Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Steward Island (NZ)?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I'm travelling around NZ's South Island at the moment before settling down to work & will be down in the far south in a few days. Just wondering if Stewart Island is worth the trip for a couple of days? I don't know anyone who's actually been - can anyone here give advice on it?

Thanks

Eh...meant to say Stewart Island in the title there but it won't let me edit it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Are you interested in hunting? Because it's meant to be unreal for that. Never been myself but hoping to before I leave

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was out there a couple of years ago and I reckon is worth a visit.

It was only a day trip that I did though and that was pretty much enough to see the whole of civilisation on the island. Was a very bumpy catamaran boat ride across, there was a couple of German backpackers I was chatting to on the trip but only one of them took the boat ride back, she was far too sick for the return journey so paid extra to take a flight back. :D
    It's not normally that bumpy apparently, but the kids that take the boat week to get to school sometimes don't make it back home again that week if the weather is too bad. They certainly don't have a problem with the bumpy ride, but there was a lot of green looking people on the boat I took. I loved it though, but don't let a potentially bumpy ride put you off.

There are options of doing a night on the island, but for me I'd not have been bothered about that really. What would have interested me if I had the time was a week plus on the island. Was chatting to a couple of lads who had done that, one had been out there for a couple of weeks I think. He had got a fisherman to take him from the main land and deposited him somewhere out of the way around the island. He then treked and camped in huts for X days wandering through the wilderness. He didn't see another person until the last two days when he met the other guy who had also not seen anyone for a week. they did come across Kiwi's in the wild though rather than in a cage in a tourist attraction and there are loads of trails across the island that you can take if your into that kind of thing and have the time.

I just took a guided minibus tour around the area with one of the locals and that was interesting enough in the time I had available.

Advertisement