Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Balbriggan Fuel Depot were not delivering this week after monday (completely understandable) lucky for us some coalman knocked on the door at half 5 christmas eve :eek:. Stocked up. Said he would be around every second Saturday. Must get his name.

You never got that service during the Celtic Tiger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Starting to get cold again so thinking about a bulk buy of coal.
    Anyone know of any decent deals at the moment? Some of that
    Bord Na Mona 'Black Diamond' stuff I got last year was dirt, very hard to light and
    no real heat. Might pay a little extra for some good quality premium stuff this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

What is the best type of coal to get and where is the best place to buy it?

I used to buy the following coal from Coors in Balbriggan for about €7.50 a bag (20kg).

Black-Diamond-polish.jpg

I went to buy the coal recently and it is unavailable now due to Fingal being a smokeless fuel area.

The coal I got was the following and I find it doesn't give off great heat and is difficult to get going

1xBlack%20Diamond%20-%20Cosyglo%20Gems%2040kg_small.jpg

I am burning the above in an open fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

LeoB wrote: »
    Pat Butterly The Cross, Rush will deliver just about anywhere
    01 8437179

Hope you all got sorted.

While they're bang on and will go out of their way to get to you it's €16 for a 20KG bag of Black Diamond. After finding this thread I think I'm going to have to shop around. Been paying €32 each time I get a 40kg load to fill the bunker.

Edit - Disregard please. It's €16 for 40kg delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

sin0city wrote: »
    While they're bang on and will go out of their way to get to you it's €16 for a 20KG bag of Black Diamond. After finding this thread I think I'm going to have to shop around. Been paying €32 each time I get a 40kg load to fill the bunker.

Eh, I thought it was €16 for a 40KG bag not 20KG? Coalman usually delivers bigger bags, 20KG are normally what you buy when you are stuck and need to run to some local supplier/shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Eh, I thought it was €16 for a 40KG bag not 20KG? Coalman usually delivers bigger bags, 20KG are normally what you buy when you are stuck and need to run to some local supplier/shop.

Doh. Sorry, you're right. I was confused between the 20kg and the 40kg. Thought you got 10kg in the shops and the coleman was delivering 20kg. But now that I think about it 10kg would be tiny.

So I can't recommend Butterly's highly enough then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 richballs

sin0city wrote: »
    Doh. Sorry, you're right. I was confused between the 20kg and the 40kg. Thought you got 10kg in the shops and the coleman was delivering 20kg. But now that I think about it 10kg would be tiny.

So I can't recommend Butterly's highly enough then :)

Hi I know this post is a bit old im new to balbriggan so wit the winter approaching was looking to stock up on Somme coal does anyone know we're the best place to get some from at a good price many tks

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

richballs wrote: »
    Hi I know this post is a bit old im new to balbriggan so wit the winter approaching was looking to stock up on Somme coal does anyone know we're the best place to get some from at a good price many tks

Wights agri in ballough in lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

micraX wrote: »
    Wights agri in ballough in lusk.

How much are they charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mylamae

Does anybody know where in north Dublin has good prices and deals for coal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Not coal but there is a guy just down from the Man 'O'War pub selling airdried logs.
    From Man'O'War head towards Skerries and he is just on the left hand side. The yard has a sign on the front.
    Has different sizes of bags and I think he delivers.
    Probably the best logs I have used. Burn fantastic. Makes the damp logs you get from shops/service stations looks like the crap they are.
    He has soft wood (great for getting the stove/fire going) and hard wood for when the fire is roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks bcmf, getting a stove in shortly. Anyone got a non boiler insert or freestanding one? Any recommendations?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Thanks bcmf, getting a stove in shortly. Anyone got a non boiler insert or freestanding one? Any recommendations?

Depends on budget and size of room you wanna heat but I got mine last year from a guy on the N2 just north M50 but not as far as Black Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

5kwh should be fine, standard living room but can throw open double doors to kitchen diner.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    5kwh should be fine, standard living room but can throw open double doors to kitchen diner.

He has 4kw or 6kw.
    I got a 4 as I wasnt sure if the 6 would fit but if I were you go for the 6kw as it can take a bigger log/load plus the extra heat.

Advertisement