Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeing at night

• 25-11-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

This has probably been asked and answered plenty of times before so apologies.

My 3yo terrier X has taken to peeing on the floor of the utility room at night. We used live in a house that had a doggie door into a secure yard and he made ample use of it, but have since moved into a house that he is confined into at night and recently (last couple of months) he seems to have decided that we don't mind him piddling the floor.

He gets a good walk last thing at night to empty him out, and _never_ pees or poops in the house during the day despite being left home alone 2-3 days a week, so it seems that he has just got into the recent habit of relieving himself at night, up against the bin, and thinks we're cool with it.

I don't see much point in reading him the riot act after the fact, and can't catch him in the act, so any tips? Not keen on crate training or anything like that so I'd like to steer clear of that area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

I've the same problem with a 4year old Bichon... only does it at night, the little bugger!!!
    So I'd be interested in the replies you get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, for a situation like this, crate training could be your only option, just even for a few weeks to break the habit of peeing then once he has stopped it, you can go back to leaving him out of the crate.

Sounds like its more of a habit than anything and unless you do a late night wake up to let him out to pee, he will keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rockyb23

I've no doubt crate training would be effective, I just haven't got the time energy or will to convince my girlfriend that it's in the dog's interests.

I dont understand what the whole issue is with crate training. In this instance its your best option and it might only take a week to get him out of the habit of peeing at night.
    He needs to be confined to somewhere small enough so he doesnt want to pee where he sleeps and a crate is going to do that.

Unless you get up to let him out, it looks like he will continue to pee so thats your only option really.

Yeah fair enough and I appreciate the tip. To clarify I don't have any problem with it and would do it like a shot, but I know from past experience it would prompt an argument with my partner who would regard it as cruel (past experience being arguments about check chains, corrections, not feeding the dog cake etc etc.).

I might just have to bite the bullet though. Is it a simple case of leaving him in the crate for the night or is there a process of getting him used to it? Should the crate be big enough to have food and water in with him or not?

and regarding the getting up at night method - this is a question of taking him out at say, 4am and then gradually leaving it later and later (4.30 the next day, 5am the next etc) until you're basically leaving him until normal getting up time?

thanks for the replies

• Advertisement

Right, got me hands on a crate (how's about that for a u-turn?)

Just bung him into it tonight and see how it goes for a week or is there more I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

rockyb23 wrote: »

Just bung him into it tonight and see how it goes for a week or is there more I should know?

Just make sure you leave him out before you go to bed to releive himself if need be .

No i wouldnt, what i would do is feed him in it for a night or 2 leaving the door open, then gradually build up the time hes in it.
    Then put him in and close the door and give him a treat to keep him occupied. You will probably know soon enough if he will be happy being in it with the door closed.

If hes used to going to the toilet during the night he might need to be let out early in the morning so maybe prepare to get up early and let him out and then gradually lengthen time in the morn before hes let out.

He's munching away inside there now happy out (save for the baby trying to lock him in).

He's slept in a crate before on the ferry so shouldn't traumatize him too much.

Herself is going to flip when she sees it...

He's munching away inside there now happy out (save for the baby trying to lock him in).

He's slept in a crate before on the ferry so shouldn't traumatize him too much.

Herself is going to flip when she sees it...

Ah well then, if hes happy enough then you could try leaving him in it tonight.

Well what would she prefer, pee all over the place?:D

• Advertisement

I get up earlier so am usually the one that cleans it up...

I get up earlier so am usually the one that cleans it up...

Well then she has no case;)

Advertisement