Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics - Who's who?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Sully wrote: »
    Most people in politics would feel Labours politics are worth nothing. When you look into the policies, they are weak and vague. Sinn Feins policies are worse, by far, and don't even add up or make economic sense. They have ideas Labour, but wont spell them out and thats what has people concerned and not trusting them. Gilmore is great for the talking, but his party have not even been scrutinized by the media.

Sully, can you expand a little on your opinion that Sinn Feins policies are worse by far and don`t even add up pls?

I would argue that if you consider the result in Donegal on Friday, SF & Lab are on the up whereas FG dropped 5% in their 1st prefs. How do you account for that pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Whats age got to do with anything. Surely its the best people that should be at the cabinet table regarless if you are 21 or 71.

I have an sneeky view that if (some might say when) Labour and Fine Gael form the next government, that it wont last the full five years. Has any government in which either have been involved lasted a full term in the past. I dont think they have and dont think it will happen again in the future as people will see that the labour/Trade Union combination are responsible for a lot of the mess we are in. Edwina Curry was right last night on the Brendan O'Connor show when she said that people should stand up to the unions.

Labour have nothing to do with the mess we are in currently - they were not in power.

The Banks , Developers and FF are the guilty parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Sorry Guys, Fairly new to boards so forgive my ignorance. Somebody told me that some of the mods on the Waterford forum are active members of a political party. Just wondering if that is true?? I reckon that if a mod is a member of a party they should make that clear if they are moderating a political thread. I would appreciate some clarification on this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What has Deasy and Kenny not getting on to do with the question i asked. What have FG or LAB done for Waterford in the past when they were in power.

Deasy was elected in the 2000 General Election and given a front bench position for Waterford. Brian O'Shea, a fair bit longer. Neither FG or Labour have bene in power the length FF have, whereby they had two TDs for Waterford and only one was any good. Their achievements - both candidates, especially O'Shea who I see as an excellent individual and a fantastic TD, have done a lot for people on a personal level. Neither were in power long enough to bring any real change to Waterford. Its very unfair to ask what they have done nationally.
    Thats not going to happen is it, now that Enda is himself. I dont know who he was before he said he was going to be himself. And as he tells us, all the party are now behind him. And we all believe him. Who would we be to dispute what he says. Up hands who does believe him.

What?
    MoodRacer wrote: »
    Sully, can you expand a little on your opinion that Sinn Feins policies are worse by far and don`t even add up pls?

Id prefer to give a decent response, but my complaint would be in regards to their economic policies. Ill explain why when I get a bit more time to explain it, hopefully later or tommorrow.
    I would argue that if you consider the result in Donegal on Friday, SF & Lab are on the up whereas FG dropped 5% in their 1st prefs. How do you account for that pal?

Are you seriously refering to one election in an area where the SF candidate brought the government to court to get the election and got a huge amount of media attention? He wont do that well in the general election. Bye Elections and General Elections do not give a clear indication as to a GE result.

SF are not even doing that great in opinion polls to indicate a similar ripple across the electorate throughout Ireland. Locally, the big question is can Cullinane actually do it this time. Its a tough battle and I am not sure SF has room in Waterford.
    jad2007 wrote: »
    Sorry Guys, Fairly new to boards so forgive my ignorance. Somebody told me that some of the mods on the Waterford forum are active members of a political party. Just wondering if that is true?? I reckon that if a mod is a member of a party they should make that clear if they are moderating a political thread. I would appreciate some clarification on this.

I assume its because your new and on short of wearing a badge, I am the only mod who has never hidden or pretended not to be involved within any party. Its fairly well known whos who etc and about my own involvement. I cant comment for the other mods, they don't get into the political discussion online much :)

Id prefer to give a decent response, but my complaint would be in regards to their economic policies. Ill explain why when I get a bit more time to explain it, hopefully later or tommorrow.
    Are you seriously refering to one election in an area where the SF candidate brought the government to court to get the election and got a huge amount of media attention? He wont do that well in the general election. Bye Elections and General Elections do not give a clear indication as to a GE result.
    Ok, tks. Looking forward to your response. Of course SF got bounce from the court case, that goes without saying. However that does not accout for FG dropping 5%. There appears to be a swing to the left. Kenny must have been disappointed as he cancelled an appearence in the count centre that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ok, tks. Looking forward to your response. Of course SF got bounce from the court case, that goes without saying. However that does not accout for FG dropping 5%. There appears to be a swing to the left. Kenny must have been disappointed as he cancelled an appearence in the count centre that evening.

I canvassed Donegal, and the candidate wasn't very well received from the people. I expect that will change in the GE when the current TD runs and the vote wont be low. I don't think many in FG expected him to win, and probably not the candidate himself either. Second isn't a bad place all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

FF should never ever be back in power, If they get 1% of the votes it's too much for them.

To be honest, Waterford politics and politicians are a bit of a joke, and nationally are seen as irrelevant anyway..

Cullen did just as much damage as good for Waterford over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

jesus sully if u canvassed donegal and your of the opinion that coffey will be a minister.

god help us all!!

to the soup kitchens!

Gardner wrote: »
    jesus sully if u canvassed donegal and your of the opinion that coffey will be a minister.

god help us all!!

to the soup kitchens!

I canvassed for Coffey and the reception I got on the doors was great, which is why I have stronger faith then Donegal candidate. Regardless of leader.

I do believe, and I am not saying when, that Coffey will be made minister in a FG lead government. It seems a given, as it stands anyway, that Deasy wont be made a minister. Whether this will change under a new leader, who knows.

