Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not sure what that link says as didnt work for me but Sky are always on the ball.

It got it right last year about the big snow fall that never happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just hope it freezes a bit tonight before the precipitation arrives. It really is annoying to see that most of us are only likely to get sleet out of tonights feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I don't know what you are talking about - There was significant snowfall in Dublin from 31 December to 12 January with up to 20 centmetres lying in West Dublin and metres of the stuff in the Dublin mountains - it did not clear there high up until April. Don't know where you biggrin.gifare living but Dublin got a bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I don't know what you are talking about - There was significant snowfall in Dublin from 31 December to 12 January with up to 20 centmetres lying in West Dublin and metres of the stuff in the Dublin mountains - it did not clear there high up until April. Don't know where you biggrin.gifare living but Dublin got a bashing.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

There was a prediction of a major snow event and all schools were closed in anticipation. It never happened and Sky called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The one i was talking about was the one that was forecast for the Sunday and instead of snow it turned into rain.

We were a wash out in Lucan when that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I would be hoping for something like this http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101125/video/vuk-snow-in-yorkshire-49bfa63.html
    I don't think it looks like happening in the current cold spell, but it's a long winter and i have plenty of patience

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

What are the latest runs saying? I've looked at the charts but its all hieroglyphics to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

alfa beta wrote: »
    Ah, welcome to the seedy and dangerous world that is meteorology where criminal gangs roam the internet armed with deadly GFSs and UKMOs, deliberately seeking out naive novice weather fans and luring them into a world of rampant ramping, a world where only the strong survive and the rest are left to struggle endlessly with that most agonizing of concepts, 'marginality'.

The guy was a pedophile so let's not joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

defcol,

east and north will see most of any showery activity come the weekend. Monday, and more particularly Tue and Wed bring the threat of heavy and prolonged showers for the rest of the country.

Leinster and East Munster, along with parts of Ulster presently are at most risk of seeing snow accumulating over the next five days.

cold spell also looks like stick around for at least another 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Still nothing major on the way yet. Shocking waste of a greenland blocking high.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    defcol,

east and north will see most of any showery activity come the weekend. Monday, and more particularly Tue and Wed bring the threat of heavy and prolonged showers for the rest of the country.

Leinster and East Munster, along with parts of Ulster presently are at most risk of seeing snow accumulating over the next five days.

cold spell also looks like stick around for at least another 10 days.

Thanks Wolfe! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's Newcastle in England this morning.

article-1332822-0C3B34AF000005DC-804_634x419.jpg
    article-1332822-0C3B108C000005DC-275_634x372.jpg
    article-1332822-0C3B10C9000005DC-889_634x412.jpg

The guy was a pedophile so let's not joke.

I thought it was funny. It's not as if he referred to him being a paedophile, C'mon man ligthten up it's christmas!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

:confused: not here there wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

baraca wrote: »
    I thought it was funny. It's not as if he referred to him being a paedophile, C'mon man ligthten up it's christmas!

:)

post removed guys - didn't know the reason - and weathercheck is right - not jokey subject mattter

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

According to the AA snow has fallen this morning in Rathdrum and Laragh and also higher up in the wicklow mounains.:D:D:D

redsunset wrote: »
    Still nothing major on the way yet. Shocking waste of a greenland blocking high.

it's still better than prevailling south westerlies with temperatures in the low- to mid-teens. anyway if the cold is sustained, which present indications suggest it will be, a decent fall of snow will happen at some stage- whether it's due to a trough, polar low or a frontal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

it's still better than prevailling south westerlies with temperatures in the low- to mid-teens. anyway if the cold is sustained, which present indications suggest it will be, a decent fall of snow will happen at some stage- whether it's due to a trough, polar low or a frontal system.

looking at the gfs chart it seem to have plenty confidence in snowfall all over the country. tonight will be interesting with that front coming down hopefully it retains its strength moving south!! its the surprise snowfalls that are usually the best...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ah i know i just don't want this great block to end with feck all to show for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

precip now showing north of donegal on 3hr chart
    136365.gif

alfa beta wrote: »
    post removed guys - didn't know the reason - and weathercheck is right - not jokey subject mattter

:rolleyes:

redsunset wrote: »
    ah i know i just don't want this great block to end with feck all to show for it.

i know what you mean. according to gp, over on netweather, it won't end anytime soon, so hopefully we'll have something noteworthy to talk about before it ends.
    also, as munsterlegends says, it's usually the unexpected snowfalls that are the best. that was definitely the case at times last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm still holding to my month long prediction. This is what I said in the November prediction thread on 26 October.......

"I'll start the ball rolling so:-

( 7.7 ..... 17.6 ..... -4.3..... 103 ..... 93 ..... 65)

As for snow, I'll say the first snow at one of the met.ie stations will be on 26 November.
    "

So snow tomorrow folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I see Sky News Online has a rather strange forecast :) lol

Sky News weather forecaster Nazaneen Ghaffar says more snow is predicted in the North East while "rain, sleep and hill snow will push in from the West - most of it settling in the South West in the Cornwall area and west of Wales".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Any comments on the 06z? Looks epic to me.

My personal favourite:

Rtavn1381.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The wind is starting to pick up here in Wexford,not looking forward to the wind-chill when I'm out and about later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I admire your optimism Nacho but cannot share it, at least for the moment. Looking at the latest charts I just get that dreaded 2009/2010 winter buzz where it remains cold but that is about it. Today is a perfect example of what I detest in a weather day. Bright, watery, maritime and unspeakably vapid. It is just like any day we had last winter, and indeed last summer for that matter.

I would rather raging south-westerlies than this to be honest, at least you'd be in with a chance of being hit by some proper active weather; or even some proper brisk drying cold easterlies in from the continent which would add colour to the sky.

Anyway, plenty of the forthcoming winter left so maybe winter 2010/2011 will avenge the crap dished out by last winter in these here parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

arctictree wrote: »
    Any comments on the 06z? Looks epic to me.

My personal favourite:

Rtavn1381.png

Plenty of wind chill, snow showers for Leinster, east Munster and Ulster and north Connaught.
    Just very cold, hands that feel like their fingers are icicles and feet that feel like blocks of ice...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement