Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great After-hours Irish person of the year awards {Nominations}

• 25-11-2010 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

Like time magazine, I think afterhours should acknowledge the person, place, idea or thing that has for better or worse caused the most significant changes to Irish life over the past year or likely to cause the greatest change in future. Nominate your person, then after a few days we'll whittle them down and add a poll, which will close on new years eve. Like Time, the award is not an honour.

My people are:

Minister Lenihan
    The Bondholders and the Bankers
    Ajai Chopra, the EU and IMF
    Spirit of Ireland
    Boards.ie (For new media in general)

I open the floor to suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where would you people be without the power of the cushion???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Good point, I think boards.ie and the rise new media is also worth a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Oh i thought this was to nominate an After Hours person of the year when i saw the title 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thread title is confusing when you see what the OP is actually wishing us to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Or the inanimate carbon rod????

• Advertisement

If I had to nonimate a person who in the last years has made significant changes to Irish life over the past year, I would have to put Lenihan at the top of the list.
    Then Harney for continuing at screwing up in her own position.
    Her health section requests and dictates has effected hundreds of thousands to some degree, big or small.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I think our Alison O'Riordan has to get a mention for sheer ridiculous hilariousity, and for bringing the plight of homeowners in this country to the fore time and again? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Biggins cos he/she/it defies the logic that one must sleep to function. I wish to defy that logic sometime in my life.

Failing that, Kim Jung il...for possibly killing me in the next few months before I leave Korea for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Olli Rehn. Man gives us 85bn euro and makes FF look like a bunch of tits. Ledge.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sore arses on hard stools man....

• Advertisement

Olli Rehn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Me, because I'm amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

benjamin d wrote: »
    I think our Alison O'Riordan has to get a mention for sheer ridiculous hilariousity, and for bringing the plight of homeowners in this country to the fore time and again? :pac:

I second that, not forgetting the article about her begging with vagabons in almost Mother Thresa like simularilities before jetting off to New Hampshire on a sking holday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Our great leader, Brian Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Miriam O'Callaghan's left bap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Ajai Chopra isn't Irish

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Ajai Chopra isn't Irish

Doesn't have to be.
    The OP says "...acknowledge the person, place, idea or thing that has for better or worse caused the most significant changes to Irish life..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So we have Olli Rehn, Brian Cowen and Alison O'Riordan (on behalf of those in negative equity) as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My personal vote goes to my cousin Jack - great man, let me sleep on his couch for a week in March when the missus threw me out on my ear.

My national vote goes to: Fianna Fail who we owe everything to. Or who we owe everything because of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'm nominating someone who will inspire us to pick ourselves up and move forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You would be nothing without me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Overheal wrote: »
    You would be nothing without me.

Elvis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Georgia Salpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

David Kelly WIT.

For some reason his youtube profile is suddenly down. Anyway, anyone else a fan?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=615215853
    http://www.davidkelly2601.com
    http://www.last.fm/user/DAVIDK001
    http://davidk31.deviantart.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Dk2601

Likes and interests
    Activities

Supernovas, Slovakia, Dancing on the Corpses Ashes, The Cold War, Oxymorons, Twitching, Salivating

Music
    Battle of Mice, *KYUSS*, Atoms For Peace, Yann Tiersen (official), * IAM *, Superjerk, Caspian, Mike Patton, Shikaka Drummers, Kytte--, O Emperor, Future Of The Left, Animal Collective, And So I Watch You From Afar, Gojiraand 101 more

Books
    World War Z, American Gods, No Country for Old Men, The Road, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, At the Mountains of Madness, Physics of the Impossible

Movies

Artbeat Films & Gigs, man bites dog, H.R. Giger Revealed, Secret Cinema, Kick Ass, Death to Smoochy, Survival of the Dead, Buffalo '66, PREDATORS, Dancer in the Dark, The Cove, The Secret of Kells, The Hurt Locker, Shutter Island, Expendablesand 85 more

Television
    WE OWN THE STREETS, MARIANA (RTE STORYLAND), Hardy Bucks, Soul Train, Discovery Science, Gillette Soccer Saturday, V, *Fraggle Rock*, Stephen Hawking's Universe, The IT Crowd, Snuff Box, The Boondocks, Adult Swim, Star Trekand 11 more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

I recommend that all such awards be abandoned until such time as we regain some national self respect.

Advertisement