Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Sleety rain in west Dublin, 3 deg. Little wind. Is this coming in from the east coast or is it a prelude to rain/sleet from nort west?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

oterra wrote: »
    Sleety rain in west Dublin, 3 deg. Little wind. Is this coming in from the east coast or is it a prelude to rain/sleet from nort west?

No no, this was never meant to be snow.

Frontal system moving from the North, colder air will penetrate south from tomorrow and more so through Saturday Morning.

baraca wrote: »
    Is this lake effect snow?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

yes

lake snow effect that give bucket loads of snow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I usually find the 850-1000hpa thickness to be the best indicator for snow.

You can get snow in the light blue under certain circumstance but you usually need to have the slighter darker blue, the signal of SUB 129 dam thickness levels.

So You can see in the charts the progression from tonight below.

10112600_2512.gif

Then we see the progressive drowning away of the Over 129 dam thicknesses

10112700_2512.gif

Until almost all pocket have been cleared on Saturday Midday barring a few pockets which are cooling near coastal areas of the East.

10112712_2512.gif

Combining these with Dew Point Forecasts, 850hpa forecasts, Precip Forecasts you can begin to consider the exact weather type for a location, rain, sleet or snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Grainy sleet falling in West Dublin..I would imagine it is snowing in the Dublin mountains however. I would say we will get quite a few centimetres of snow in Dublin/Wicklow/parts of Meath as of Saturday and through to Wednesday/Thursday although the South will escape altogether.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If I lived in Annamoe this winter I would be jumping up and down with excitement, however living in Dublin by the sea...at least i can hop on my rothar without worry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Theres a report in the other thread of snow falling and sticking at lacken,just above blessington in co wicklow.

carlmwan wrote: »
    lake snow effect that give bucket loads of snow:confused:
    potentially yes but not as extreme obviously.
    It's the same science behind the irish sea effect as in the lake states.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Starting to rain here in Enniscorthy.Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Supercell wrote: »
    If I lived in Annamoe this winter I would be jumping up and down with excitement, however living in Dublin by the sea...at least i can hop on my rothar without worry.

West Dublin..Lucan, Castleknock, Blanch always get a lot more snow than on the coast. Last year we have 14 days of up to 20 centimetres of lying snow and it also snowed and stuck in February, March and April. I work in Portmarnock on the seaboard and out there it rarely stays for long. A couple of days last winter although the frost can be very bad in the mornings..like this morning...very bad stretches of black ice.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Guess what the weather is in East Clare...... go on......

...raining !!! *grumps*

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Raining in Limerick too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Raining here in Artane. Air temp up to 3.2, wind chill up to 2.3 and DP is 2.6c.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

SNOW!!!!!!!!!

AND ITS STICKING :):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Turned back to sleety rain again here, it started off as proper sleet with some big snow flakes but then turned to rain. Clearly not going to get any real snow off this tonight though I'd imagine the hills out west will get a really good covering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowman10 wrote: »
    SNOW!!!!!!!!!

AND ITS STICKING :):):):):):):):):):):):)

I'm annoyed because (A) you have snow (B) you should report it in the 'reports' thread and (C) you dont say where you are. For now I will presume it's Churchill in Canada

3 miles west of hacketstown co carlow :):):):) :P a good 1cm so far heavy too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

3 miles west of hacketstown co carlow :):):):) :P a good 1cm so far heavy too :)

any pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

any pictures?
    the ultimate test of the '1cm' claim :)

• Advertisement

Ha hacketstown-it always snows there :p

how do i upload pic

:D

Ha hacketstown-it always snows there :p

it sure does!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sorry shud of put this in the reports section .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

how do i upload pic

Whats wit the people braggin along about snow ( NOT IN THE REPORTS SECTION )

AND then go on asking HOW TO UPLOAD A PIC?

TUT TUT TUT......:rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I am delighted to report that we have heavy rain here in Galway. Will post a few pics in a while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I am delighted to report that we have heavy rain here in Galway. Will post a few pics in a while. :)

Please do - cold, wet and miserable nights are such a rarity in this part of the world!! :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

not long back from Dublin ( to Dromahair) rain rain and more rain although at one stage outside Drumkeeran we were debating if there was a slight sleet!! I am talking microscopic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

AWH cant wait to seem them!, * get the popcorn on!*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement