Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd Puppy Training

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Hi everyone,

Some bad news :(

Sadly my puppy died last week. She had been poisoned.
    The vet thinks she ate a rat/ mouse that had eaten the poison.
    Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

How awful, poor puppy:(

I have no experience of this, thank God but I would bevery very mad if it happened any of mine.

An awful thing to happen and just before Xmas too, very sory for you Kaylami

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OMG thats terrible news about the poor puppy :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Kaylami, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Sadly it's not uncommon for a dog to be poisoned - either accidentally or deliberately. Poisoning from rat bait is very difficult to treat - it causes massive haemhorraging in the dog, and the usual treatment is injections of vitamin K and complete bed rest nearing the point of forced immobility. The same elements that make the bait tasty to rodents also makes it interesting to dogs, so your pup could have gotten hold of a dead rat or mouse, or just as easily gotten hold of bait itself, out on a walk, near a waterway, or if your neighbours put down rodent bait near your property boundaries.

Bait poisoning can work very quickly and in a young dog it can be almost impossible to reverse. It's a really horrible thing to happen to you, not least so near Christmas. Sympathies to you and yours on the loss of your pup. :(

Advertisement