Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP not talking to router

• 25-11-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Having a fun day of comms issues. Following the earlier failure of my normal modem, I've got an old Aolynk DR814 which is working fine from my laptop (Vista) but not from the desktop XP.

I've swapped around various cables and ports on the router to confirm that they all work with the laptop, so the problem is something to do with the desktop.

On the 'networking' tab on task manager, the local area connection status changes from 'not connected' to 'connected' when I plug it into the router, so it's definitely recognising it's connected. The 'active' light on the router flickers, as does the light beside the network port on the PC. So there's definitely stuff passing between them.

Any attempt to browse to 192.168.1.1 or even to ping it times out.
    So something on the PC is affecting the traffic. I've tried disabling realtime scanning on Microsoft Security Essentials in case that had gone wonky, but no difference.

I'm assuming some kind of malware is doing it - any suggestions on what else I can check?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is your desktop's network connection set to dynamic or static IP addressing?

If you run ipconfig from a Command Prompt what IP address and gateway do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Ha, thanks, just fixed it.
    For a start I had the default gateway set set to 196.128.0.1, changed that to .1.1.

Also had it set to a static IP address and set nameservers, switched it to dynamic and it picked it up OK.

Thanks though

Advertisement