Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's true, today marks the start of business, but on Tuesday I said we wouldn't see many sub-zero temperatures until tonight and I was slated. Others said we'd have them before last night's rain and after it cleared but there was always going to be too much cloud cover for that.

Regarding Tuesday, it would look a more organised chance of more widespread snow. It will be frontal, as opposed to this weekend's convective nature, so with warm overrunning we could see bands of snow to maybe all levels inland, still dodgy at the windward coasts. Of course the exact evolution of this low will determine the minor details

I think pretty much anyone who followed this forum last year knows your the voice of reason and usually turn out to be bang on the money. So for god sake with things looking so good at the moment can you do a huge snow ramp forecast for the coming days so I can get excited ? :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

darkman2 wrote: »
    No, I mean in terms of the most accumulation potential. Wexford is a coastal county so it will have the same issues as Dublin with snow thawing quicker then inland. I did not forget about Wexford:P

Well Waterford is a coastal county too. :p Do you think that won't be as much of an issue since the wind will be coming over land here rather than from the coast?

It's just from historical experience I've seen those Irish Sea showers die out before they reach us virtually all of the time.

I just have the BBC wales lunchtime news wales today on and they are showing how the irish sea snow showers are plastering wales at the moment.

They showed the beach at Aberystwyth on cardigan bay in west wales covered in snow and heavy snow falling.Thats right on the coast in the daytime!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

premiercad wrote: »
    Hi all, long time looker first time poster on this forum, (Love Snow by the way :D)

Just looking at the more major frontal snow event scenarios rather than this weekends showers, that low heading up for spain is v interesting for midweek, uk met already issuing advisories for potential blizzard conditions in uk due to that wrasping NE wind fighting the front of the Low as it heads for Belgium we could get lucky if it stays east of UK and drags that lovely Scandi wind towards us...:eek:

Any one any comments on the long term models, dare I say a predicted breakdown coming up to next weekend?? Looks to my (uneducated eye) that a low could form under this current greenland high a bust through.. although it's projected track is over scotland so good for after it passes.. long way off and very unpredictable I KNOW!

great forum

It's tricky by midweek. It's a long way out due to the evolution - it depends how deep and how far north the system gets and for snow it's hard to know which is better but the 6z GFS has a pretty good scenario

120_30.gif

ECM has it a bit further north and the deeper it is the bigger the warm sector. The ECM is not ideal but it's not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

HIRLAM tool spot on usually at 24hrs out regarding precip
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on nedbor

wicklow mountains ski lifts should be open by tomorrow night according to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: sounds interesting! what is that - the cold front fighting against a warm front and the cold front winning?:D

yes. the cold air battling the milder air and hopefully teaching it a lesson in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    HIRLAM tool spot on usually at 24hrs out regarding precip
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on nedbor

wicklow mountains ski lifts should be open by tomorrow night according to this

WHAT,.... SKI LIFTS IN THE WICKLOW MOUNTAINS?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Well Waterford is a coastal county too. :p Do you think that won't be as much of an issue since the wind will be coming over land here rather than from the coast?

It's just from historical experience I've seen those Irish Sea showers die out before they reach us virtually all of the time.

Yes, Waterford is not as exposed as Wexford to a Northeasterly wind. Ok maybe I should keep my mouth shut now for fear of revenge from Waterfordonians if this all goes pear shaped:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Su Campu wrote: »
    Do they mean below or above 250m??? Seems a strange way to put it.

I would assume that the 'below' bit is the main reason for the warning. I think in the current weather conditions it's taken as given that there will be snow on high ground.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    sarcasm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just have the BBC wales lunchtime news wales today on and they are showing how the irish sea snow showers are plastering wales at the moment.

They showed the beach at Aberystwyth on cardigan bay in west wales covered in snow and heavy snow falling.Thats right on the coast in the daytime!

i hope the east is plastered just to see how Gerry 'Chionophobia' Murphy handles it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sarcasm.jpg

Im a person who would believe that gullible aint in the dictionary!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Iancar29 wrote: »

EDIT: and here's the real thing: http://www.skiclub.ie/Location/Default.209.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

funny how the rte news at 1 finished off with small report about snow in northern spain but mentioned nothing about up coming cold weather here :eek:

Sounds like a bit of an upgrade on the latest ME forecast for tonight?

Current Forecast:
    Friday, 26 November 2010 12:39

Tonight

Wintry showers affecting northern and western counties tonight, some falling as snow, in particular over Ulster. Later in the night snow showers will feed in from the Irish Sea to affect much of east Leinster, with some snow accumulations here towards morning. Lowest temperatures of -3 to 0 degrees, with a widespread severe frost and icy patches, and light northerly breezes.

Tomorrow

Some further snowfall across the north and east tomorrow morning. Sunny spells elsewhere, but wintry showers of rain, hail, and sleet feeding into west Connacht and west Munster later in the day, falling as snow in places too. Bitterly cold, with highest temperatures just 1 to 3 degrees. Winds will be mainly moderate to fresh northeasterly, later switching northerly and easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

The picture below is from the Wicklow mountains [NOTE: that's a picture from the past! not last night], not a joke. If you look closely you _will_ see a ski lift.

skiclub.jpg

EDIT: the picture above was taken from the Ski Club's facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

delw wrote: »
    funny how the rte news at 1 finished off with small report about snow in northern spain but mentioned nothing about up coming cold weather here :eek:
    Typical from rte,that shower are always backword

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Does the fact that we're getting such low temperatures and snow this early mean that it could get even colder come December/January? Or does it have no bearing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Typical from rte,that shower are always backword

backwArd indeed!

the HIRLAM model shows up some fairly heavy wintry showers over Galway, Clare, North Tipp, Limerick, north Cork and Kerry tomorrow evening. One to watch out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

http://www.skiclub.ie/Location/Default.209.html

That lift is at about 130m up to 220m, so it can get a bit of snow. Last year they opened up the golf course for skiing on real snow. Lasted just over a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would assume they mean below, with perhaps higher accumulations above 250m.

I would also assume they do mean below 250m,hence the warning. I doubt they would issue alerts for snow that would only affect high altitude areas as it's a given that those areas would get it??

their latest warning seems to have expanded the areas in the firing line now with West connaght and Kerry also so more of you can get in on the fun!! :D

Issued at 26 November 2010 - 12:30
    Update to snow warning
    Very cold wintry conditions this weekend

From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend, snow showers will mainly affect Ulster, east and south Leinster, as well as parts of north and west Connaught and Kerry. Accumulations of 3 to
    5 cm are likely at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.

A few scattered wintry showers elsewhere.

There will be sharp or severe frosts at night, leading to ice formation on damp untreated roads, with some freezing fog in parts too.

Further regular updates will follow as events unfold.

leahyl wrote: »
    Does the fact that we're getting such low temperatures and snow this early mean that it could get even colder come December/January? Or does it have no bearing on it?

as if you don't know you weather expert! as far as i know, i doubt it makes a difference but may signal a trend..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just caught the sky news forecast there, There graphic showed all the showers in the irish sea which are currently brushing wales as ALL snow. Then showed the wind change between 11 pm and 2am to north easterly and all the showers hammer the east coast all the way from the north to rosslare all still graphically represented as snow.

:)

the HIRLAM model shows up some fairly heavy wintry showers over Galway, Clare, North Tipp, Limerick, north Cork and Kerry tomorrow evening. One to watch out for.

am watching it closely wolfe - here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

NAE shows upto 26mm accumed precip along the east coast by tomorrow evening.

Interesting.

highly likely...the not-so-strong NEasterly flow (22nd Nov) brought over 16 mm in Dublin Airport , totals were above 20mm here on the coast near Dun laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

as if you don't know you weather expert! as far as i know, i doubt it makes a difference but may signal a trend..

Weather expert - ME?:eek: lol! Oh good i hope it signals a trend - esp come December 24th/25th....

baraca wrote: »
    Just caught the sky news forecast there, There graphic showed all the showers in the irish sea which are currently brushing wales as ALL snow. Then showed the wind change between 11 pm and 2am to north easterly and all the showers hammer the east coast all still graphically represented as snow.

:)

That is reflected in the latest Met Eireann forecast :

"Later in the night snow showers will feed in from the Irish Sea to affect much of east Leinster"

No mention of sleet, rain or hail there. Thats not to say there won't be mixing, but Met Eireann who are usually cautious in how they term things seem confident enough to mention snow exclusively for the east tonight & tomorrow morning.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I would also assume they do mean below 250m,hence the warning. I doubt they would issue alerts for snow that would only affect high altitude areas as it's a given that those areas would get it??

their latest warning seems to have expanded the areas in the firing line now with West connaght and Kerry also so more of you can get in on the fun!! :D

Issued at 26 November 2010 - 12:30
    Update to snow warning
    Very cold wintry conditions this weekend

From late Friday (26th November) through the weekend, snow showers will mainly affect Ulster, east and south Leinster, as well as parts of north and west Connaught and Kerry. Accumulations of 3 to
    5 cm are likely at times below 250 metres. These accumulations will occur mainly during the night time, with occasional thawing by day.

A few scattered wintry showers elsewhere.

There will be sharp or severe frosts at night, leading to ice formation on damp untreated roads, with some freezing fog in parts too.

Further regular updates will follow as events unfold.
    They've changed that already...9 mins later :confused::confused::eek::eek: saying rain on the east coast...

26 November 2010 12:39

Today Some scattered wintry showers of rain, hail and sleet today, generally affecting Ulster, Connacht and west Munster. A few of these will fall as snow over higher ground, mainly over Ulster. Mostly dry and bright elsewhere with good sunny spells Cold, with highest temperatures just 3 to 7 degrees, and moderate, occasionally fresh northwesterly winds.
    Tonight

Wintry showers affecting northern and western counties tonight, some falling as snow, in particular over Ulster. Later in the night snow showers will feed in from the Irish Sea to affect much of east Leinster, with some snow accumulations here towards morning. Lowest temperatures of -3 to 0 degrees, with a widespread severe frost and icy patches, and light northerly breezes. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Some further snowfall across the north and east tomorrow morning. Sunny spells elsewhere, but wintry showers of rain, hail, and sleet feeding into west Connacht and west Munster later in the day, falling as snow in places too. Bitterly cold, with highest temperatures just 1 to 3 degrees. Winds will be mainly moderate to fresh northeasterly, later switching northerly and easing.

Outlook

Saturday night will be extremely cold with a widespread severe frost and icy stretches on roads. Most places will be dry. However wintry showers of sleet and snow will affect coastal counties of Leinster, Ulster and north Connacht. The showers in these areas will continue on Sunday. They'll fall mainly as rain or sleet along the coast, but will fall as snow further inland. Most of the country will be dry and bright with sunny spells. Day time temperatures will only reach between 0 and 2 degrees and there'll be another severe frost on Sunday night. From Monday through to Friday it will continue to be extremely cold mainly moderate northeasterly winds. Daytime temperatures will range from 0 to 2 degrees and with values dropping as low as -5 or -6 at night giving severe frosts. Most of the country will be dry, but wintry showers of sleet and snow will continue to affect coastal counties of Leinster, Ulster and north Connacht. The showers in Leinster will push further inland at times and will fall as snow.

• Advertisement

That is reflected in the latest Met Eireann forecast :

"Later in the night snow showers will feed in from the Irish Sea to affect much of east Leinster"

No mention of sleet, rain or hail there. Thats not to say there won't be mixing, but Met Eireann who are usually cautious in how they term things seem confident enough to mention snow exclusively for the east tonight & tomorrow morning.
    That hirlam model wolfie posted has the showers plastering into waterford and east cork too.
    I kinda trust hirlam at t-24hrs too.

Also Siobhán Ryan said snow showers in the east from late tonight onwards and she did not say sleet or rain on the coast.

Mixed messages coming out of glasnevin underlining some of the uncertainty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement