Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Rents

Options
  • 25-11-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently renting a studio apartment for a considerable rent €600 near Drumcondra.

I just can not understand the current costs of renting in Dublin - especially when compared with cities in countries like Germany which have much beter quality rental properties along with more realistic prices.

What are peoples views on this - do you expect rents to fall further and by how much?

Also my contract is up soon. Does anyone have any tips for negotiating a reduced rent with your landlord?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes I expect rents to fall, though not as much or as fast as they have been for the last two years. Difficult to say how much exactly until the budget comes out.

To negotiate rent decrease: Have a look on daft.ie to see what other studios in your area go for; present the landlord with a list of extra expenses you have after the budget; offer him something in return (such as signing a two year lease).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Hi,

I am currently renting a studio apartment for a considerable rent €600 near Drumcondra.

I just can not understand the current costs of renting in Dublin - especially when compared with cities in countries like Germany which have much beter quality rental properties along with more realistic prices.

What are peoples views on this - do you expect rents to fall further and by how much?

Also my contract is up soon. Does anyone have any tips for negotiating a reduced rent with your landlord?

Thanks

I share your utter bewilderment and can't really offer any explanation other than to say that perhaps changes to rent allowance in the coming months might mean €600 will get you a 1-bed at some point next year. Certainly that amount of money absolutely should get you that in Drumcondra IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crabfeet

There are studios being let in rathmines for €450 one beds at €600 to €650. You are paying over the top. Move!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

crabfeet wrote: »
    There are studios being let in rathmines for €450 one beds at €600 to €650. You are paying over the top. Move!

Wow really? Do you have any links?

Studios do seem to be way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

You would be crazy to sign a 2 year lease in this city right now unless your job is absolutely bullet proof - terrible advice to give anyone.

@ Roomisonfire - depends on where you want to live or if you have your own car or not. city centre living or D4,6 are generally more expensive and i agree with you rents in Dublin are ridiculous compared to other european cities. i think rents will fall again next year, but remember most people cannot get a mortgage these days because the banks are broke, a lot of people are afraid of buying a place because of jobs insecurity and falling prices.

all of this means more people are renting, instead of buying. but always ask the LL, even on the phone before you view the property, 'can you accept a lower price as this is what i can afford to pay'.

DO NOT under any circumstances sign a 2 year lease.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

Wow really? Do you have any links?

Studios do seem to be way overpriced.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=975290

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There was an article in the newspaper the other day about Dublin rents haven risen over the last 2 months.. which is pure and utter bullsh*t.. More EA bull to try and keep rents high and get some more commission for them..

How can they claim that rents are high when there are literally thousands or properties empty and landlords clambering for tenants :confused:

Source

As for the cost of Dublin rents.. well its down to the whole fact that in Europe, there are lots of long term renters and the is very little profiteering in the way of sky high rents.. Lots of people rent completely unfurnished apartments and plan on living in them for long periods of time.. In Germany, its not unheard of to take the kitchen with you if you move apartment, as chances are you're installed it yourself with your own appliances..

Unlike Ireland, where the Irish obsession with owning your own property has caused renting to become a temporary situation.. so landlords try and make as much money as possible by charging as much as they can. Some of them would rather see a place sitting empty rather than lower the rent and get in a long term tenant..

A lot of landlords are living on another planet and still reckon they can get high rents for a property that is a complete dump and has not has any renovations or upgrades for years..

OP, if you think you're paying too much rent, approach the landlord or rental company who is looking after the property, request a rent reduction, if they refuse, move out and get another place..

There are lots of one bed apartments going for very little more than you're paying.. why spend that on a studio as others have said?

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Here are 4 1-beds in Ranelagh (yes, leafy Ranelagh!!), two asking €650, two asking €700. None look too bad at all....

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=984822
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=962474
    http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/brochure/belgrave-square-ranelagh-dublin-6-south-dublin-city/408901
    http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/brochure/59-beechwood-ave-ranelagh-dublin-6/202832

Now, if one of Dublin's more attractive areas like Ranelagh is at these levels for 1-beds (and these are asking prices), €600 for your Drumcondra studio doesn't seem right.

Advertisement