Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers Opinion of a Graduates Results

Options
  • 25-11-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I would be very intrested to hear of what an employers opinion is on a graduates -Architectural Technology portfolio and final grades are ? I am aware that a college has no real control on how to spot work by a student that isnt there own or there is excessive work by friends/relatives aquaintences to help them complete their work . This in my opinion has vastly inflated grades on students abilities ! what i am intrested to know is what value does an employer have on a first class hons degree and someone who maybe has just passed? (Im neither so its not me).
    thats all a potential employer has to gauge potential employees from when to applyto them for work ?I would imagine the employer only has faith in what he sees produced in front of him in their office ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

In an interview situation, while academic grades are of course important, it is crucial for a candidate to show that they are willing to learn, and able to communicate. While an academic course prepares you to a certain extent for work, your practical learning only begins once you start a job. With the employees I've had, I've always been more interested in developing the knowledge that they have had when they came to work with me in order to achieve the best results for my clients, and in many ways the most important thing for me was that I felt that they could grasp what I wanted from them and produce the goods on time and without hassle. You can realy only guage this in an 'on the job' situation.

In my opinion, while a first or second class honour of course looks better than a basic pass on your CV, I would be less inclined to make as big a distinction between those 2 grades. The difference between firsts and seconds is what, 10% ? Taking into account the modular nature of most courses now, one poor subject could easily make the difference between 60% and 70%. I've seen this happen with people who were very good technically, but fell down on more 'conceptual' topics and suffered in their overall mark accordingly.

In addition, most employer's will implement a trial or probation period at the outset. This is when the employer's assessment of an employee really takes place - how will they work in an office environment, under pressure, with deadlines to meet and clients to deal with ?

When I started work (in the last recession ) I worked on a trial basis for 6 months first and then had a review before I was made permanent. This was a massive learning experience for me, and even if I had been let go after that inital period, it is something I would have taken with me and built on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

As someone who has interviewed potential staff I can say it may well help to lift a candidate into a shortlist . Relevant experience of a candidate for the tasks that you the employer need fulfilled at the time gets you onto the list faster though . Once at interview the more you can impress that you can perform the required tasks well - the better your chances of success .

My old practice used to place new staff on 3 month probation initially - and extended interview if you like .

So whatever you have to offer - willingness to get the job done trumps all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think these days one of the best things is relevant experience, I think after that the grade on your degree is pretty important. For a graduate its crucial these days, as places are getting hundreds of CV's and its not unheard of for companies to just take the high grade ones and ditch the rest.

The very best way to get a job though is through people in my opinion, building contacts through family, friends or through a colleague you meet during work experience etc. Its how most people I know who graduated recently got work.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

I have a 2.1 Honours Degree so its ok I hope. i have 15 yrs management/construction experience before i started college course. I dont have actual drawing office experience.

i have provided a link to my portfolio. have a look and give me your impressions of it ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

All been equal, the first thing I would look at is not the qualification in terms of results but where the award was gained.( ie the collage). Certainly my experience of students and that I've heard of from others in recent years from one collage offering architectural technology would mean that I would not rank their students on the top of my list of potential candidates.

Experience be it only a few months, would certainly carry more weight than a first class honours degree over a pass award.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I have a 2.1 Honours Degree so its ok I hope. i have 15 yrs management/construction experience before i started college course. I dont have actual drawing office experience.

i have provided a link to my portfolio. have a look and give me your impressions of it ?:confused:

bm - don't defeat yourself before you start out . You clearly have a lot to offer so tune in to whatever a prospective employer needs - and then match that need . I have no doubt will you will land on your feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Speaking as somebody who was a graduate much more recently than most others here, Grades are really all that important, there is a huge difference between the student who knows his stuff and passes easily, and the student who is less knowledgable but puts more effort in. You know the type, put in far more hours than everyone else to everything. His is all good in college, but diesn't apply in the office scenerio.

Being able to carry yourself well in an interview is far more important for a graduate imo.

Portfolio & Website

This is my link.

Thanks for all the replies so far
    I spent my time in college taking on the most difficult details. Its the best way to learn.
    The thought and development process of technical problems is where my strengths and interests lie, as it should for my career as a technologist/technician. It is a fascinating career choice for me and I have enjoyed every bit of it so far. That's what keeps you going when you're doing 12 to 16 hour days. Those have finished for now anyway !

I will keep working away at job searching and training to increase knowledge for new building methods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Having worked in several offices with numerous people with all sorts of qualifications I would say that experience is far more important than any qualification, the more experience you can show the better!, I got my first job way back in the early 90's because I had done a little CAD course that was run after hours in the college and my first boss was computer mad at the time, he hardly looked at my portfolio at all. You need to be able to show that you have lots of abilities and can do a large and varied workload, after all the employer is only insterested in your ability to produce quality work on time so they can make money on you and then they can afford to pay you.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Supertech wrote: »
    In an interview situation, while academic grades are of course important, it is crucial for a candidate to show that they are willing to learn, and able to communicate. While an academic course prepares you to a certain extent for work, your practical learning only begins once you start a job. With the employees I've had, I've always been more interested in developing the knowledge that they have had when they came to work with me in order to achieve the best results for my clients, and in many ways the most important thing for me was that I felt that they could grasp what I wanted from them and produce the goods on time and without hassle. You can realy only guage this in an 'on the job' situation.

I think this says it all really as far as I'm concerned. I have never taken on anyone who had completed their courses. I much prefer to get the students early on in First of Second year and work with them from there. We get involved in the students overall development and give them a practicle backdrop for their studies. It has always served us well.

• Advertisement

Poor Uncle Tom

that would be an ideal situation to have had the office experience during the summer months to backup college training. I worked with a architect for summer months of first year. It was a very poor experience on my behalf because.... most of the time he was away playing golf and plus he kept changing his mind all the time..... lol . For a man that told me he had no time to look at a tv programme or anything......... i never seen him doinig much......in the office anyway. if you were busy i think you would be in early in the morning and not arrive in at 11 am. He actually lived in the same yard as the office :confused:

i am sort of in no mans land at the moment. I need to find employment to start progressing POP records for CIAT membership. It has been mentioned to me about setting up on my own but i dont really think this is an option ?

what would be the issues with doing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

and plus he kept changing his mind all the time

I think you'll find this is the norm with architects :D

If you set up on your own, from my limited knowledge of the CIAT routes to membership, you'll end up following the Profile Route.

In an ideal world, it would be better to have some experience in an established office, but you're in the same boat as a lot of people at the moment in that there's feck all happening out there. Having said that, the contract route might be a way to go, where you provide contract services to architectural or engineering practices until something permanent comes along. I'm fairly sure that sort of work will go some way towards completing some elements of your POP Record, plus yopu might even manage to get paid. The attraction for prospective employer's is that there'no ties, so that they use your services as and whenthey need them. Stick and advert in the local paper, or some relevant websites, plus the best method of all - shoe leather - call in to the offices in your area (and beyond) and explain to them what you're about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I would say hang in there for the time being and make yourself known to as many architects and arch techs out there as you can. It won't stay this dormant forever.....:)

Thanks for all the replies its good to have views of people out there in the real world that can tell you as it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for all the replies its good to have views of people out there in the real world that can tell you as it is !

The real world???

Screw that, i'm staying here on boards.ie where its safe...

Depends what section you're posting in ! Arch Tech section very informitive and helpful replies. Thanks Again

Advertisement