Just my personal view, and you disagree. Neither of us know for certain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I canvassed for Coffey and the reception I got on the doors was great, which is why I have stronger faith then Donegal candidate. Regardless of leader.

I do believe, and I am not saying when, that Coffey will be made minister in a FG lead government. It seems a given, as it stands anyway, that Deasy wont be made a minister. Whether this will change under a new leader, who knows.

Getting a good reception on the door steps does not mean that people will vote for you. Getting about 7000 first preference votes less that Pierce Doherty and 1000 less than Brian O Domhnaill must show this.

• Advertisement

oh i disagree all right. think we will leave it at that before u suggest something else.....

Well Sully. Are you caught in the snow somewhere??:D

Well Sully. Are you caught in the snow somewhere??:D

Yeah, indoors. :p I haven't forgotten, I just don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate towards this as I work from home but I will before the end of the week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I guess I forgot to vote in the 2000 general election :) , Sully,
    Seriously though, there seems to be a polarisation of the electorate going on and I think that FG may suffer as the 'Up Mayo' faction seems to be a mirror image of FF. Labour is being smart but the ones to watch in all this are Sinn Fein. At the worst, people may just consider Labour to be FF lite and the decision of Labour not to run a second candidate in Waterford (if the news is correct) is braindead. There's a chance for FG and Labour to take two seats each but one of them, at least, will be a temporary one-Dail seat. The big mistake FG made the last time was in running D'Arcy (another school teacher as if politics hasn't enough of them). They should have put all their effort behind Deasy and Coffey.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When the general election does come around , I'm thinking of putting a nice big sign in my front door window,

FF CANDIDATES ,CAMPAIGNERS OR LEAFLETS
    ARE NOT WELCOME
    PLEASE PISS OFF
    THANK YOU...

I may have to listen to their **** on TV ..I dont have to on my own doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

What has Deasy and Kenny not getting on to do with the question i asked. What have FG or LAB done for Waterford in the past when they were in power.

The next time you are in Dungarvan go and take a good look at the GSK plant!! Delivered by Austin Deasy.

The next time you are in WRH take a look around you!! Delivered by Austin Deasy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jumpedupjohn

"I do believe, and I am not saying when, that Coffey will be made minister in a FG lead government. It seems a given, as it stands anyway, that Deasy wont be made a minister. Whether this will change under a new leader, who knows". (SULLY)

I'm in agreement with Sully on this, Coffey will be made a Junior Minister at the very least. Waterford county gave the second highest vote to FG in local elections of 2009 with first place being Mayo of course. What is needed in Waterford is for FG HQ to recognise that the FG leader and front bench are supported in Waterford.(By all FG elected members) I wish elected members would remember that it's not about their personal feelings but that they represent the county....us! Enda Kenny will lead the next government whether we like that or not so let's get on with trying to get the best deal for the county. Coffey will do extremely well in GE and I feel Deasy is threathened by this. Deasy is basically a bored back bencher with a thirst for power but realises Coffey is going to be the main FG man in Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Paudie Coffey should be elected a TD next time round, but if he is made a Minister or Junior Minister almost straight away, would it cause some ill feeling amongst other FG TD's, especially as some of them are there quite a while and would be expecting to be in the front bench or very close to it.

Also the likely hood is that someone will be with them more than likely Labour and they will want their portion of Ministers and Junior Ministers as well, reducing the amount of options that Enda has of trying to keep everyone happy, especially those that voted for him in the heave during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jumpedupjohn

It has been the case over the last number of governments to strategically place Ministers not according to their ability but according to geography. You may have a great number of TD's in the Dublin region but this does not mean Minister positions will go to one region or go to someone just because they are around a long time. But regardless, if the Waterford electorate respond to FG as they did in the local election then they will have to be rewarded and with only two deputies who will FG select? The guy that has been a very deliberate thorn in the side of the leader of FG or the other guy, the one that supports the leader of the party? So yeah, I really think Coffey will be a Junior Minister in the next government.

....Unless that is of course O'Shea demands a seat at the front bench... Chairman of the Labour Party, colleague of Gilmore, last opportunity prior to retirement, the very man capable to preventing any other Labour candidate from going forward.....I could see that being the only reason why no FG deputy will be acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    When the general election does come around , I'm thinking of putting a nice big sign in my front door window,

FF CANDIDATES ,CAMPAIGNERS OR LEAFLETS
    ARE NOT WELCOME
    PLEASE PISS OFF
    THANK YOU...

I may have to listen to their **** on TV ..I dont have to on my own doorstep.

I was feeling the same way, but now Im not sure. I've started to think that no matter who gets elected, theyre gonna have more of a mess than they can clean up, so Im wondering is it better to put FF back in and make them clean up their own mess, cause if they walk now then theyve gotten away with it! Although there is the tremendous risk that they would just make it worse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

I was feeling the same way, but now Im not sure. I've started to think that no matter who gets elected, theyre gonna have more of a mess than they can clean up, so Im wondering is it better to put FF back in and make them clean up their own mess, cause if they walk now then theyve gotten away with it! Although there is the tremendous risk that they would just make it worse....

Oh Dear God, no, no and no again!

Thats like putting the guys who robbed your house in charge of installing the new alarm.

This is FF's best (only?) shot at getting back in, they have to be kicked out, they have done far too much damage and need to be thrown on the scrapheap.

bumpity bump

love reading this over 12 months on!!

you still believe this sully?? :D

bumpity bump

Yeah I'd say its likely but I wouldn't know when tbh. As I said last year, I don't know and im merely guessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

bumpity bump

Give it a thirty year window and it's just about possible.Minister for Fun,Defence or some other runt portfolio.

Advertisement