Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why isn't the FF head honcho visiting Kerry North-West Limerick to support our FF-wonder?

Reason 1: Because he thinks McEllistrim is going to sail through on the first preference, without the support of the big-wigs?

or

Reason 2: The FF hierarchy just wants to forget about him, to avoid any embarassment, and pretend that Kerry North-West Limerick doesn't exist?

(Of course, Micheal Martin might sneak back at some stage for a Tralee pep-talk, who knows?)
    Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin is in Kerry today campaigning for Deputy John O'Donoghue. However, he will only be canvassing in the Kerry South constituency and won't be visiting Kerry North/ West Limerick. He is due in Killorglin around now (10 am) where he's on a visit to Lankford Street, to the offices of County Councillor Paul O'Donoghue. From there he is travelling to Killarney where he's due around 10.45 at the Glebe Car Park. Deputy Martin will meet Fianna Fail's local organisation at Scott's Hotel at around half twelve.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Reason 1, then?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Reason 1, then?

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a politician was deluded.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Looking at the news @ 6pm, I thought I saw him pictured in Listowel.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Looking at the news @ 6pm, I thought I saw him pictured in Listowel.

I live a few miles away from there, and I didn't smell anything strange.:pac:

The only real FF representation in Listowel is Senator Ned O'Sullivan, whose only claim to fame is that he gave 400 ties as Christmas gifts to councillors back in 2008. Perhaps his boss was looking for a spare one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Brendan Griffin occupied 2 petrol pump spaces today with his one car. Not impressed :mad:

siblers wrote: »
    Brendan Griffin occupied 2 petrol pump spaces today with his one car. Not impressed :mad:

Was that a parish petrol pump?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what is the ceiling on what a candidate can spend on election posters and litrature,

goat2 wrote: »
    what is the ceiling on what a candidate can spend on election posters and litrature,

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/election_expenses.html
    The Electoral Act of 1997 introduced a new system for controlling and limiting election expenditure by political parties and candidates in Ireland. Since the commencement of the Act, parties and candidates must account for all that they spend on an election, including expenditure on advertising, promoting the party, opposing other candidates and soliciting votes. The election period starts on the date of the dissolution of the Dáil and runs to polling day, including both dates.

The 1997 Act sets down limits so that candidates are only allowed to spend a certain amount on elections. The maximum that a candidate can spend on a Dáil election is
    • €45,200 per candidate in a five-seat constituency
    • €37,650 per candidate in a four-seat constituency
    • €30,150 per candidate in a three-seat constituency
    The 1997 Act also created a system of reimbursement of election expenses. If a candidate received at least one-quarter of the quota of votes for the constituency in which he or she ran, he or she may apply for a reimbursement of up to €8,700 of his or her election expenses.

Rules
    • Each political party must appoint a "national agent" who must account for and control all of the party's election expenses. As well as a national agent for each party, each candidate must appoint an "election agent" to control the candidate's expenditure on elections (the candidate can appoint himself or herself).
    • The national agent or election agent must be the person to enter into all contracts that involve spending money on the election, including booking advertisements with the newspapers, etc.
    • Each political party's national agent must deliver a detailed statement to the Standards in Public Office Commission within 56 days after the polling day. The statement must describe all of the expenses incurred by the party.
    • Each candidate's election agent must deliver a similar statement setting out the candidate's expenditure. A candidate may allot some of his or her spending limit to his or her party. This must be set out in the statement.
    • Invoices or claims relating to expenditure on elections must be sent to the national or election agents within 45 days after the polling day. If they are claimed after 45 days, the agent cannot pay them.
    • It is an offence for a national or an election agent to spend over the limit or to fail to submit the statement of expenses. It is also an offence to pay an election expense that was not claimed within 45 days after the polling day.
    • Every candidate who is unsuccessful in the Dáil election must deliver a statement of donations within 56 days after the polling day. This statement must give details of any donations above 634.87 euro that the candidate received in relation to the election. Successful candidates will have to make a statement of donations as part of the annual declaration that all TDs must make.
    • No candidate can receive an individual donation greater than 2,539.48 euro for election expenses. No political party can receive an individual donation greater than 6,348.69 euro for election expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

goat2 wrote: »

I meant he occupied it with his car when he wa filling up ( should have made that clearerer) :p

• Advertisement

I meant he occupied it with his car when he wa filling up ( should have made that clearerer) :p

It was clear enough for me.:D

On Politics.ie, in reference to Kerry North-West Limerick, it seems to be the general consensus that none of politicians have been very successful in getting anything much in the way of anything, apart from their inflated salaries and expenses, and are all doing a lousy job.

I think that even during the boom years, anywhere north of Tralee got diddly-squat, and now that the boom years have disappeared into oblivion, there's going to be less than diddly-squat for all areas.

If anyone has good reasons for voting for any of these characters, I for one would be interested in hearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Can I just point your attention to my wonderful experience with a certain Mr Jimmy Deenihan...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056176697

Doug89 wrote: »
    Can I just point your attention to my wonderful experience with a certain Mr Jimmy Deenihan...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056176697

Your "run-in" won't make a blind bit of difference as he's got a job for life. He does after all fall within the criteria for getting elected as a TD i.e. teacher or retired GAA player.

Does anyone know what he actually does for his constituency?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

The only reason that this man has a 'job for life' is because people vote him in for time and time again, because they've always done it.

By my telling of my story, I hope that people will challenge their own views of what this man is, and look at alternatives.

I think if anything has become obvious in the last few months is that nothing is a safe bet. We are the people, we live in a democracy, we vote for who we want.

It's up to us to change minds, I'm not just going to sit back and be walked all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Came accross a post on politics.ie with all these videos......so I nicked 'em :D for your viewing pleasure

of that list michael gleeson is my preference, straight talking honest man, no old bull **** out of him, as for the rest, all talk, nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I like jimmy deenihan: I don't find him very articulate at times, but I think he's the best TD we have in North Kerry/West Limerick. TD's that are in opposition have far less leverage to bring anything to their constituencies.
    There is a lack of credible alternatives to our existing three TDs at the moment. I don't believe Arthur Spring or any of the Independents have the experience to really push our constituency to the fore. And that is what is needed. I would love to see Spring take Ferris' seat... I find SF policies ridiculous and patronising. I just can't see it happening!!

i do not agree with fine gaels optional irish for leaving cert, i feel strongly about this, making the language less important is not good, it has been part of us all our lives, so for that reason, mr deenihan would not be considered

cyning wrote: »
    I like jimmy deenihan: I don't find him very articulate at times, but I think he's the best TD we have in North Kerry/West Limerick. TD's that are in opposition have far less leverage to bring anything to their constituencies.
    There is a lack of credible alternatives to our existing three TDs at the moment. I don't believe Arthur Spring or any of the Independents have the experience to really push our constituency to the fore. And that is what is needed. I would love to see Spring take Ferris' seat... I find SF policies ridiculous and patronising. I just can't see it happening!!

What leverage has he brought to his constituency, since he was first elected in the 80s?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Came accross a post on politics.ie with all these videos......so I nicked 'em :D for your viewing pleasure

goat2, it looks like there's a newer video for Brendan Griffin here

catchy tune too - I like Feeder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJyMlfMaMM

PH

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What leverage has he brought to his constituency, since he was first elected in the 80s?:confused:

What i said was that he was the best TD in North Kerry/West Limerick.... and that TD's in opposition have less leverage to bring anything to the county. Honestly Tommy Mac is a nightmare and Ferris' economic policies are a joke. It will be good for us a constituency to have a Minister in the next Dail (which Jimmy Deenihan will almost certainely be!)

He has been involved in the gas pipelines, the Lartigue Railway etc off the top of my head. Its Tommy Mac people should be lambasting: what on earth has he done for us?

It's all well and good saying to vote for independents: but are any of the credible alternatives? There are very good Independents out there just not in this constituency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Doug89 wrote: »
    The only reason that this man has a 'job for life' is because people vote him in for time and time again, because they've always done it.

By my telling of my story, I hope that people will challenge their own views of what this man is, and look at alternatives.

I think if anything has become obvious in the last few months is that nothing is a safe bet. We are the people, we live in a democracy, we vote for who we want.

It's up to us to change minds, I'm not just going to sit back and be walked all over.

I have had many dealings with Jimmy Deenihan and always found him to be polite and courteous. Reading your posts, it sounds to me like you were looking to start a fight. And we are not hearing the full story, just the one sided version. I think it would be silly for anyone to change their voting preference based on an unverified rant on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Going by todays poll in The Kerryman,it looks like FG,SF and LAB are on track to win the 3 seats in North Kerry/West Limerick,but with 24.9% undecided its all to play for.

What i said was that he was the best TD in North Kerry/West Limerick.... and that TD's in opposition have less leverage to bring anything to the county. Honestly Tommy Mac is a nightmare and Ferris' economic policies are a joke. It will be good for us a constituency to have a Minister in the next Dail (which Jimmy Deenihan will almost certainely be!)

He has been involved in the gas pipelines, the Lartigue Railway etc off the top of my head. Its Tommy Mac people should be lambasting: what on earth has he done for us?

It's all well and good saying to vote for independents: but are any of the credible alternatives? There are very good Independents out there just not in this constituency!!

He is definitely the best of a bad bunch, and I just hope that he uses some pull to get jobs into North Kerry, because no-one else has managed it.

I don't know what Martin Ferris has done, but he keeps on repeating the same old stuff in his electioneering pamphlet, e.g. he took part in the peace process negotiations and the setting up of the GF agreement. That was a hell of a long time ago in politics.

Tom McEllistrim is a waste of space and really has come out with some crap, mentioning that he knows most about politics because he did a Maynooth thesis on the subject, and telling the KPSWA that if people voted for someone else, it would cost us more in expenses because he doesn't claim as many. As I said in an earlier post, I feel sorry for FFers having only him to vote for. Their party definitely screwed up in the KN-WL constituency having dead wood on the candidate list.

I'm a FFer... and torn. Do i vote for Tommy Mac because I don't want to see my party annihalated. Or do I do whats best in the long run and not: there are plenty of strong FFers in NK/WL. We would see them next time out.

Tom Mac is a ridculous excuse for space. He has done nothing in North Kerry, and even less in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

FF canvassed my house today,the usual hardline FF supporters that canvass my area seemed to have turned their back on Tommy Mac this time.also anyone check this out

http://watchmyback.ie/

goat2, it looks like there's a newer video for Brendan Griffin here

catchy tune too - I like Feeder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJyMlfMaMM

PH

he may take a voluntary cut in wages, but the gaeltacht houses that keep gael lins for summer month and the summer irish schools may be taking a 100% involuntary cut as irish will not be a need subject, to gain a leaving cert, can anyone tell me the story for those who keep irish students, i had two nieces in dingle this year, they loved their time there, will this be kept, or will it be made obselete, there were people who went to school with me some went to galway gealtacht, some to dingle, some to cork, all improving our native language, and to get good grades in the leaving, is there going to be a change in this,

I'm a FFer... and torn. Do i vote for Tommy Mac because I don't want to see my party annihalated. Or do I do whats best in the long run and not: there are plenty of strong FFers in NK/WL. We would see them next time out.

Tom Mac is a ridculous excuse for space. He has done nothing in North Kerry, and even less in the Dail.

How did he manage to win a seat in two elections, when it would have been obvious that he wasn't up to the job after he got in the first time? The FF party must have had a clue that he wasn't doing anything in North Kerry, and it seems to me that FF was only playing the numbers game, and had no interest in the quality of its far-flung candidates.

Was he even any good as a councillor?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    How did he manage to win a seat in two elections, when it would have been obvious that he wasn't up to the job after he got in the first time? The FF party must have had a clue that he wasn't doing anything in North Kerry, and it seems to me that FF was only playing the numbers game, and had no interest in the quality of its far-flung candidates.

Was he even any good as a councillor?

Because they didn't care once he was getting elected. Simple as. Local cumanns are píssed at him. Local people are sick of him.

Norma Foley would have been a great running mate, but they were too scared I think of spliting the already very fragmented FF vote. She would make a good TD if her track record as both a town and county councillor is anything to go by.

And no he wasn't any good as a councillor: its the name. Political dynasties are a disgrace: why should you be any good as a TD or councillor just because your father or grandfather was....

Advertisement