Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Water Tester & Discus query

Options
  • 25-11-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

So, I've had a tropical freshwater tank for about 2 years, but will (in about a months time, only have 3 discus in my 180 tank. I was just wondering whats the optimum set up for these beauties. Currently the water is just over 30 degrees, and i do a 10 % water change every second day. I was hoping i could test the water with an electronic gauge (do these exist) for ph, nitrates, hardness etc etc. Not keen on having a mini lab in the livingroom, but if needs be....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Discus need a lot of water change so I would up the 10% wc to at least 20%

Temp a little lower 28 to 29

Optimum setup would be bare bottom tank if you don't mind it.

3 discus could be a problem because of bullying between them so maybe get a formed pair and get a school of small fish or buy 5 to 6 discus but your tank maybe too small.

If it's your first time with discus don't buy them too small they can be fragile and always pick the ones that come the front of the tank when your viewing them.

There's an electronic gauge for ph and hardness or total dissolved substances I think but not for nitrate and nitrites.

There's a wealth of info in simplydiscus but you don't have to follow them to the letter.

gl

Advertisement