Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op Frustration

Options
  • 25-11-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Ok so I'm supposed to go a co-op in January but I still havent found one! Does anyone know anywhere in the locality that takes on co-op students, preferably paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What's your course? Depending on what you're studying, there's a definite chance you'll be doing it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

don't panic i have herd of people who didn't get co-op till mid February when they were supposed to be going on co-op in January as Carián said it will depend on your course humanities seem to get the raw deal for co-op and science and engineering the best business are in between them depending on your magior you can ether get a good co-op or a bad one

best of luck tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

If you don't get one, you can always apply to do some extra modules for the Jan/Jun semester- the CoOp Office usually makes that the last option though.

I'm doing New Media and English, so there wasn't a lot open for me in the present scheme of things. I set up my own CoOp and went through several interviews, getting nowhere. Finally I asked my old secondary school if they'd take me on and they said yes. It's not ideal, and it probably won't be paid, but it's somewhere to go for a few months and it's close to home- it's a cost effective placement in other words.

The CoOp office can be difficult to get in touch with through e-mail, so I suggest walking in and talking with someone instead, they're pretty good in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

I'm doing New Media and English too, I really dont want to spend a semester sitting around. I was hoping to get a paid co-op as some as my friends did but its starting to look very unlikely. I've applied everywhere but haven't had any positive feedback. Nobody seems to be interested in taking students on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

They were the lucky ones then! I'm guessing then that you didn't apply for Co-op abroad somewhere. Would've had a good chance at paid work.

Even if it's not paid, I'd recommend getting some kind of work experience, rather than doing 2 or 3 modules to pass the time. It will look a lot better on your CV when you're looking for work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement