Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Considering that we have an election on the way who do you think will be our 3 brave TDs.

Will O'Donoghue get the Lowrey factor and top the Poll. How about MHR even though Jackie always voted FF. Tom Sheehan Let me get back to you about that.

Anyone :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »
    Considering that we have an election on the way who do you think will be our 3 brave TDs.

Will O'Donoghue get the Lowrey factor and top the Poll. How about MHR even though Jackie always voted FF. Tom Sheehan Let me get back to you about that.

Anyone :confused::confused:

This one will be different to all the previous that I have voted in. In the past, people voted for having a TD in their locality; for who could secure funding for varying projects and for someone who wouldn’t just roll over.
    Now, there won’t be any funding available for any new projects so they can’t canvass on that. As for having a TD in the locality – no-one knows what will be done in the interim or who will make a deal with who and therefore who knows what party or parties will form the Government never mind having a TD of any influence in the Dáil.

Labour might be having a selection convention before we know who will run there. Fianna Fáil is a mystery for me here in South Kerry. I’m just baffled by the party as a whole right now and don’t know what way to look when I meet potential candidates. Independents could spring up in the interim, we already have Michael Healy Rae canvassing in Killarney, not like his father at all (but is that a good thing? I’m not sure!). Fine Gael, I personally never had much time for in the past and I’ve not met many here in South Kerry worthy of a vote, never mind a 1st preference vote.

To answer your question: who do you think will be our 3 brave TDs – I honestly just don’t know. I’ll speak more when I know who is formally running but right now, the net is too wide and I’m still trying to understand some of the practices of the current government as a whole and the condition of Ireland at present to think locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Will any FFers even bother canvassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Will any FFers even bother canvassing?

Never to be seen or heard of Tommy Mac should not bother IMO - total waste of my tax money, not that I ever voted for him anyway.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Never to be seen or heard of Tommy Mac should not bother IMO - total waste of my tax money, not that I ever voted for him anyway.

He actually knocked on doors north of Tralee before he first got elected, and hasn't been seen here since. Another example of someone getting on the bandwagon thanks to his ancestor being in the right place at the right time 90 years ago.

People will be expecting a hell of a lot more productivity from politicians now, no matter what party they belong to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

He actually knocked on doors north of Tralee before he first got elected, and hasn't been seen here since. Another example of someone getting on the bandwagon thanks to his ancestor being in the right place at the right time 90 years ago.

People will be expecting a hell of a lot more productivity from politicians now, no matter what party they belong to.

He'll be elected. Sorry to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

Poor Tommy Mac doesn't have much chance. I mean, I doubt he did anything to cause the situation we're in (that might require actually actively doing something. Labour will probably take his seat with whoever they run... I'm not sure how I feel about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I hope jackie healy Rae dosn't get voted back in if he runs. remember he is one of the indipendents that is letting the government push through the budget with is disigned yet again to hit the low to middle income earners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I hope jackie healy Rae dosn't get voted back in if he runs. remember he is one of the indipendents that is letting the government push through the budget with is disigned yet again to hit the low to middle income earners.
    He's not running, but Michael is.

manna wrote: »
    Labour will probably take his seat with whoever they run...

Arthur J. Spring AFAIK

xxyyzz wrote: »
    He'll be elected. Sorry to say.

They should have a Methodone-type programme for FF addicts, to cure them of their tendencies.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Common as...

The options in south kerry for the next election are very very limited. Seeing as Jackie wont be runnning and John O' D abused the expenses system to the extent that he did, I expect J Sheahan to be the most likely to retain his seat.
    Micheal healy rae will be running instead of Jackie this time and Im hoping the guy doesn't get in, he and his brother Dan should stick to their duties on the council as this is what they're suited to.
    People must remember that whatever favours the Rae's can do for you, they can do without getting elected to the Dail. They've never really been able to see the bigger picture as they are just simply not clever enough, so if south kerry send up Micheal HR as one of its TD's it really doesn't do any good for the country.
    As for the personality of Jackie, Micheal and Danny healy Rae, I've never seen or heard someone who acts like that in Kerry, and I find it annoying that we are portrayed in such a way. A few days ago Jackie commented "I've just landed up from the bogs of south kerry" Ask yourself do you know anybody outside of Jackie and co. who talks like that.
    As for Mr John Expenses O' Donoghue. Well, I kinda Know the guy, and I wasn't surprised one bit when news broke about his expense claims as this is the kinda guy he is.
    The thing that pissed me off most over the last few years was the lavish expense claims by politicians, and John O'D was the worst.

So my main purpose for voting will be to keep Rae and O Donoghue out, so I'll be voting nearly all the way down the card.

So with possible exception of John Sheahan the other candidates that I've heard that are in the running are hopeless they shouldn't even be councillors.
    The standard of candidate in south Kerry has been low in recent years anyways, but for the next election unless a few new faces are parachuted in, it will make for some depressing voting. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Qwert1

If john o' donaghue gets elected again after the scandal with the expenses all you can say is that we deserve every bit of suffering that has come our way.

Did I hear that Teresa Ferris is considering running in South Kerry ?.

Seeing the latest poll result, it will make an interesting campaign if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

manna wrote: »
    Poor Tommy Mac doesn't have much chance. I mean, I doubt he did anything to cause the situation we're in (that might require actually actively doing something. Labour will probably take his seat with whoever they run... I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Don't forget the voters of west Limerick who've been added onto Kerry North for this election. Report on Kerry Today recently said Tom Mc had been haunting every lane and bohreen from Abbeyfeale to Glin. Now that these folks don't have a Collins to vote for, will they be swayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Seeing the latest poll result, it will make an interesting campaign if she does.

Would be very interesting. Just listening to disaffected FFers locally who are considering their options they would be far more inclined to vote for Toireasa than they would be for her father. And I've heard a few interviews with her on Raidio na G lately - which will do the profile no harm at all in some quarters.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Don't forget the voters of west Limerick who've been added onto Kerry North for this election. Report on Kerry Today recently said Tom Mc had been haunting every lane and bohreen from Abbeyfeale to Glin. Now that these folks don't have a Collins to vote for, will they be swayed?

If haunting's all he's doing, he won't stand a ghost of a chance.

Would Desperate Dan Kiely stand more of a chance in that neck of the woods?

The Dail Constituencies Boundary Commission have redrawn both the Limerick West and Limerick East constituencies and have further renamed them Limerick City and Limerick. The new Limerick constituency will now comprise of all parts of East, South and West County Limerick excluding the areas of Glin, Athea, Ardagh, Abbeyfeale, Mountcollins, Monagea and Templeglantine which now form part of the new North Kerry/West Limerick constituency. This new "Limerick" constituency is a three seater and the new "Limerick City" constituency is a four seater. Arising from this revision Niall Collins will contest the new Limerick constituency at the next general election. All sitting TD's in this constituency are loosing significant votes gained in the 2007 general election from the area moving into North Kerry/ West Limerick constituency. Niall Collins TD is loosing 2,278 first preference votes, John Cregan TD is loosing 1,781 and Dan Neville TD (FG) is loosing 1,111 votes.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/niall-collins/

It seems that FF don't want to be associated with "losing", so have avoided using the word altogether.

Not a very strong candidate (performance wise) to attempt to hold the North Kerry FF fort.

Has he actually done anything of note?:confused:

http://www.kerryman.ie/
    McEllistrim to fight on his own in Kerry North
    By SIMON BROUDER

Wednesday January 12 2011

FOR the first time in the history of the constituency, Fianna Fáil has opted to run just one general election candidate in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Does anyone have a list of confirmed candidates for each of the two Kerry constituencies.

So far I know of is Kerry South:

John O'Donoghue (FF)
    Tom Sheahan (FG)
    Michael Healy Rae (Ind)

and no idea about Kerry North/Limerick West? (is that the "official" name of the constituency?)

dmeehan wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of confirmed candidates for each of the two Kerry constituencies.

So far I know of is Kerry South:

John O'Donoghue (FF)
    Tom Sheahan (FG)
    Michael Healy Rae (Ind)

and no idea about Kerry North/Limerick West? (is that the "official" name of the constituency?)

It seems to be North Kerry/West Limerick, according to the FF website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think the current state of play is as follows.

Kerry South
    John O'Donoghue (FF)
    Tom Sheahan (FG)
    Michael Healy Rae (IND/FF)
    Tom Flemming (IND/FF)
    Brendan Griffin (FG)
    Marie Moloney (L)
    Mick Glesson (SKIA)

Kerry North/Limerick West
    Martin Ferris (SF)
    Tom McEllistrim (FF)
    Jimmy Deenihan (FG)
    Arthur Spring (L)
    John Sheahan (FG)

Three different strands of FF in south Kerry :rolleyes: - I wonder if there is any chance they could end up nobbling one another.

Came accross this gem earlier. Don't give the Healy Raes your mobile number or you might be subjected to this.

McEllistrim giving the speech of a lifetime.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Teresa is a very good speaker and seems well up on current affairs unlike some of the others, I would like to see more united left or sf candidates being put forward.
    If only Labour and FG would come up with a few half decent proposals i might be more willing to back them.
    So far though i think there needs to be a near complete overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

McEllistrim giving the speech of a lifetime.:o

So thats what he looks like :):)
    Will he even bother putting up posters??

So thats what he looks like :):)
    Will he even bother putting up posters??

If you've got it, flaunt it.:p

Based on his video performance, and how he handled that crowd, you'd have to be a desperate FFer to even consider voting for him.

I remember reading once that he showed Dirk Benedict (the guy who played "Face" in the 1980s A Team series) around Leinster House, which I found ironic, but apart from that important business, I've no idea what he's done for us mere mortals in his constuency.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I remember reading once that he showed Dirk Benedict (the guy who played "Face" in the 1980s A Team series) around Leinster House, which I found ironic, but apart from that important business, I've no idea what he's done for us mere mortals in his constuency.

oa3bdl.gif

dapto1 wrote: »
    oa3bdl.gif

Separated at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

dapto1 wrote: »
    oa3bdl.gif
    ...If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team...

Ironically even today you'd have a better chance of finding and getting actual help from the original A Team than that clown...

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Ironically even today you'd have a better chance of finding and getting actual help from the original A Team than that clown...

FF = The Z Team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Im from north kerry but heard that tom flemming from scartaglen has left FF and is running independent.
    I never met the man but he seems to be well liked in the area.

Advertisement