Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

re. Tkd closing down

• 25-11-2010 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Now that the tae-kwon dow center is sadly gone, does anybody know anywhere in the city center where you can attend a few classes? cheers p.s 1000 thank you's for the guys in TKD ,Come back Soon

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

The one on Exchequer Street? Gone? Man that's been there so long. That was one of the first gyms I was ever in where I went "Wow" at the fact that they had their own space.

How come it went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Has it gone for certain? That's a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kfs

HX taekwon-Do in harolds Cross is pretty close (relatively speaking), tkdgym.com
    There's a few exchequer heads heading that way next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago, we're on the northside if anyones interested in classes. Www.redstar-tkd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonson21

Cheers for that ,harolds cross might be handy its not too far i suppose, redstar looks great too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

The one on Exchequer Street? Gone? Man that's been there so long. That was one of the first gyms I was ever in where I went "Wow" at the fact that they had their own space.

How come it went?
    Yeah, it was probably the best Martial Arts gym in Ireland in it's day when it opened in the early 1980's. Sad to hear it's going as it must have been there 30 years. Brendan O'Toole and Gerry Martin were first class trainers and certainly knew how to handle themselves in the real world also. 1,000's of people must have been through it's doors down the years. Ok some only stayed for a short while but for many it was the beginning of a lifetime in Martial Arts. Sad day for TKD in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Here's where I train anyway Tkd-Itf

Its a little outa the way of the city. Glanmire to be exact, but the club is renowned in Ireland. I would highly recommend coming to see what its like. We have had a few new members in the last few weeks alright cause of a club closing down!
    Also the club is linked to many clubs in the cork area so if your a member with us, you're more then welcome to train with those other clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

shame its closed up, falling membership & high city centre rent (and car-parking costs), subs were 75 per month. Brendan & Gerry were class, old school and two of the best martial artists you'll find on this island.

Steba wrote: »
    Here's where I train anyway Tkd-Itf

Its a little outa the way of the city. Glanmire to be exact, but the club is renowned in Ireland. I would highly recommend coming to see what its like. We have had a few new members in the last few weeks alright cause of a club closing down!
    Also the club is linked to many clubs in the cork area so if your a member with us, you're more then welcome to train with those other clubs!

No one's gonna drive to Cork dude just because a club in Dublin closes down :confused:

Steba wrote: »
    Its a little outa the way of the city. Glanmire to be exact

If your kicks were as big as your understatements, you'd be some fighter!

• Advertisement

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steba

Did not read that properly :P There's a club in cork that closed down too, Just automatically assumed for some reason, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

TKD SC wrote: »
    The Tae Kwon Do centre celebrated its 25th birthday in December 2006 with a presentation of an honourary 3rd Degree Black Belt to An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern T.D. who attended.

Bertie's honourary black belt was surely the beginning of the end.....

TKD SC wrote: »

ASFAIK the centre was first established by Aidan Walsh and his brother. Just a bit of useless info in the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kfs

yomchi wrote: »
    ASFAIK the centre was first established by Aidan Walsh and his brother. Just a bit of useless info in the greater scheme of things.

Nope, Brendan and Gerry bought the lease from Wally Dillon, its been their baby from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone might be able to tell me where I could find a WTF club in South Dublin - Rathmines area. I've been searching til I'm blue in the face but all I can come up with is South Dublin TKD (Tallaght) which is a bit far out for me (because I'll be cycling).

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
    NM

Did you try www.itu.ie ?

Hi yomchi, Yeah I've looked on there. I just keep coming up with ITF clubs though. I'll have another look though!

Hi yomchi, Yeah I've looked on there. I just keep coming up with ITF clubs though. I'll have another look though!

That's all WTF on that site mate, the ITU are the governing body for WTF Taekwondo in Ireland. Having said that they are very scarce on the ground in comparison to ITF clubs.

• Advertisement

Ah Ok, my bad :D. I'm new enough to TKD, having only took it up in Sept. Got my yellow in WTF last week and in the New Year I have to move for work so I was hoping to find a WTF club to continue on my training. I suppose I'll join an ITF club if I can't find a WTF club close enough to where I'll be living.

Total rookie question here but why is ITF so much more common?? :confused:

Ah Ok, my bad :D. I'm new enough to TKD, having only took it up in Sept. Got my yellow in WTF last week and in the New Year I have to move for work so I was hoping to find a WTF club to continue on my training. I suppose I'll join an ITF club if I can't find a WTF club close enough to where I'll be living.

Total rookie question here but why is ITF so much more common?? :confused:

ITF was established here in 1968 and in fairness to the early pioneers they worked their arses off establishing themselves, it wasn't until the early 80's that WTF started here in Ireland after a small split in the original ITF association. So in a nut-shell it was just down to timing and the spread of ITF from the outset. WTF dwarfs the ITF in most other countries.

ITF was established here in 1968 and in fairness to the early pioneers they worked their arses off establishing themselves, it wasn't until the early 80's that WTF started here in Ireland after a small split in the original ITF association. So in a nut-shell it was just down to timing and the spread of ITF from the outset. WTF dwarfs the ITF in most other countries.
    AFAIK, ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ?

HellsAngel wrote: »
    AFAIK, ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ?
    It was until the wall fell 20 years ago. The draw of the olympics has made WTF a much more popular style world wide.

It was until the wall fell 20 years ago. The draw of the olympics has made WTF a much more popular style world wide.
    Not trying to be a bitch, but have you any stats/links to back that up ?

Back what up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

eh that WTF is a much bigger draw than the IFC within the last ~ 10 years

Not trying to be a bitch, but have you any stats/links to back that up ?

You don't need to be in TKD do know the Kukkiwon is a multi million dollar organisation or that the WTF has government sports council recognition in nearly every country on the face of the earth. You can count up the members here and compare them to the three ITF member groups if you have the interest.
    http://www.wtf.org/wtf_eng/site/about_wtf/member_main.html

As for the olympics being more of an attraction? What would you say the ITF has in comparison? The Chon Ji cup?

;)

Back what up?
    eh that WTF is a much bigger draw than the IFC within the last ~ 10 years
    Exactly Sid, Einstein isn't capable of understanding a simple plain question God love him.

• Advertisement

You don't need to be in TKD do know the Kukkiwon is a multi million dollar organisation or that the WTF has government sports council recognition in nearly every country on the face of the earth. You can count up the members here and compare them to the three ITF member groups if you have the interest.
    http://www.wtf.org/wtf_eng/site/about_wtf/member_main.html
    Don't know why your been such a bitch, I was civil enough to you in post 26, I suppose I must have hurt that little WTF ego. ITF TKD is also a multi million dollar organisation Bozo and has government sports council recognition in nearly every country on the face of the earth :rolleyes:

You made an assertion - " WTF dwarfs the ITF in most other countries. " and I asked a reasonable question " ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ? " - and you fail to back it up. Throwing a link and saying find it yourself isn't backing up a point with factual information bitch.
    As for the olympics being more of an attraction? What would you say the ITF has in comparison? The Chon Ji cup?
    So where did I question the attraction of the Olympics ? And besides, I'd doubt if the vast, vast majority of people who take up WTF do so with the thought that they may someday qualify for the Olympics - unlike yourself ofcourse ;)

Don't know why your been such a bitch, I was civil enough to you in post 26, I suppose I must have hurt that little WTF ego. ITF TKD is also a multi million dollar organisation Bozo and has government sports council recognition in nearly every country on the face of the earth :rolleyes:

You made an assertion - " WTF dwarfs the ITF in most other countries. " and I asked a reasonable question " ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ? " - and you fail to back it up. Throwing a link and saying find it yourself isn't backing up a point with factual information bitch.

So where did I question the attraction of the Olympics ? And besides, I'd doubt if the vast, vast majority of people who take up WTF do so with the thought that they may someday qualify for the Olympics - unlike yourself ofcourse ;)

I'm an ITF 4th degree. I love being called a bitch :D
    The ITF is not a multi million dollar organisation is it? Which one? O and the ITF has not got member organisations in nearly every country on the face of the earth. In fact it only has four clubs on the entire continent of Africa and two in Cuba (I trained in one of them) it has a handful of clubs in South Korea where every college and school and barracks is affiliated with the WTF.
    I do apologise as I seem to have struck quite a nerve with you, but I'm not going to go researching 'facts' for you as part of a conversation. The point is well known that the WTF is a whole lot bigger than the ITF. I gave you a wee link so you can see for yourself.
    I could also give you warnings and all that for personal abuse but you're fun, so I won't bother ;)

Taekwon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

good to see Yomchi using the tenant of self-control :) in the face of such uncalled for abuse.

I'm an ITF 4th degree. I love being called a bitch :D
    The ITF is not a multi million dollar organisation is it? Which one? O and the ITF has not got member organisations in nearly every country on the face of the earth. In fact it only has four clubs on the entire continent of Africa and two in Cuba (I trained in one of them) it has a handful of clubs in South Korea where every college and school and barracks is affiliated with the WTF.
    I do apologise as I seem to have struck quite a nerve with you, but I'm not going to go researching 'facts' for you as part of a conversation. The point is well known that the WTF is a whole lot bigger than the ITF. I gave you a wee link so you can see for yourself.
    Your making assertions with nothing to back them up. And when asked an honest polite question "ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ? " - you get the hump !!! :)
    I could also give you warnings and all that for personal abuse but you're fun, so I won't bother ;)

Taekwon!
    I thought mods are supposed to be impartial and not use the threat of infractions/bans to shout someone down in a discussion. Your the one who got bitchy first, not me ;):) Ban/infract away, see if I give a toss. Now off I go to Sherdog.com :)

Your making assertions with nothing to back them up. And when asked an honest polite question "ITF is predominant in eastern Europe/former Soviet block ? " - you get the hump !!! :)

I thought mods are supposed to be impartial and not use the threat of infractions/bans to shout someone down in a discussion. Your the one who got bitchy first, not me ;):) Ban/infract away, see if I give a toss. Now off I go to Sherdog.com :)

Happy New Year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

trolls much ??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Just thought I'd let anyone who is interested know that Master O'Toole from Exchequer St will be taking 2 classes per week in www.tkdgym.com on Mon and Wed evenings...

Advertisement