Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

darkman2 wrote: »
    Later tonight we will see the first showers on the East coast. Probrably hail and sleet at first on the coast but turning to snow later in the night. And then it's a case of snow showers in the East and Southeast through tomorrow,

Hey Darkman, do you think there is any chance of us in the wesssht seeing any shhhhnoooow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Maybe for a time tonight but unfortunately it does not look like it for the weekend. It's possible some flurries could get through on Sunday but unlikely. Easterly winds and all that. But you are better placed for a frontal event next week then most! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A White Xmas for someone? (in the UK at least)

UK Outlook for Saturday 11 Dec 2010 to Saturday 25 Dec 2010:

The cold conditions are likely to continue. Precipitation amounts should be average or slightly below, with a risk of sleet and snow at times in many areas. Sunshine amounts are likely to be above average, although some southeastern parts may see more in the way of cloud. Temperatures are likely to continue well below average, with widespread frosts, sometimes severe. However, some western and southern parts may be less cold at the start of the period in particular, but still with the risk of further rain, sleet and snow.

Updated: 1205 on Fri 26 Nov 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Living in Dublin seems to have the odd advantage it seems! Somehow I hate to say it but I think we'll be here on Sunday and it'll have been a non-event for the east coast... Hope I'm completely wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Maybe for a time tonight but unfortunately it does not look like it for the weekend. It's possible some flurries could get through on Sunday but unlikely. Easterly winds and all that. But you are better placed for a frontal event next week then most! :)

And what's your prediction for the dear old South Darkman?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Weather Warning

Issued at 26 November 2010 - 12:30
    Update to snow warning
    From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend snow showers will give accumulations of 3 to 5 cm at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.
    It doesn't give locations mind you! Presume its North, Northeast and East

oterra wrote: »
    Weather Warning

Update to snow warning
    From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend snow showers will give accumulations of 3 to 5 cm at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.
    It doesn't give locations mind you! Presume its North, Northeast and East

That's because it's going to be a whiteout nationwide:D........hopefully!

The Southwest will be the dryest place in the country but also I suspect the coldest. The Southeast will have snow showers - I think the Southeast (Carlow, Killkenny, Wicklow, Waterford) will see the most accumulations of snow and it's difficult to see snow melting by day in those counties as temperatures will be at or close to freezing. May aswell throw in the North aswell - Eastern parts of the North getting appreciable amounts of snow. Basically the further East you are the better but preferably a few miles in from the coast the snow will stay longer.

The Southwest will be the dryest place in the country but also I suspect the coldest. The Southeast will have snow showers - I think the Southeast (Carlow, Killkenny, Wicklow, Waterford) will see the most accumulations of snow and it's difficult to see snow melting by day in those counties as temperatures will be at or close to freezing. May aswell throw in the North aswell - Eastern parts of the North getting appreciable amounts of snow. Basically the further East you are the better but preferably a few miles in from the coast the snow will stay longer.

:( Ah well might as well just accept it - Cork is just not the best place to be in Ireland if you love snow! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A White Xmas for someone? (in the UK at least)

UK Outlook for Saturday 11 Dec 2010 to Saturday 25 Dec 2010:

The cold conditions are likely to continue. Precipitation amounts should be average or slightly below, with a risk of sleet and snow at times in many areas. Sunshine amounts are likely to be above average, although some southeastern parts may see more in the way of cloud. Temperatures are likely to continue well below average, with widespread frosts, sometimes severe. However, some western and southern parts may be less cold at the start of the period in particular, but still with the risk of further rain, sleet and snow.

Updated: 1205 on Fri 26 Nov 2010

hmm that sounds like it'll be cold here either side of Christmas. anyway it's a long way off. Good to see there are not talking of raging zonality in the forseeable future anyway. their monthly outlooks are fairly bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I love you man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »
    :( Ah well might as well just accept it - Cork is just not the best place to be in Ireland if you love snow! lol

don't give up hope. the longer this goes on the greater the chances snow could pop up anywhere- especially if we get a battle ground scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I hope to wake up to a decent covering tomorrow..

battle ground scenario.

:eek: sounds interesting! what is that - the cold front fighting against a warm front and the cold front winning?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Defcol wrote: »
    I hope to wake up to a decent covering tomorrow..

Try not to kick the duvet off during the night so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

t|nt|n wrote: »

HAHAHHAHA....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Waterford favoured for snow? I never thought I'd see the day! Looking forward to this, big time! Hopefully there won't be any late downgrades.

Thanks again to the regulars on this forum... excellent, fascinating posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ha Ha nice try, you won't fool us that easy :P :pac:

The Southwest will be the dryest place in the country but also I suspect the coldest. The Southeast will have snow showers - I think the Southeast (Carlow, Killkenny, Wicklow, Waterford) will see the most accumulations of snow and it's difficult to see snow melting by day in those counties as temperatures will be at or close to freezing.

Hope you are right Darkman, but we don't usually get snow showers reaching as far as Waterford from the Irish Sea in this kind of a setup due to terrain and the distance the showers have to travel.

Tuesday/Wednesday might be more interesting if things fall on the right side of marginal. I have my doubts though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

fricatus wrote: »
    Waterford favoured for snow? I never thought I'd see the day! Looking forward to this, big time! Hopefully there won't be any late downgrades.

Thanks again to the regulars on this forum... excellent, fascinating posts!

I presume darkman meant wexford rather than waterford? Sorry to put a dampener on it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford IS the south east and it's always left out of these statements, Why is that? Black briar pulled someone up on it a while back too saying wexford gets most of the streamers off the irish sea.

I presume darkman meant wexford rather than waterford? Sorry to put a dampener on it :o

Yes, Wexford will certainly do a lot better out of this than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Hi all, long time looker first time poster on this forum, (Love Snow by the way :D)

Just looking at the more major frontal snow event scenarios rather than this weekends showers, that low heading up for spain is v interesting for midweek, uk met already issuing advisories for potential blizzard conditions in uk due to that wrasping NE wind fighting the front of the Low as it heads for Belgium we could get lucky if it stays east of UK and drags that lovely Scandi wind towards us...:eek:

Any one any comments on the long term models, dare I say a predicted breakdown coming up to next weekend?? Looks to my (uneducated eye) that a low could form under this current greenland high a bust through.. although it's projected track is over scotland so good for after it passes.. long way off and very unpredictable I KNOW!

great forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Update to snow warning

Very cold wintry conditions this weekend

From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend, snow showers will mainly affect Ulster, east and south Leinster, as well as parts of north and west Connaught and Kerry. Accumulations of 3 to
    5 cm are likely at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.

A few scattered wintry showers elsewhere.

There will be sharp or severe frosts at night, leading to ice formation on damp untreated roads, with some freezing fog in parts too.

Further regular updates will follow as events unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Pangea wrote: »
    Update to snow warning

Very cold wintry conditions this weekend

From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend, snow showers will mainly affect Ulster, east and south Leinster, as well as parts of north and west Connaught and Kerry. Accumulations of 3 to
    5 cm are likely at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.

A few scattered wintry showers elsewhere.

There will be sharp or severe frosts at night, leading to ice formation on damp untreated roads, with some freezing fog in parts too.

Further regular updates will follow as events unfold.

Do they mean below or above 250m??? Seems a strange way to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

t|nt|n wrote: »

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Forecast there said tempertures will be 0c tomorrow in some places :eek:
    Unreal forecasts for November , snow mentioned a lot too!
    Su Campu wrote: »
    Its Below 250m ,strange way to put it alright, I assume above 250m it would be a lot heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

NAE shows upto 26mm accumed precip along the east coast by tomorrow evening.

Interesting.

Yes, Wexford will certainly do a lot better out of this than us!

No, I mean in terms of the most accumulation potential. Wexford is a coastal county so it will have the same issues as Dublin with snow thawing quicker then inland. I did not forget about Wexford:P

Of course you will have snow but all im saying is the most accumulations IMO will occur in the counties mentioned. Wickloow the most obvious due to higher ground. Actually that's a nother thing. Going up to the mountains from tomorrow morning onward probrably would not be the brightest idea.....

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »

I would assume they mean below, with perhaps higher accumulations above 250m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement