Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looking at the satellite footage more closely, there seems to be a tight circulation in the Aberdeen area at about 1200 hours which looked more like a proper polar low, but there was no warm core associated with it either. The wind speeds associated with that circulation were also very timid.

I'm suprised that the sub -40 degree temps to the west and north of Scotland haven't led to something more pronounced than a couple of commas. The ECMWF seemed to pick up on the comma approaching Ireland's west coast particularly well.

yes. it seems to be hard these days to get a polar low even when conditions seem ripe for one. it's a real pity because places that wouldn't otherwise have much chance of seeing snow would likely see some snow out of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Temp, dewpoint, wind, weather and pressure at 6pm.

Snowing in Valentia with a dewpoint of +1.2°C? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM keeping things cold right out to next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Does Met.ie not have a proper bloody graphic for snow ? It looks like hail.

Soooo in the space of two hours we seem to have gone from predictions of East getting a quite a bit of snow tonight to very little or nothing or am I misinterpreting ?

There will be very heavy snow in the East over the next 72 hours starting last this evening. Grow up!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Su Campu wrote: »
    Temp, dewpoint, wind, weather and pressure at 6pm.

Snowing in Valentia with a dewpoint of +1.2°C? :confused:

I never even tought it snowed in Valentia!!!!! You drinkin????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    There will be very heavy snow in the East over the next 72 hours starting last this evening. Grow up!:D:D:D

If there isn't I'll be back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Raining in Limerick :(

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I never even tought it snowed in Valentia!!!!! You drinkin????

It could be small hail either.

Here's the official WMO definition of weather code 87 reported in the synop:
    Shower(s) of snow pellets or small hail, with or without rain or rain and snow mixed

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Raining in Clare, what are our chances of snow?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The air is slightly warmer then the rest of the country in the Southwest atm. This won't last. It will get colder in the next few hours but the showers may have gone by then.

UW6-7.GIF?26-18 Once it's above -6 on the 850 charts your in dodgier territory. It's sub -7C over the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just reading back on the threads from last year, very nostalgic! :p I'd recommend it though puts you in a right mood for the snow.

RTE Weather coming up now, hope it's good!

EDIT: Darkman your 6,000th post and my 800th in the last few posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Temp of 1.8, DP -.5 right on the seashore in the East . BRING IT ON !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Coudl the experts clarify something for me here??? I just got a txt from someone saying it's, "too cold to snow"... Is there any truth to this or is this just another one of those silly urban myths that gets recycled from time to time!?! Surely if it was ever too cold to snow, places like Siberia wouldn't be covered in snow?!? :D:D:D

Met Eireann have reported Valentia as a hail shower so that settles that.

The 6pm sounding shows a 600m warm layer in the area, so no way snow would survive that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Another batch of showers pushing down through Connacht at the moment (sorry I am being very very imby today)

136579.jpg

Just started snowing heavy here again. Nacho, how are things up there with you?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Did Evelyn give you guys in the East what ye wanted just now???:)

Weather forecast was good, Snow showers for the east tonight continuing till tomorrow morning. Interestingly they also showed that low pressure system next wednesday/thursday alot more potent looking than it did on the GFS latest run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

irish1967 wrote: »
    Did Evelyn give you guys in the East what ye wanted just now???:)

Well she did mention "mostly rain along the east coast" which might have a few on here going :eek: but overall I liked that forecast :)

Well she did mention "mostly rain along the east coast" which might have a few on here going :eek: but overall I liked that forecast :)

That was for tomorrow a.m and she did stress right along the coast and tbh she was probably just covering herself. No mention of rain for tonight at all.

Another batch of showers pushing down through Connacht at the moment (sorry I am being very very imby today)

136579.jpg

Just started snowing heavy here again. Nacho, how are things up there with you?? :)

there was heavy snow, but now it has gotten lighter again and in fact has turned sleety:(

so frustrating:mad:

• Advertisement

Coudl the experts clarify something for me here??? I just got a txt from someone saying it's, "too cold to snow"... Is there any truth to this or is this just another one of those silly urban myths that gets recycled from time to time!?! Surely if it was ever too cold to snow, places like Siberia wouldn't be covered in snow?!? :D:D:D

Technically it can be too cold to snow.

The colder the air is, the less water vapour it can hold, therefore the less snow it can produce. Also, if it's very cold then there won't be enough lift to generate precipitation.

But it's not too cold to snow here - the question is will it be too warm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great forecast from rte, tempertures not getting above 0 in some places tomorrow.
    Late November is a bit too early for temperatures to be close to freezing by day. it'll be more like 3 - 8 degrees.
    You where saying nacho? :D:D :P

Pangea wrote: »
    Great forecast from rte, tempertures not getting above 0 in some places tomorrow.

You where saying nacho? :D:D :P
    :o
    :pac:

there was heavy snow, but now it has gotten lighter again and in fact has turned sleety:(

so frustrating:mad:

Driving snow here with winds increasing but I notice temp is rising a little, 0.5c now, it just refuses to fall below freezing! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Driving snow here with winds increasing but I notice temp is rising a little, 0.5c now, it just refuses to fall below freezing! :(

Heavy sleety rain in Galway and temp has risen slightly to 1.4C :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Seems to be the same here, between showers everything is frozen then as soon at it clouds over the temperature rises again and it defrosts.

Current Claremorris webcam:

136594.jpg

with footprints added for effect!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Current Claremorris webcam:

with footprints added for effect!! :pac:
    For a moment I thought that cable box was an over turned car on the road :D

Fionagus wrote: »
    Heavy sleety rain in Galway and temp has risen slightly to 1.4C :(

I can't understand that Fi! :(. I wonder is the Corrib (Lough) having an affect on the temps there? It is snowing really heavy here now. I really hope you get something of it before it dies out..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I can't understand that Fi! :(. I wonder is the Corrib having an affect on the temps there? It is snowing really heavy here now. I really hope you get something of it before it dies out..

Now heavy SNOW!! :D:D

Almost whiteout conditions here now P and it's sticking :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement