Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with an apartment in Inchicore

Options
  • 25-11-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I have an one bed apartment in Inchicore which is currently being rented out. I bought the place as somewhere to live for myself in 2002 but as time moved on and I started a family I had to rent a house which is what I've been doing for the last few years.

I had the apartment valued and got quite a shock even allowing for how bad it is these days. So now I'm in negative equity, I have to keep renting it out as I couldn't sell it for its current value. Is renting it out going to be my only real option for the next few years?

Comments

Renting out is your only option really unless you take the hit and sell. If you can afford to rent it out I'd be happy to keep doing so if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

think you answered your own question there.... if you can't afford to sell it at current value and prices are likely to drop further your stuck renting imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I just hope rents will stabilise, it's been dropping every time I get new tenants in.

I just hope rents will stabilise, it's been dropping every time I get new tenants in.

Yeah, it's either drop the rent or leave it empty unfortunately. Good value out there now for folks renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

There isn't good value everywhere mind you, at least not in many parts of dublin, and there's even less value of you're renting a place on your own.

• Advertisement

No doubt, I shared a lovely 4 bed detached house in Galway last year, the rent was €950 ish I think. 8 years ago I shared a 4 bed semi d in Clondalkin that was €1250.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if you can keep it rented, i would hold on to it

you never know in 20 years it might be worth something or the kids can use it as a crash pad when they go to college:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

irishbird wrote: »
    if you can keep it rented, i would hold on to it

you never know in 20 years it might be worth something or the kids can use it as a crash pad when they go to college:)

Well, the new DART line is scheduled to stop at Inchicore around 2018 so I suppose I'll have to hang on until then at least. Oh, wait....I've just heard Ireland is getting an interest-free bailout and Brian Cowen is on his way to the Aras. :rolleyes:

Advertisement