Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Did anyone else see the traditional Healy-Rae convoy out of Killarney after yet another victorious election campaign ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

If John McKenna was angry before, he must be RAGING now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dapto1 wrote: »
    If John McKenna was angry before, he must be RAGING now.

It was unfortunate that only 103 people thought that he was the man for the job, but at least he had a go, which is more than can be said for most of us.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It was unfortunate that only 103 people thought that he was the man for the job, but at least he had a go, which is more than can be said for most of us.:(

What worries me is 103 people thought he was the man for the job....

cyning wrote: »
    What worries me is 103 people thought he was the man for the job....

It could be one big angry family, the start of a private army.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the traditional Healy-Rae convoy out of Killarney after yet another victorious election campaign ? :)

Saw it years ago. The Healy Rae cavalcade is some spectacle alright.

I don't think it's going to be equal, more like 11,000 admirers and 4,000,000 who think it's a sick joke.:o

All any TD needs to do is keep the people happy in their own constituency. Screw the rest. They don't count when election time comes.They must be doing something to keep getting the votes.

kfk wrote: »
    All any TD needs to do is keep the people happy in their own constituency. Screw the rest. They don't count when election time comes.They must be doing something to keep getting the votes.

Perhaps the old fogies thought that MHR was canvassing on behalf of his old man, who promised them the earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you should have seen jackie going through the gap of dunloe on horse back, he is really sprightly for his years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

That's the kind of attitude that got this country into a mess.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    you should have seen jackie going through the gap of dunloe on horse back, he is really sprightly for his years

He's probably looking into the possibility of turning it into a 6 lane super-highway, so that he can put some of his businesses to use.

Perhaps the old fogies thought that MHR was canvassing on behalf of his old man, who promised them the earth?

Wouldn't be so sure that they were all old fogies that voted for MHR. He has over 2200 friends on facebook. Most of which are the younger generation I would imagine.

Wouldn't be so sure that they were all old fogies that voted for MHR. He has over 2200 friends on facebook. Most of which are the younger generation I would imagine.

I wonder how many of them live in his constituency?

I read this over on politics.ie yesterday and thought it was hilarious. Most have probably seen it but it is worth sharing for those who haven't.

I personally would like to salute the Healy-Raes for their undaunted courage and tenacity in dealing with the pot-holes of south Kerry. Young Michael will continue the never-ending fight in this arena. I have had the pleasure of seeing rare archival film footage of Michael dealing with what was known locally as 'The Great Pot-Hole of Gearhadiveen' one of these so called 'Black Pot-holes' with a gravitational pull so strong that no matter or energy, not even light itself, can escape. With an audacity and gallantry so great that words fail me this dashing cap-clad young hero dauntlessly approached this monster with shovel after shovel of tar and gravel as Jackie shouted encouragement from behind a hedge in a nearby field. Within minutes this behemoth was filled. To watch him walk back and forth with a shovel in his hands and fill this Goliath was nothing less than poetry itself in motion. This man must be elected to Dail Eireann immediately and then elevated to the stature of the King I know him to be. The HEALY-RAES, I SALUTE YOU.

I read this over on politics.ie yesterday and thought it was hilarious. Most have probably seen it but it is worth sharing for those who haven't.

I personally would like to salute the Healy-Raes for their undaunted courage and tenacity in dealing with the pot-holes of south Kerry. Young Michael will continue the never-ending fight in this arena. I have had the pleasure of seeing rare archival film footage of Michael dealing with what was known locally as 'The Great Pot-Hole of Gearhadiveen' one of these so called 'Black Pot-holes' with a gravitational pull so strong that no matter or energy, not even light itself, can escape. With an audacity and gallantry so great that words fail me this dashing cap-clad young hero dauntlessly approached this monster with shovel after shovel of tar and gravel as Jackie shouted encouragement from behind a hedge in a nearby field. Within minutes this behemoth was filled. To watch him walk back and forth with a shovel in his hands and fill this Goliath was nothing less than poetry itself in motion. This man must be elected to Dail Eireann immediately and then elevated to the stature of the King I know him to be. The HEALY-RAES, I SALUTE YOU.

there will not be any potholes in south kerry from now on

goat2 wrote: »
    there will not be any potholes in south kerry from now on

I understand they're going to be filled with quick-drying bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I understand they're going to be filled with quick-drying bullsh1t.

And there will be more than enough of that to send over the county bounds to Ballyvourney.

I know this isn't anything to do with the General Election, but I ts still relevant I think. As far as I know, Ned O'Sullivan doesn't do an awful lot except waffle (and send out free ties to his chums), and I think we all know that McEllistrim never did anything when he was a TD.

So why do either of these two deserve to be on the gravy-train racking up expenses? We don't need to be throwing good money after bad.

It really is time that the plug was finally pulled on this.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/
    Listowel Senator to seek re-election despite party leader’s preference for younger candidates

Listowel-based Fianna Fail Senator Ned O'Sullivan plans to seek re-election to the Seanad, despite the fact that party leader Michael Martin has written to some of the outgoing Senators, asking them to step down and allow younger candidates to run.
    Senator O'Sullivan, who was elected to the Upper House in 2007, said he is not deterred by the fact that Tom McEllistrim, who lost his Dail seat in Kerry North/West Limerick at the weekend, plans to run for the Senate as well.
    The Senator also believes that incoming Taoiseach Enda Kenny may not fulfil his plan to scrap the Seanad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

At least we in Kerry North can't be blamed for a Healy-Rae getting in. They should build more schools in South Kerry and put politics on the syllabus.:P
    I'd prefer a HR to a shinner any day of the week.

Jul3s wrote: »
    I'd prefer a HR to a shinner any day of the week.

I wouldn't, as I've got standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

KERRY Fianna Fáil TD Tom McEllistrim is back on the election campaign trail a little over an hour after being involved in a car crash at Ballyseedy Cross which resulted in two people being brought to hospital.

The male driver of the VW and a woman who was a front seat passenger in Mr McEllistrim’s car were both taken to hospital and treated for shock, but their injuries were not said to be serious.

It is understood the TD was accompanied at the time by a Canadian national who had worked as an intern in the Dáil and was assigned to Mr McEllistrim’s office to assist him with his election campaign.

ANY IDEA who she is please ????????????? tia

(save me the trouble of trying to contact Tom)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

amadain wrote: »
    KERRY Fianna Fáil TD Tom McEllistrim is back on the election campaign trail a little over an hour after being involved in a car crash at Ballyseedy Cross which resulted in two people being brought to hospital.

The male driver of the VW and a woman who was a front seat passenger in Mr McEllistrim’s car were both taken to hospital and treated for shock, but their injuries were not said to be serious.

It is understood the TD was accompanied at the time by a Canadian national who had worked as an intern in the Dáil and was assigned to Mr McEllistrim’s office to assist him with his election campaign.

ANY IDEA who she is please ????????????? tia

(save me the trouble of trying to contact Tom)

Why do you care who she is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

amadain wrote: »
    a Canadian national who had worked as an intern in the Dáil.

ANY IDEA who she is please ?????????????

On Kerry's eye last week they said she was a former Canadian Rose in '09 and was on work experience from Griffith College - that's as much I can remember.

Have a look HERE Sarah Thorenton is her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Surprised Jimmy Deenihan didnt get Minister for Sport,good few sports clubs around North Kerry were hoping he would get this job

Here we go, South Kerry's famous again.:o

TD who cut salary in half gives out plum jobs to family members

By Fiach Kelly Political Correspondent

Thursday March 31 2011

A NEW Fine Gael TD who promised to take only half his salary has hired two family members as his staff and got another elected to his vacant council seat.
    The Irish Independent has learned that Brendan Griffin has hired his wife Roisin as his secretarial assistant, his cousin Tommy Griffin as his parliamentary assistant and helped another cousin, Matt Griffin, get his old council seat.
    Mr Griffin (29) won a seat in Kerry South, ousting the sitting Fine Gael TD Tom Sheahan. He made the fact that he would give up €46,000 of a TD's €90,000 salary a central plank of his election campaign.
    He officially gave it up last week -- signing a form that allows the Oireachtas to send the money back into the public purse -- and called on other TDs to make a similar gesture.
    However, his family members will earn more than that with their combined salaries.
    "We are not all in it for personal gain," Mr Griffin said last week, when officially handing the money back to the State.
    Without interviewing anyone else, Mr Griffin hired his wife to a job that has a salary of around €25,000 a year and his cousin to a post that pays between €41,092 and €52,200.
    TDs can hire whomever they want for these personal-staff appointments -- with salaries paid by the taxpayer.
    Even though secretarial assistants are paid a basic rate of around €25,000, those hired can apply for a higher salary if they have enough experience.
    Mr Griffin did not know if his wife had applied for a higher salary, but said she had 10 years' administrative experience.
    However, he said she "has been my secretary for the last 10 years, since I became actively involved in politics. She is the best person for the job."
    Mr Griffin also seconded his cousin Matt at a convention held to fill the seat on Kerry County Council that he left behind. Matt Griffin was the only person nominated and now has a council seat which can be worth around €30,000 a year in payments and expenses.
    He said his cousin was also the best "person for the job" who "happens to be my cousin".
    Mr Griffin defended all the appointments and said each family member was the best person for the job.

He added: "I've huge faith in my staff and I know they will do a very good job for me."

keeping it in the family

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

Famous for what exactly?.
    What kind of moron reads this kind of article and believes that it is in anyway newsworthy.
    This is clearly a pathethic attempt to smear the reputation of an honourable TD.

Nothing to see here folks, move on please.

Jul3s wrote: »
    Famous for what exactly?.
    What kind of moron reads this kind of article and believes that it is in anyway newsworthy.
    This is clearly a pathethic attempt to smear the reputation of an honourable TD.

Nothing to see here folks, move on please.

There's always plenty to see here in Nepotism Land, where nepotism is always newsworthy.

• Advertisement

There's always plenty to see here in Nepotism Land, where nepotism is always newsworthy.

does that mean family dynasties,

Advertisement