Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834GT constantly rebooting

• 25-11-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've got a Netgear DG834GT that's about 5 years old, never had a problem with it.

Came down this morning and none of my machines would connect to the net, or even the router admin.

It seems to be stuck in a constant rebooting cycle - power will come on, the four number lights will flash, the test and wireless lights will flash, and power will go off and repeat the cycle.

Dug out my old Aolynk router, plugged it into the same power supply, and it's fine.

If the Netgear is bricked I've no problem replacing it - 5 years is a decent run for it. But I did come across one thread when googling the problem suggesting that it's power needs are very close to what's supplied by the PSU, and that cold weather can affect this slightly and cause it problems. Odd that it's never happened before now, btu as it's bitter this morning just wondering if this makes sense to anyone?

The Aolynk doesn't have wifi so presumable requires less power.

If it is just a temporary issue I'd just use the old router for a few hours until it warms up outside, but sounds a bit odd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

You could try the following and try to flash it with a new firmware:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

gibbon75 wrote: »
    You could try the following and try to flash it with a new firmware:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html

Thanks for that, got me some of the way, but flashing the firmware only led to it staying on marginally longer.

Pings now either time out, return OK, or give a hardware error - so at least now I know it's knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Sorry to hear that :(
    My GT is still going strong after many years.I've got it off Ebay for very cheap as a Sky branded router and flashed it with a DGTeam firmware.I've seen it holding the line at close to 0db SNR :eek:

Advertisement