Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

Sorry guys Im getting confused. Do we have to wait till fri night/ sat for snow in Dublin/ Kildare? would that be right?

my heads not with me today at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Saturday morning onwards would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sorry guys Im getting confused. Do we have to wait till fri night/ sat for snow in Dublin/ Kildare? would that be right?

Sat/Sun rather than Friday night, and again it's not guaranteed as streams of clouds will be rolling in from the Irish Sea meaning that snowfalls will be localized rather than a widespread fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

slightly off the topic of this weekends weather, but I just rooted out this article from September as it was one of the more interesting ones I've come across on weather:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sciencetoday/2010/0923/1224279493258.html

all because of what professor lockwood refers to as "set stream blocking"...

what we saw last year could be a sign of what normal winters will be like for the next several years. i never got to attend his evening lecture last september when he came to dublin but would like to have gone.

it's just another theory of course - he may be wrong, but perhaps the snow forecast this week is a gentle indication that he is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snow snow snow your boat..

Rtavn781.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS is encouraging for snow over the weekend in places. No downgrades there.

These charts are made for the Irish east coast, lets hope they stay true.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

12z is lookin good precip wise going into weekend for parts of North and South Ireland.

What about the rest of the country? :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What about the rest of the country? :rolleyes: :p

yes so mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

bryaner wrote: »
    Gone pretty dull and grey in Navan..

It has indeed, looks pretty snowy out there. Lovely redish orange strip on the western horizon where the clouds are closing in on. Lets hope we see some flakes tonight.:)

12Z NAE at 36 hours :

10112700_2512.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been snooping on the forum for the last 2 weeks waiting to see if this is a non-starter. Seems like somethings happening alright! Greyed over in the last half hour here in Athlone, but tis bright grey, so fingers crossed :o

12Z NAE at 36 hours :

10112700_2512.gif
    Its just simply inaccurate and a waste of bandwith in my opinion...snow way south of Ireland in the celtic sea falling as rain in cork... utterly ridiculous.
    I'll bet theres mapping errors
    Rain on high ground in wicklow that turns to snow upon getting out to sea...
    Snow on the coast in clare turning to rain as it heads inland...etc etc etc
    Complete tosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Those showers were just sleet when they passed us an hour ago so I dont think anyone at lower ground can expect much from them

Next Tuesday could be very special if the 12Z GFS had its way...

-7/-8 850 temps
    Very strong winds
    Heavy precip

gfs-0-132.png?12

gfs-1-126.png?12

gfs-2-144.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

are we still looking at above certain height & rain along the coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Defcol wrote: »
    Theres a band of something, :confused: most likely rain, headed your way..

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Cheers and it's fcukin brass monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Sunset at 4.20pm
    136415.jpg

sky has now turned orange. amazing colours
    75627_179696252046764_175249952491394_692272_5787608_n.jpg

delw wrote: »
    are we still looking at above certain height & rain along the coast?

I never said this, think Su did.

At times it may become marginal but i can't really see it too often. Would expect snow to fall to sea-level for most of the time from Saturday morning to Tuesday.

• Advertisement

I think people jump on the NAE snow charts too easy, they usually show the very light precip as rain for some reason, so they just have to be taken a guide.

The 42 and 48hrs illustrate the streamer setting up on the irish sea.

10112706_2512.gif

10112712_2512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Layman Alert....

Is there any chances that one of the long term weather gurus on here would take one of the GFS or other charts and give a quick explanation on what we, the uninformed, are actually looking at, and for.

I've lurked here for I dont know how many years and still dont know exactly what to look for in a chart that might promise snow. If its too much to ask at this moment in time then maybe some other time?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

TheFairy wrote: »
    Layman Alert....

Is there any chances that one of the long term weather gurus on here would take one of the GFS or other charts and give a quick explanation on what we, the uninformed, are actually looking at, and for.

I've lurked here for I dont know how many years and still dont know exactly what to look for in a chart that might promise snow. If its too much to ask at this moment in time then maybe some other time?

Have you read the first message in this thread? It includes links to sites which explain in great detail what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I never said this, think Su did.

At times it may become marginal but i can't really see it too often. Would expect snow to fall to sea-level for most of the time from Saturday morning to Tuesday.
    cheers WC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

its raining here in rathkenny outside navan :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

its raining here in rathkenny outside navan :mad:

Noting here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1125/breaking50.html

Two walkers rescued in Wicklow
    Rescue services today came to the aid of two hillwalkers who spent the night in the Wicklow Mountains.

According to the rescue teams, two men who had set out for a day hillwalking at 11am yesterday but underestimated the time required to complete their route. One of the men suffered a recurrence of a pre-existing medical condition, and the pair decided to spend the night on the hillside and make their way off the mountain this morning.

After spending the night on mountainous terrain largely exposed to the elements, one of the walkers managed to find mobile phone reception early this morning and requested assistance.

The Dublin and Wicklow and Glen of Imaal mountain rescue teams searched the Glenmacnass Waterfall, Tonelagee, Scarr and Kanturk areas. The walker who phoned for help was then found in a wooded area north of Kanturk Mountain by rescuers.

A Coast Guard helicopter from Wicklow airlifted his companion from an exposed hillside a short distance away.

Both men were uninjured, and the rescue effort was stood down shortly after midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Raining in Galway :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking on the raintoday runs , it looks like a lot of the east cost will see sleet this evening with the Dublin and Wicklow Mts area getting snow,

Even in the newbridge area where I am it more so looks like , well they class it as rain/snow I am going to call it sleet .

Am I allowed to post up images from raintoday.co.uk?

They give a brilliant precip analysis and time scale too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Coldest ever inside the house this year 14.4c till the heat came on. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement