Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »
    Not much hope for snow in the south it looks like - although cold and crisp which is christmassy enough i suppose:D

remember what happened last year? with this low on tuesday it may well give snow in unexpected places and rain in others. my gut instinct tells me this will be a rain and snow mix for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Not much hope for snow in the south it looks like - although cold and crisp which is christmassy enough i suppose:D

hey u - there must be snow in the air given we're both on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

hey u - there must be snow in the air given we're both on again!

haha i know - me and my unhealthy love of snow! Hopefully it will pay off for each one of us here hoping and praying;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Britain is facing a ten-day wintry blast from the North Sea with temperatures plummeting as low as minus 6C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Was it just me as a young lad who used to feel sick to the core of your stomach years ago as a kid when it started to snow and your da would come in from work and mutter those dreaded words, "it's not sticking"?!?

• Advertisement

Was it just me as a young lad who used to feel sick to the core of your stomach years ago as a kid when it started to snow and your da would come in from work and mutter those dreaded words, "it's not sticking"?!?

haha brilliant:D I hated when my parent used to say that too - "that's only wet snow....it won't stay on the ground at all":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Anyway to find out what the weather will be like this day 2 weeks.

Getting married on Dec 10th and would love weather similar to what were getting now. Cold and Sunny with a slight frost :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I know the expections are high here for next Tuesday for the potential for heavy snow! I don't want to damping the enthusiasm but the latest GFS run has backed off on this storm since yesterday.

Just looking at this morning compared to this time yesterday the storm has filled out slightly but more worrying its alot further east over south Belgium making a track through Holland and into the north sea where before it had been over southeast England. It just might be a wobble as the say!!!

But on a good note the ECM is sticking to it's guns keeping on a track along southeast England which is very good for southern Ireland.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    further west is good for us. Not too bothered that it's somewhat weaker. As long as it is tracking a little closer our way.

If you hate snow, I apologise for my overpowering desire to see snow fall here next tuesday :p

I actually meant to say further east, not west! :P Sorry Wofle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

steps_3314 wrote: »

Getting married on Dec 10th and would love weather similar to what were getting now. Cold and Sunny with a slight frost :):)

Yeah sure is,
    Get a hat and some paper
    Write wet on one piece of paper
    Dry on another, then hot, cold etc
    And pick one
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

steps_3314 wrote: »

cold, dry, wet, snowy, frosty, windy or heatwave. One of these

hotwhiskey wrote: »

But on a good note the ECM is sticking to it's guns keeping on a track along southeast England which is very good for southern Ireland.:)

WOOHOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I know the expections are high here for next Tuesday for the potential for heavy snow! I don't want to damping the enthusiasm but the latest GFS run has backed off on this storm since yesterday.

Just looking at this morning compared to this time yesterday the storm has filled out slightly but more worrying its alot further east over south Belgium making a track through Holland and into the north sea where before it had been over southeast England. It just might be a wobble as the say!!!

i just can't understand the gfs being so bullish early on about low of that intensity, then backing off when it comes closer to time. there could be a lot of toys strewn about the place over on netweather over the latest gfs ouput, but it just shows that you should always be skeptical of their mouth watering outputs in fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

which would you consider more reliable?!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

MUSEIST wrote: »
    cold, dry, wet, snowy, frosty, windy or heatwave. One of these

Great...bit closer to knowing at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

which would you consider more reliable?!

Lol!:D I asked the same question here earlier on this week!

Answer i got ECM.:)

Lol!:D I asked the same question here earlier on this week!

Answer i got ECM.:)

This is fantastic news! For me....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just looked over all the models and we are still on track really from tomorrow morning. Later tonight we will see the first showers on the East coast. Probrably hail and sleet at first on the coast but turning to snow later in the night. And then it's a case of snow showers in the East and Southeast through tomorrow, tomorrow night and Sunday and on into Sunday night. At times showers could be patchy but pepping up also now and again.

The UKMO is probrably best for the shortest term or the next 24 hrs. Very cold. Showers will be of mostly snow (maybe some hail at times, no bad thing) there is no doubt about it.

Midnight tonight

Rukm242.gif

6am

Rukm302.gif

Interesting fax chart for later tonight

fax24s.gif

Temperatures falling very low tonight - down to -5 in places with severe frost and ice where rain, sleet or snow falls today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

An interesting (or pointless) stat. Yesterday's mean temperature (IMT of 1.8c) was the lowest daily mean IMT temperature recorded since the 8th of March. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

An interesting (or pointless) stat. Yesterday's mean temperature (IMT of 1.8c) was the lowest daily mean IMT temperature recorded since the 8th of March. :)

Ditto here! Except I had a mean here yesterday of 1.25c, being the lowest since March 8th. Didn't post up earlier as it is pointless (but interesting). :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've limited access to models today as I'm using my phone but could someone post the latest GFS forecast sounding for Dublin Airport (EIDW) for 12Z Saturday, like the one I posted last night?

Go to http://www.ready.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html and type in EIDW for airport code. Select "Sounding" and model timescale, select 00Z run, select 27th 12Z, 1200dpi, to 400hPa only and the security code and then save the resulting image as a png. I'm just interested in if it's changed at all overnight.

Thanks slaves, now get to work....whittttish!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

That what you're looking for?

41397403_profile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

42167368_profile.gif

Am I incorrect? :-)

Actuall I got it to work on my phone! The 06Z run has upgraded slightly with the warm layer now about 1000ft....better but still not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

My effort. Probably wrong.

42537760_profile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Am I seeing this wrong or can you see the track of the shower in the Irish sea veering towards us on the rainfall radar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    I've limited access to models today as I'm using my phone but could someone post the latest GFS forecast sounding for Dublin Airport (EIDW) for 12Z Saturday, like the one I posted last night?

Go to http://www.ready.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html and type in EIDW for airport code. Select "Sounding" and model timescale, select 00Z run, select 27th 12Z, 1200dpi, to 400hPa only and the security code and then save the resulting image as a png. I'm just interested in if it's changed at all overnight.

Thanks slaves, now get to work....whittttish!! :D
    Probably done it wrong, but here it is.

Shows Zero Temp Therm at circa 975mb
    42697660_profile.gif

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    My effort. Probably wrong.

42537760_profile.gif

Bang on! Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ditto here! Except I had a mean here yesterday of 1.25c, being the lowest since March 8th. Didn't post up earlier as it is pointless (but interesting). :)

A more modest mean 2.5c here Docarch as temps rose yesterday evening along with the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

My Accuweather app is giving a warning for Dublin of 1-3 inch accumulations on Sunday. Is Accuweather reliable ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement