tell that to the house's in Charlesland Court with no back fence !! :)

It would take storm force winds to remove those fences. I am sticking with my light breeze as i was in and out for cigarettes until 3am and i recall no storm.

Someone is acting the maggot methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Another very loud bang again just now followed by a long rumble...

Doesn't sound like thunder though. :confused:

I know, weird! Sounded like when my washing machine is in the spin cycle.

• Advertisement

It was Mike. All coming from Irish sea. It set some house alarms off in the Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

any chance it's a sonic boom? British air force base in Angelsy.

Well there was a flash a few mins before.it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

just heard 1 just now,very weird,lasted very long,was like a rocket goin over the house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Just heard more thunder here in kilcoole, was 2 claps about 11 and now one very long loud rumble sounded like it was right over the house, loads of hail falling too

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IntheWood

Heard that too.

Decent clap of thunder and then a really weird long rumble afterwards. Not sure I've heard anything like that before.

Hail?.. but its all snow here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep hail, himself was out having a smoke and its def hail, tho it is sticking

Might be able to enlighten a little. I was out walking as I do,late,about 10:45 I was at Greystones seafront when there was a very bright yellow flash (yes yellow) which was like a headlight being shone everywhere.It came from out at sea and it looked like it came from a particular point but it only lasted an instant so I couldn't be sure (very weird) when I got to the harbour (clear skys, could see the stars) the thunder and sheet lightening started. When I got to my car about 30 mins later without anymore thunder-lightening.On the way home it started again (clear skys, could see stars ). Thought armagedon was starting. Safely ensconced in the house I decided to let the cat in about midnight as the thunder had got closer, to discover half an inch of snow (has melted somewhat now) Very odd weather. Never saw yellow lightening before but I am assuming that's what the first flash was unless it struck something out at sea and caused an explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Lightning has many colors that tell you what is in the air near a lightning strike. If there is rain in the cloud the bolt will appear red, and blue if there is hail. Yellow lightning is made by a lot of dust in the air. And last is white lightning. This is the result of low humidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Its never too cold for thunder. In fact you can have a thunder storm which produces snow. Have never witnessed one but would love to.

Well last night you got it, It was pouring with snow at about midnight and fork lightning to the south of us, I loved it

youknowwho wrote: »
    Well last night you got it, It was pouring with snow at about midnight and fork lightning to the south of us, I loved it

Yes it was a great sight.

Anything further can be discussed here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102576

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement