Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics - Who's who?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I moved to Waterford about 3 years ago because of work. I've just sent off the forms to have my voting address moved to Waterford and I realised that I knew sweet shag-all about politics down here. I vaguely remember during the last election the posters around the city and county, but to be fair, I usually only laugh at the serious sexyface expressions on those.

These are the current TD's for Waterford

Current city councillors

I've spoken to a mod who has agreed that I can put forward a request for opinions on the political parties active in Waterford at the moment, and who may be putting themselves up for election/re-election in the New Year.

Would appreciate your genuine opinions on the various choices in the city and county, in keeping with boards rules and guidelines ofc =)

All the best,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thanks for the wiki link, FF got 46% of 1st preference votes in last 2 elections in Waterford. That's a lot of votes up for grabs for the other parties next year. The choice looks limited though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's unfortunately not a topic I'd have any in dept Knowledge of but I have personally dealt with Brian O'Shea in the past and I thought he came across as a very genuine person.

I also met David Cullinane a number of times as he has family from where I grew up. Seemed grand but SF wouldn't really be a party for me.

It's about as good as I can be I'm afraid OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=226

The full breakdown from the last election.

You can be sure that the local media will be profiling all the candidates nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The green party in Waterford has made it its business to stifle and hinder any progress in Waterford by objecting to everything from churches, shopping centres and creches to infrasturcture developments such as the motorway and unbelievably objecting to the train station being made more travel friendly. Im sure they will give you the usual bull quoting words like 'sustainabilty' and 'unsuitable' which are an unsuccesful attempt to give themselves an air of intelligence. Their national representation doesnt need any explanation.

Lab.. are a joke objecting to all moves while sitting on the fence.
    FF...yeah right,
    SF...dont make me laugh,
    FG.. have made some good talk here in Waterford with regards to University which is badly needed for the region. Some of their reps are decent in fairness and have raised their voices on occasion.
    Independents..do nothing and achieve f-all, unless you are Jackie Healy, i doubt independents will be needed in next election, not a certainty though

On a local level, councillors do f-all, do a lot of talking about achieving stuff but they usually just spend their time, doing reports, putting up parking fees and going on junkets at our expense. See one of our lady ex-mayors and a handy trip to NY where she was supposedly trying to secure jobs in Waterford Crystal. A complete joke, she achieved nothing and took her husband along for the holiday, sorry, ''jobs mission'' so they both could take in the delights of Broadway.
    In all, they achieve nothing, any activity you see around the city centre has been down to the City Council and its relatively new city manager who has done a lot to better the place such as bringing Waterford Crystal to The Mall. The mayors main task is to appear in the local papers as many times as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

happy and all as I'd be to see all FF and greens politicians treated as pariahs forever, did our former green friend object to a church? just asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

old gregg wrote: »
    happy and all as I'd be to see all FF and greens politicians treated as pariahs forever, did our former green friend object to a church? just asking.

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Yes

Which, and was it one that made a name for himself out of objecting to everything for a number of years. Cant think of his name right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Brendan McCann AKA McCant did infact object to an extension of Ballygunner church ................ that man set Waterford city centre back 20 years or more .... we could have a lovely new shopping centre in the city centre and a modernised train station & a pizza shop in Railway Square if it wasn't for him.

If he hadn't stopped retailing developing in the city centre, that big white elephant in Ferrybank wouldn't have been built .............. muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Max Powers wrote: »
    FG.. have made some good talk here in Waterford with regards to University which is badly needed for the region. Some of their reps are decent in fairness and have raised their voices on occasion.

By `good talk`do you mean the row between Cllr Tom Raine and Enda over Enda`s failure to confirm an earlier promise to upgrade WIT to uni status if FG got into power??

I think you let your mask slip pal;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fine Gael have been a bit of a PR machine in recent times with press Releases going into the papers over every little development to ensure constant exposure and coverage. Can be argued that they're doing no wrong however, as the media is there, as their PR people would say, to be exploited and manipulated.

• Advertisement

comeraghs wrote: »
    Brendan McCann AKA McCant did infact object to an extension of Ballygunner church ................ that man set Waterford city centre back 20 years or more .... we could have a lovely new shopping centre in the city centre and a modernised train station & a pizza shop in Railway Square if it wasn't for him.

If he hadn't stopped retailing developing in the city centre, that big white elephant in Ferrybank wouldn't have been built .............. muppet!

Why would anyone want to object to an extension to the church. What grounds do he have. A lot of older people will tell you that you will have no luck in taking anything from the church or objecting to it. Alot (not all) of these old saying are often proven to be true, and they will tell you that those that do harm, take or object to such things as the church will never have luck in the long term.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Fine Gael have been a bit of a PR machine in recent times with press Releases going into the papers over every little development to ensure constant exposure and coverage. Can be argued that they're doing no wrong however, as the media is there, as their PR people would say, to be exploited and manipulated.

FG may be doing a lot of talk in Waterford, getting into the papers and on the Radio as often as possible, but how united as a party are they in Waterford (City, County & Town Councils), let alone in the island of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Thanks a lot for your responses - it's much appreciated. I'm usually a hardcore Labour voter but I'm starting to question it these days. I find it difficult to balance between party vs. individual when voting - I guess being in a fresh area will help me make a decision that's more balanced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    FG may be doing a lot of talk in Waterford, getting into the papers and on the Radio as often as possible, but how united as a party are they in Waterford (City, County & Town Councils), let alone in the island of Ireland

Not great, but its not a big issue. Your only looking at a general election, so two FG candidates (Paudie Coffey and John Deasy). Don't mind silly councillors who are mouthing off, nobody takes any notice of them generally. There elected to deal with local issues on the ground, and not have a go at everything and anything to get a bit of PR going for themselves in the hope of pulling a better vote in their next elections after scraping in prior. Besides, its only a handful all connected. Bickering aside, the party works very well.

FF shouldn't even be considered. Cullen was the only decent FF TD for Waterford here. Kenneally has done nothing, just starve us of a bye-election by voting against it in the Dail. Even when Cullen left, he didn't fill in the boots. Their party wrecked this country, time for a change nationally and across the board.

Sully wrote: »
    Not great, but its not a big issue. Your only looking at a general election, so two FG candidates (Paudie Coffey and John Deasy).

Not only do these two appear to be on different sides of the Wall at times, but they appear to be at total different ends of a very long wall.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not only do these two appear to be on different sides of the Wall at times, but they appear to be at total different ends of a very long wall.

Who cares? They work together when needed, always have and always will. Its not whats important.

No point slurring the FG candidates just to move the heat from FF. They have done effectively nothing for Waterford and nationally screwed us over. Time for a change.

Who cares? They work together when needed, always have and always will. Its not whats important.

No point slurring the FG candidates just to move the heat from FF. They have done effectively nothing for Waterford and nationally screwed us over. Time for a change.

What has FG or Lab done for Waterford any time they were in Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

John Deasy or Paudie Coffey if elected wont be sitting at the cabinet table.if labour are in with fg neither will Brian o Shea if elected.
    not looking good for waterford.

wfman wrote: »
    John Deasy or Paudie Coffey if elected wont be sitting at the cabinet table.if labour are in with fg neither will Brian o Shea if elected.
    not looking good for waterford.

Would have thought that Brian O'Shea would have a good chance.

Im pretty sure Brian o shea in his prime when he topped the poll in waterford was a junior minister.At 66 i think this would be his last outing.He'd be 71 at the next general election.
    The only way o'shea is getting a seat at the cabinet is if labour have the numbers to form a goverment which wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

There seems to be a view that Labour have no policies , this is nonsense - I would refer people to www.labour.ie and then click on " our ideas "

What has FG or Lab done for Waterford any time they were in Power.

Ill talk with you when you can talk without your FF hat on, as usual.

As for ministerial positions - in the future, you should see Coffey sooner rather then later. Deasy wasn't appointed a seat ages ago because he doesn't get on with the leader of the party and smoking in the Dail never helped either. So if FG are going to be in power, and it looks like it, then voting for Coffey would be better for Waterford in the long run.

The two TDs on FF from Waterford, only one of them was ever any good for Waterford. It takes time.

coffey as a minister.sure he hasnt been elected.coffee was fancied for by election but your looking at a GE now.
    Deasy will still poll higher then him in a GE.
    coffee first elected in the locals in 1999,cant see him as a minister any time soon.

deise blue wrote: »
    There seems to be a view that Labour have no policies , this is nonsense - I would refer people to www.labour.ie and then click on " our ideas "

Most people in politics would feel Labours politics are worth nothing. When you look into the policies, they are weak and vague. Sinn Feins policies are worse, by far, and don't even add up or make economic sense. They have ideas Labour, but wont spell them out and thats what has people concerned and not trusting them. Gilmore is great for the talking, but his party have not even been scrutinized by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Most people in politics would feel Labours politics are worth nothing. When you look into the policies, they are weak and vague. Sinn Feins policies are worse, by far, and don't even add up or make economic sense. They have ideas Labour, but wont spell them out and thats what has people concerned and not trusting them. Gilmore is great for the talking, but his party have not even been scrutinized by the media.

Nonsense , the policies are many and spelt out in great detail .

As I said they are on the website for all to see.

As for people not trusting them - check the polls.

wfman wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Brian o shea in his prime when he topped the poll in waterford was a junior minister.At 66 i think this would be his last outing.He'd be 71 at the next general election.
    The only way o'shea is getting a seat at the cabinet is if labour have the numbers to form a goverment which wont happen.

Whats age got to do with anything. Surely its the best people that should be at the cabinet table regarless if you are 21 or 71.

I have an sneeky view that if (some might say when) Labour and Fine Gael form the next government, that it wont last the full five years. Has any government in which either have been involved lasted a full term in the past. I dont think they have and dont think it will happen again in the future as people will see that the labour/Trade Union combination are responsible for a lot of the mess we are in. Edwina Curry was right last night on the Brendan O'Connor show when she said that people should stand up to the unions.

Ill talk with you when you can talk without your FF hat on, as usual.

As for ministerial positions - in the future, you should see Coffey sooner rather then later. Deasy wasn't appointed a seat ages ago because he doesn't get on with the leader of the party and smoking in the Dail never helped either. So if FG are going to be in power, and it looks like it, then voting for Coffey would be better for Waterford in the long run.

The two TDs on FF from Waterford, only one of them was ever any good for Waterford. It takes time.

What has Deasy and Kenny not getting on to do with the question i asked. What have FG or LAB done for Waterford in the past when they were in power.

Guess that is why some people say they have views on everything but the solution to nothing. It is easy to come out with the populice crap they come out with at times but they seldom if ever come out with solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Electing Deasy is like electing a lame duck. He has no confidence of the party hierarchy. I don't think he's going to work his way back, it would probably take a change of leadership for that to happen. We don't have credible alternatives here in Waterford, just like the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Electing Deasy is like electing a lame duck. He has no confidence of the party hierarchy. I don't think he's going to work his way back, it would probably take a change of leadership for that to happen. We don't have credible alternatives here in Waterford, just like the rest of the country.

Thats not going to happen is it, now that Enda is himself. I dont know who he was before he said he was going to be himself. And as he tells us, all the party are now behind him. And we all believe him. Who would we be to dispute what he says. Up hands who does believe him.

Advertisement