Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

anyone else find the UKMO overall rainfall radar a bit clearer than Met Eireann?? shows plenty of big showers in over sligo heading your way Figuramatyi :D
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MATTHE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]also looks covers a little more out to sea, useless when zoomed in though and wont show the republic :mad:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snow is beginnig to stick here! :D

Good stuff paddy1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snow is beginnig to stick here! :D

:eek::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow must be sticking goodo up at Knock airport now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 valuseeker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

premiercad wrote: »
    anyone else find the UKMO overall rainfall radar a bit clearer than Met Eireann?? shows plenty of big showers in over sligo heading your way Figuramatyi :D
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MATTHE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]also looks covers a little more out to sea, useless when zoomed in though and wont show the republic :mad:

Yeah the first massive patch decided to hit Loughrea instead, but there's a nice chain shaping up behind, with the rest seeming to come a little more to the west.... I'm just worried it'll happen after dusk, so we won't see it in light :(

KNOCK AIRPORT(P) N 18 Gust 30 SNOW SHOWER 1 94

According to the NRA met sations the air temp seems cold enough and reports from other boards members.. those showers are of snow.!!!!!:D

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I am glad Met Eireann updated their snow warning because I am old enough and my father is certainly old enough to know that easterly winds or from that general direction in winter means snow around north Kilkenny.
    My father hates snow as he remembers the hardship of 1947 when the ditches disappeared and the snow just didn't melt for a long time and how food was still rationed after the war...
    He has always said the worst direction (best if you like snow) for snow is from the east.

Anyway looks like we might get blizzards on Tuesday...from the east...

According to the NRA met sations the air temp seems cold enough and reports from other boards members.. those showers are of snow.!!!!!:D

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

Tuam:

Air Temperature (1) 0.6 °C

Dew Point Temperature (1) -1.0 °C

Bring them ooon!! :D Lovely evening, see you folks tonight at the Christmas Market on Eyre Square, in pouring snow :D

baraca wrote: »
    Anyone else excited like a little child? Watching the toy show tonight with the young fella watchin the snow fall outside, christmas starts tonight! :)

(okay maybe it won't be falling when the toy show is on but shhh don't ruin my fantasy.)

excited??? Im ready to bust!!LOL.
    Whole wintry night planned. Got me some logs and turf earlier today :)
    Toy show on, ( even tho all I have is a grumpy teenager :) I can pretend too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

id say with the showers that are hitting up north that a certain boardie from coleraine must be foaming at the mouth :D

I hope that these words will be become true!
    In the meantime, heavy snow showers are attacking Connacht, not yet in Galway but my hopes are high :)

Web_radar.gif

Edit: animgif not working linked. Learned sg. today too!

Edit 2: that massive patch will *just* miss us by an inch to the east.. so typical :(
    Anyway, looking forward to the next 7-10 days with huge excitement :D

I can't believe how painfully close this is to us... :( The sky looks menacing towards NE, someone's getting a small blizzard there. Athenry?

delw wrote: »
    id say with the showers that are hitting up north that a certain boardie from coleraine must be foaming at the mouth :D

Was he banned for good?or just for a while? I have to admit, he was entertaining,,,,:o, annoying, but entertaining.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

I can't believe how painfully close this is to us... :( The sky looks menacing towards NE, someone's getting a small blizzard there. Athenry?

I know :(
    I'd love to see some. Just studying away here looking out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Nice little stream of showers coming in from north Mayo for the next few hours over east Galway, headed straight for me...... :D

meteoalarm has now upgraded warnings for ireland

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index2.php?lang=&country=IE&day=0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jake1 wrote: »
    Was he banned for good?or just for a while? I have to admit, he was entertaining,,,,:o, annoying, but entertaining.:)

Yes whatever happend to owenc?! I wasn't around when it all kicked off:D

On another note Cork must be the most unlucky county in Ireland when it comes to getting snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

210 (80 members & 130 guests)
    baraca, darkman2, greenpeter, average_runner, noworries, Coopaloop, rhonin, delw, odyboody, Drakmord, tristangkc, goodies, patneve2, Hooter23, ffarrell7, Su Campu, byrneno7, talkabout, MayoForSam, Jake1, DOCARCH, t|nt|n, munsterlegend, golfnut84, spiralbound, bambam26, hawkelady, eskimocat, almat1981, Stevek101, Harps, B0X, premiercad, Silcocky, Figuramatyi, Slydice, babyhack, Defcol, Diddler1977, NoodleMc, LostChild, snowjon, joe199, Strasser, Downtime, maquiladora, glossy, nacho libre, Min, FunkSoulSista, Weathercheck, Musicman2000, girvtheswerve, jarvis, mickger844posts, kstand, kqcregg, mars bar, Deep Easterly, random_banter, fricatus, Winger_PL, Cashel Mc, Bigcheeze, joe316, brown bear, farmchoice, eoinor, gothwalk, Saganist, Dow99, WolfeIRE, Dotsie~tmp, Pangea, JanuarySnowstor, rockdrummer4

Ya'd know it's winter anyway :pac:

Drakmord wrote: »
    I know :(
    I'd love to see some. Just studying away here looking out the window.

Worry not, the snow train is only starting... getting the real deal is on the way too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

baraca, darkman2, greenpeter, average_runner, noworries, Coopaloop, rhonin, delw, odyboody, Drakmord, tristangkc, goodies, patneve2, Hooter23, ffarrell7, Su Campu, byrneno7, talkabout, MayoForSam, Jake1, DOCARCH, t|nt|n, munsterlegend, golfnut84, spiralbound, bambam26, hawkelady, eskimocat, almat1981, Stevek101, Harps, B0X, premiercad, Silcocky, Figuramatyi, Slydice, babyhack, Defcol, Diddler1977, NoodleMc, LostChild, snowjon, joe199, Strasser, Downtime, maquiladora, glossy, nacho libre, Min, FunkSoulSista, Weathercheck, Musicman2000, girvtheswerve, jarvis, mickger844posts, kstand, kqcregg, mars bar, Deep Easterly, random_banter, fricatus, Winger_PL, Cashel Mc, Bigcheeze, joe316, brown bear, farmchoice, eoinor, gothwalk, Saganist, Dow99, WolfeIRE, Dotsie~tmp, Pangea, JanuarySnowstor, rockdrummer4

ahh i see JanuarySnowstor is about. any predictions for cork in the short term or must we wait for a bigger event maybe next tuesday/wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z runs should be interesting, will help nail down a bit more detail about tonight and weekend. Need to keep an eye on Tuesday too and see what the trend is that potential situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Advisory of severe or extreme weather

Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Armagh
    Co Derry
    Co Down
    Co Fermanagh
    Co Tyrone
    Widespread Icy Roads 1700 Fri 26 1100 Sat 27

Wintry showers will lead to widespread ice on any untreated surfaces during this evening, overnight and Saturday morning. Some slight accumulations of snow are also possible.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1452 Fri 26 Nov

These advisories are issued by 1300 daily as routine, though they may be updated at other times if required. They indicate confidence of expected severe or extreme weather. Early warnings and Flash Warnings supersede advisories when confidence levels are 60% or greater.
    Risk of disruption Warning Valid
    Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Derry
    Co Down
    Heavy Snow Sat 27 Nov

Snow showers will affect many parts of the UK, especially northern and eastern areas of Scotland and England, southwestern parts of England and parts of Northern Ireland. These areas may see further accumulations of 2 to 5cm and perhaps as much as an additional 15cm over some hills across northeastern Britain.

Icy stretches will develop on untreated surfaces.

Issued at: 1253 Fri 26 Nov
    Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Down
    Heavy Snow Sun 28 Nov

Snow showers will continue to affect many parts of the UK, especially the North, the East and the far Southwest. Here, further accumulations of 2 to 5cm are expected for some parts with as much as 15cm over some hills in Northern England and Scotland.

Icy stretches will develop on untreated surfaces.

Issued at: 1308 Fri 26 Nov

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

meteoalarm has now upgraded warnings for ireland

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index2.php?lang=&country=IE&day=0
    upgraded to orange warning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Snowing quite heavy in Athenry at the moment, sticking too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

First 12z model is out (GME). Pretty solid in terms of snow over the weekend - the East and North. Into next week if anything even colder. Keeping a strong continental Easterly flow throughout.

Monday

gme-0-60.png?12

Wednesday

gme-0-108.png?12

gme-1-108.png?12

That's not normal very cold conditions for Ireland and constant snow showers:pac:

For those not use to the chart above it's basically the temperature at roughly 1,500m.

Redshift wrote: »
    Snowing quite heavy in Athenry at the moment, sticking too

Yep, this is what missed us by an inch. I'm in Ballybrit and I'm practically sitting under the edge of that snow monster.

Confirmed heavy snow from Loughrea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Even better the Meteorological winter doesn't start until Wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

It's getting cloudier in Galway but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Work in Dublin 15. Its been clear skies above all day, a few clouds starting to drift in slowly from the east now. Still mainly heading south at the mo but its the most cloud here in the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

232 people on the weather forum! :D... KEEP IT GOIN PEOPLE! ha

* We should entice people from other forums to join the fun* :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement