Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cyning wrote: »
    Because they didn't care once he was getting elected. Simple as. Local cumanns are píssed at him. Local people are sick of him.

Norma Foley would have been a great running mate, but they were too scared I think of spliting the already very fragmented FF vote. She would make a good TD if her track record as both a town and county councillor is anything to go by.

And no he wasn't any good as a councillor: its the name. Political dynasties are a disgrace: why should you be any good as a TD or councillor just because your father or grandfather was....

That's a damning indictment of FF's attitude towards North Kerry, not to mention their own selection process.

Based on what he hasn't done for the constituency, he should get zero votes. Maybe none of his line were any good as politicians, but the first one just happened to be in the right place at the right time when the civil war ended.

No wonder we're in a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some dodgy dealings going on.

Wonder who this refers to?:rolleyes:

Heard stories about similiar shenanigans from this particular political faction before. Disgraceful carry-on.

18 Feb 2011
    Allegation of attempted voter fraud made to Castleisland Gardai

An allegation of attempted voter fraud has been made to Gardai in Castleisland.
    87-year-old Pat O'Mahony says a woman who claimed to be campaigning for a General Election candidate called to his house on Wednesday and said she was there to collect his postal vote.
    If you are registered as a postal voter, you may only vote by post only.
    Castleisland Gardai say they are aware an allegation has been made but have not yet received an official complaint in writing.
    Mr O'Mahony says the woman also asked whether he would vote for a particular candidate.
    County Registrar refers alleged attempt to interfere with postal vote to Gardai

The official who oversees elections in Kerry says he's referred a complaint alleging attempted voter fraud to the Gardai.
    The county registrar Padraig Burke says he's received a claim that there was an attempt to interfere with the postal voting process.
    87-year-old Pat O'Mahony from Castleisland says a woman who claimed to be campaigning for a General Election candidate called to his house and tried to collect his postal vote. The woman is NOT an election candidate.
    Fianna Fail candidate, Deputy John O'Donoghue, says it's vital the authorities investigate the matter thoroughly.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Some dodgy dealings going on.

Wonder who this refers to?:rolleyes:

Heard stories about similiar shenanigans from this particular political faction before. Disgraceful carry-on.

Whoever they are, they obviously can't afford a bribe, the tight-fisted feckers.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whoever they are, they obviously can't afford a bribe, the tight-fisted feckers.

I think they could afford it if they wanted to.;)

I think they could afford it if they wanted to.;)

Not worth voting for them if they're not going to give some away. It's a pity that we probably won't officially know who they are before the election, so that we can cross them off our list.

• Advertisement

Not worth voting for them if they're not going to give some away. It's a pity that we probably won't officially know who they are before the election, so that we can cross them off our list.

In fairness I think anyone with a clue knows you is involved in this but yeah a pity there won't be official confirmation for those deluded enough to consider voting in that direction.

In fairness I think anyone with a clue knows you is involved in this but yeah a pity there won't be official confirmation for those deluded enough to consider voting in that direction.

I'm innocent, I tell ya:P

I'm innocent, I tell ya:P

Pull the other one :p

I'd say the candidate in question could be afraid that this could just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of people coming forward in terms of making complaints offical, given the number of stories I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i bet the person who canvassed that gentleman, had not told the person she was representing that she was doing this, i am sure they would not agree with that kind of underhanded manouver, and she will not be the one to suffer,if i am wrong and she had been told it was okay to do this, then the candidate should step down, or at least we the public should be made aware of who the candidate in this case is,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Funniest site of the election so far: canvassers for John McKenna (him with the ridiculous watchmyback.ie) putting up posters in Castleisland. He's running in North Kerry West Limerick...

Like seriously... :rolleyes: and he thinks people should vote for him why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

cyning wrote: »
    Funniest site of the election so far: canvassers for John McKenna (him with the ridiculous watchmyback.ie) putting up posters in Castleisland. He's running in North Kerry West Limerick...

Like seriously... :rolleyes: and he thinks people should vote for him why?

If he has the money & time to waste --- let him at it.

dh0661 wrote: »
    If he has the money & time to waste --- let him at it.

I can tell by looking at him that he's got a lot more going for him than McEllistrim. At least he's trying.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Is the McKenna guy a piss-take?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

dapto1 wrote: »
    Is the McKenna guy a piss-take?
    Id love to know, it seems that way doesnt it?:confused:

Id love to know, it seems that way doesnt it?:confused:

We should all give him a 1st preference. He can't be any worse than the other mediocre choices.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We should all give him a 1st preference. He can't be any worse than the other mediocre choices.:(

He doesn't know Castleisland isn't part of his constituency.

He has put posters in road signs which is illegal.

He has no policies at all that I can see except "I'm angry."

I hope he gets fined for littering!!

goat2 wrote: »
    i bet the person who canvassed that gentleman, had not told the person she was representing that she was doing this, i am sure they would not agree with that kind of underhanded manouver, and she will not be the one to suffer,if i am wrong and she had been told it was okay to do this, then the candidate should step down, or at least we the public should be made aware of who the candidate in this case is,
    any one know the candidate, whose canvesser tried to take the voting form from the gentleman who had a postal vote,

Thread on this issue here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185134

Some more videos

"Totally ridiculous"

In terms of strategy (if that's whats behind it) looks to be targeting JOD vote.

"Away with the fairies" "Up on a high horse"

Heaven help us.

Glesson explaining why he has no posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fear na gCrub

Ah Jesus, it's killing me.
    Who's the candidate with the dodgy postal vote collection thing?
    Even a cryptic clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A Kerry South TD is claiming there's widespread intimidation of older people in this election.
    Last week, 87-year-old Pat O'Mahony from Castleisland claimed a woman who called to his home, tried to collect his postal vote and asked him to vote for a particular candidate.
    If you are registered as a postal vote, you may only vote by post.
    The woman, against whom Pat O'Mahony has made the allegations, is NOT an election candidate.
    County registrar Padraig Burke has referred the matter to the Gardai who say they are aware of the allegation.
    Deputy John O'Donoghue says the alleged incident in Castleisland is not isolated.
    The Fianna Fáil TD claims there is widespread intimidation of older people who have the postal vote.
    He says this interference with the voting process is a new low in politics in Kerry South.
    He's called on those involved to stop their intimidation.

what are they saying to intimidate the older generation among us,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

These John McKenna posters are hilarious. Spotted a few around Listowel/Duagh/Abbeyfeale. Doesn't seem to have much substance.

Also, does anyone know what constituency Newcastle West is in? They seem to have different candidate posters around there.

what are they saying to intimidate the older generation among us,

They probably point furiously and say "vote for me you old duffer".

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I don't see the point in some of these fellas putting themselves forward. Surely they know that they have no chance. AFAIK they have to pay a deposit to enter and if they receive less that a certain number of votes, their deposit is refunded. Is this right? It must cost them a lot to post their election cards to every voter in their constituency though, which they wont see a cent back from.

McEllistrim must be happy if he's read this.

FF will have TDs in all constituencies -- Martin
    By Michael Brennan Deputy Political Editor

Thursday February 24 2011

FIANNA Fail leader Micheal Martin is still insisting that there will be no "Fianna Fail-free constituencies" after the general election.
    In an interview with the Irish Independent, he said his party was seeking to get at least one seat in every constituency and two in others.
    "We're not conceding anything, it's a couple of days to go to the election," said Mr Martin.
    And he denied that Fianna Fail would suffer the fate of the Irish Parliamentary Party, which was wiped out at the 1918 General Election.
    "No, I wouldn't think so. The two situations aren't comparable," he said. "Having travelled the country, there's a strong support structure across the country," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/elections/latest-news/ff-will-have-tds-in-all-constituencies-martin-2554032.html

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Going by the boards vote, it looks certain that John O Donoghue will lose his seat in South Kerry and Tom McEllistrim will lose his seat in North Kerry. No Fianna Fail TD's in Kerry. Has this happened before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Adro947 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know what constituency Newcastle West is in? They seem to have different candidate posters around there.

It's in Limerick County. The KyN/LkW constituency ends at Templeglantine on the N21 but then it swings around through Ardagh and touches the N21 again between NwCaswest and Rathkeale.
    Very difficult boundary to follow in that area. :(

But I saw a few MHealyRae ones in the area too --- and its definitely not in Kerry South. :o

it must be people taking them from ther correct location, and putting them up elsewhere for the fun of it

kfk wrote: »
    Going by the boards vote, it looks certain that John O Donoghue will lose his seat in South Kerry and Tom McEllistrim will lose his seat in North Kerry. No Fianna Fail TD's in Kerry. Has this happened before?

there have been huge changes in this country, there are loads of us who were never a day idle, there were not enough hours in the day for us, we have lost our dignity, not used of being unemployed = no money = no dignety= very angry, that is the bottom line, and still there was borrowing done in eurpoe in our name, we gave no one permission to borrow in our name, in my lifetime if i borrowed i knew i could manage paying it back, but with the borrowing that was done in europe in the names of people who are struggling, it was and is wrong

there have been huge changes in this country, there are loads of us who were never a day idle, there were not enough hours in the day for us, we have lost our dignity, not used of being unemployed = no money = no dignety= very angry, that is the bottom line, and still there was borrowing done in eurpoe in our name, we gave no one permission to borrow in our name, in my lifetime if i borrowed i knew i could manage paying it back, but with the borrowing that was done in europe in the names of people who are struggling, it was and is wrong

I think that North Kerry has always been an unemployment black-spot, and wasn't even that good during the boom. That doesn't say an awful lot for the all of the lazy-arsed overpaid politicians in these parts, nor the people selecting them to stand in the first place.

Without any support from the usual suspects, no new kids on the block will ever stand a chance of getting elected, even though they might be the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think that Listowel, for instance, got anything from anyone, not even during the last FG coalition. One of Jimmy Deenihan's old claims to fame on an election pamphlet years ago, mentioned that he saved 100 jobs in Listowel. Creating jobs would have been better, but he saved some. The only problem was that, a short time afterwards, Neodata, where the 100 jobs had been saved, left altogether, and the saved jobs went with them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I've deleted that last post - no call for personal insults in this forum. It inevitably leads to arguments and will not be allowed. Keep it friendly and civil please

Advertisement