Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tolls .....

• 25-11-2010 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

We are keen motorhomers and live in Wales (hope this is ok?!!) ;)

Shortly planning a month in Republic of Ireland, followed by another month in the springtime.

In Wales, you pay the same for a motorhome as you do for a car. I have checked the eflow site without any luck...please can anyone tell me if a motorhome is classed as a larger vehicle? (ours is a 5.65 m Hymer so not large!). Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Officially Motorhomes they are treated as cars but some of the automated barriers (and toll collector technicians) mistakenly consider them commercial vehicles.
    There's a discussion at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055868361&highlight=toll&page=2 and a link to print off at the bottom.

The automated barriers have an assistance button and usually they'll adjust the price if the automated systems gets it wrong.
    Most tolls are around €1.90 with the exception of the N4 at €2.90ish

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

Many thanks for that useful information!! Now, to get the printer working......:rolleyes: Ana x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'm liking it here, many thanks!! :)
    We are visiting Co Wexford, Co Waterford, Co Clare and Co Kerry and can't wait. In the Spring, we will travel around Northern Ireland.

Gypsyrose wrote: »
    We are visiting Co Wexford, Co Waterford, Co Clare and Co Kerry and can't wait. In the Spring, we will travel around Northern Ireland.

Surfing?

Be carefull in Kerry they have banned overnight parking on most of the beaches and will hand out a stiff fine if they catch you.

• Advertisement

Ouch..really?? Even in winter?? :eek:
    ps by surfing, not sure if you are asking if we surfing or surfing the net...lol!! Defintiely not the former!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

If your comming in via Rosslare....the only toll road that you will hit (assuming that you stick to that route) is on the Waterford bypass heading for Cork. If you are heading from Wexford to Waterford and then on to Clare (via Limerick) you will be on the Waterford bypass but you will come off it before the toll bridge ;)

We'll be on the look out, thanks...find it hard to tell from various sites where exactly the tolls are. Our sat nav should help too!!

Here's the option for the frequent toll user https://csc.eflow.ie/newaccount/newaccount.aspx. Just register the tag as being for a car (you can swap it between car and camper as prefered) saves on queues and being overcharged by cashiers.
    Car tags also work for commercials I've had one in someone else's LGV for a year and there's never been an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

A list of all tolls can be found at http://www.nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/KnowTheToll/#d.en.15520

Our motorways are simple enough to figure out. The M50 is our Dublin ring road in the east of the country. Similar to London's M25.
    All motorways stem from the M50 with the motorways named in an anti clockwise direction, M1 going north, M2,M3 going North West, M4 going west, M11 going south etc. Occasionally they switch to N roads (National primary roads).
    Another piece of useless information for your collection ;)

• Advertisement

Many thanks, now I am armed with more info!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

We'll be on the look out, thanks...find it hard to tell from various sites where exactly the tolls are. Our sat nav should help too!!

Sadly - satnav mapping is not perfect in Ireland. You'll need Garmin map version 2011.10 at least to see the Waterford bypass and new bridge. Probably the latest (2011.30) has the Shannon tunnel and maybe some of the newer ones near Dublin. Also you need to be aware that Irish/English spellings for places can be quite variable - so if you are getting no results when you key in a place name - try partial spellings and then choose from the list of results. Also (assuming a Garmin) - using the " Cities" button rather than the "Address" method will find you the smallest of places and villages even townslands.

Our sat nav is called "Tomasina" lol (it's a Tom Tom!)......why it's a "she", we don't know!! :D
    Get the point though about them having to be up to date on the tolls.....what does a TOLL warning sign look like?!! I mean, they do warn you, right?!! :eek:

Our sat nav is called "Tomasina" lol (it's a Tom Tom!)......why it's a "she", we don't know!! :D
    Get the point though about them having to be up to date on the tolls.....what does a TOLL warning sign look like?!! I mean, they do warn you, right?!! :eek:

Don't worry about tolls most are less than two euros the highest I know of is 2.90 but they make your life a lot simpler.

The only one you could have a problem with is the M50 around Dublin where you have to phone them - there's lots of signs

Not going to Dublin this time (hope to in the spring!) and if tolls are not megabucks then it's not too bad!! Again, thanks! :)

Advertisement