Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Blog/Podcast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

just registered myself there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yep changed it so you can post too. im going to take a look at it tommorow and see how you post thumbnails with the posts etc.
    just registered myself there

Here use this as a test banner if you want, I dont think this will be the final one because its just a really quick thing but sure use it sure if you want

bannertest1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

haha ive made that the toplogo, pdbhp ive change it so you can post there too. i added a couple of test things just to test out the categories and posting thumbnails\images.

The images i have for the thumbnails are too small and look stretched, but basically when posting,

Click the category featured for the top slideshow, review for the icons in the middle or news for the bit on the bottom.

You select "set featured image" to add an image to the top slideshow thing or as a thumbnail if you select the review category.

the dimensions for both are

for the top slideshow - 950w x 300h
    for the thumbnails - 215w x 120h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just registered there as well!

Cool you can post now too. :)

Cheers for that, I was hoping to use the android wordpress app to access my profile and post, but when I try add my username it tells me I can't, that the blog admin must change something in the options to allow it. Sorry for the vagueness of that, trying to recall exactly what it said but I can't

No worries at all if it's not possible though :)

try it again there and let me know what it says and ill sort it out, though i dont think you will be able to upload thumbnails for the posts that way? not sure.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, it says that 'XML-RPC' services are disabled for the site.

Wouldn't be able to post thumbnails with it afaik, but would be handy for beginning rough drafts while sitting on the bus and things like that, but I certainly wouldn't consider it an essential thing to have :)

Cool, try it again should be working now.

I threw together a couple of logos today, but i cant seem to upload them at the minute. I will later, one of em is on the main retropod.net page at the minute if you want to take a look.

I need to move that search box later but cant get at it in work. its basically pacman there with a headphones on, presumably listening to the retropod ;)

Ill post the others later but they are basically just different colours of the same theme. let me know what you think. needs a bit of resizing too to fit the width of the page

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »
    I threw together a couple of logos today, but i cant seem to upload them at the minute. I will later, one of em is on the main retropod.net page at the minute if you want to take a look.

I need to move that search box later but cant get at it in work. its basically pacman there with a headphones on, presumably listening to the retropod ;)

Ill post the others later but they are basically just different colours of the same theme. let me know what you think. needs a bit of resizing too to fit the width of the page

That looks pretty cool dude, I like the blue colour used on top.
    Can I be a picky git and say that the spacing between the E and T letters in the top logo is larger than the spacing between the other letters? Same goes for the pacman and the D. Minor thing so feel free to say gtfo! :D

Like the layout of the Reviews page too with the thumbnail and paragraph.

thats cool, ill fix the spacing im like that myself about that stuff. Any of the things there on page can be changed eg where i have latest reviews that can be podcasts, the news could be thumbnails like the review ones, alternativaly you can have thumbnails going down with a description to sides and you can add in other sections, eg currently there is new reviews (thumbnails), News (just text) i can add another underneath news called podcasts and make it thumbnails\text\thumbs and preview text. that search thing is annoying me ill have to fix that later..

Looking good, I must start writing up an article

I'm going to take a look at the splatterhouse series, seems topical with the new one just out

We keeping the same black theme there or changing the backround image or whats the craic?

• Advertisement

whatever you guys want, its capable of using a background image but its very hard to get them to fit right with all the different screen sizes out there. I can change pretty much any of the colours with a bit of messing around. any suggestions just let me know.

Well i like the dark colours,

I'd tent to stick with the dark BG but just a nice bit of colour, mabye a smaller brighter logo

mabye not the best site to be using as an example but i think a style like this would be nice

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/

I agree, the logo is too big i think, i will see if i can come up with something better or if any of guys can too.

I got rid of that search from the top moved it down the bottom. Moved the menu up to the top. Changed the background image to a kind of fading colour to black thing.

I think it will look a lot better two when we have more "real" content on there.

Well I'll do up a few more logos and see what looks the best

new backround looks good aswell

ive put a different logo up there now. might get rid of the headphones off pacman, what you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like the new logo, the controllers on the right are a nice touch. Probably would get rid of the headphones myself, but it's not really a big deal either way, and it kind of makes sense considering the name of the site.

Should have something to post up later today or tomorrow. Might not be great, but it can be taken down once there's a bit more content or if the site goes in a specific direction.

Should I just self-publish or leave a draft for you to give the once over?

Publish it yourself, i think i have to change the permissions again to authors or something ill check it out now. when posting you need to put in a thumbnail for the post. find an image and resize it to

for Reviews category - 215w x 120h in pixels , select the category "reviews" on the right when posting.

If its a article or a blog type thing then you will want it to be a "featured" categorie and with this it will have a large image like the one on the top. dimensions for that are

featured category - 950w x 350h in pixels.

News item thumbnails are 115w x 115h and you can see these thumnails when you click "news" on the menu on the main page. on the front page news is just one headline and you click to read.

when posting your item you select the "feature image" link on the bottom right then upload your image and select the option "use as featured image"

Think thats it, any problems let me know.

Edit - changed the permisions of everyone to author so you can post stuff. and added in the different thumbnail sizes needed for each category.

I made a lot of changes to that www.retropod.net page today take a look. cant really get a feel for it until there is some real stuff posted up there so if you have anything to put up stick it up and we can change it around when we see what it looks like.

Looking really nice now, I think thats a keeper.

But sure see how it looks when theres some stuff on it
    I'm in the middle of somthing right now so somtie next week i should have an article

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ordering an omnidirectional mic tomorrow thats supposedly good for recording meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Managed to forget to do a pile of paperwork, so I haven't finished writing up that piece yet, should definitely be able to get a few things done over christmas though, and I'll try get that one piece done in the next few days.

Cool, just need to get some content up there now to get the ball rolling and then promote it a bit. im going to try get one or two more people who can contribute reviews\posts etc too just to have some content. Nicework on buying the Mics!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll try and get time to sign up tonight and put my crappy blog posts up if you want.

yeh that would be great, just to have some real content up there rather than the test ones i have up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just registered there (a bit late).

Not sure how great my contributions will be but I'm always looking for an excuse to blog more and I figured the Christmas break is as good a time as any. I have a project or two in mind that I could probably throw a few hundred words together on.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, changed it there so you can post

Advertisement