Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPO closing down tomorrow night (26 Nov)

Options
  • 25-11-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread on this!

Heard rumours on Facebook and found this online. Apparently it was announced on their Facebook page that they'll be closing down tomorrow night after Alex Kidd. Their website seems to have been taken down already which is odd, maybe it just crashed.

Anyone here friends of the GPO on Facebook want to share their announcement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Good riddance. The scangers will probably now move onto Karma and the circle of life shall continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

bulldoze it and turn it into a carpark, an absolute s**thole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

What will we do without a post office?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where will I buy my stamps now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Jaysus,Alex Kidd...its bookings like that that has finished them.
    Never liked the gpo myself,**** layout for a club playing tunes.
    Not to mention the current owners/managers know nothing about how a club should sound,last time i was there,june 2009 for super8 & tab,the bassbins werent turned on until 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It was a class Venue in the 90's with all the sh1te-nights and promotions...Really went down hill after those days.

Maybe something good will rise form the Ashes.. who 'Kno Kno's' ? hehe

ah no... 2 years of college spent in that place.. yea it's a shlthole but it's our shltehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Its still open!!! Jesus I thought that place had closed ages ago. Had some great nights in it back in the mid 90's during college (the orange PO van/DJ box:D) but it went down hill seriously in the 2000's

Meh can't say I'll miss it. Galway still has plenty of other places that will make you queue in the cold and rain, charge you 10-20 quid just to walk in, another fiver to hang up your coat and plenty more to throw out watered down spirits or pints of pi$$water for a small fortune. I'd be surprised if there were many nightclubs left at all in another 10 years. Gimme a good pub with a late license and music any time over them. (God I'm getting old....)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

It was a class Venue in the 90's with all the sh1te-nights and promotions...Really went down hill after those days.

Maybe something good will rise form the Ashes.. who 'Kno Kno's' ? hehe

The good aul days with the straw on the floor and the old postvan dj box...cant be beat

***Are you in my head fozzie? :0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Remember the establishment that was there before the GPO? I think it was called the Lion's Tower or something like that. It was really dingy and it creeped me out a little as a child. So I wouldn't hold my breath for something good to rise from the ashes if the GPO was what rose from that place :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I had some great nights in there from 97 - 2000, Essence really was the bomb back in the day, can still remember the night I first heard most of the massive trance classics of that era, thanks to dj Ted for that :) turbo mitsubishi's, elephants, microdots, the whole place rammed full of the best heads givin it socks completely twisted on yolks!! oi oi!! :))

sadly went down hill in later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

foto joe wrote: »
    Surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread on this!

Heard rumours on Facebook and found this online. Apparently it was announced on their Facebook page that they'll be closing down tomorrow night after Alex Kidd. Their website seems to have been taken down already which is odd, maybe it just crashed.

Anyone here friends of the GPO on Facebook want to share their announcement?

http://www.gpo.ie/ is back up and running with nothing in the news section. Is there anything other than the Facebook page? any news paper pick it up? or any staff members on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

GPO - Monday of RAG week - FOAM PARTY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Hopefully they bring in a proper club, a new decent club in galway would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

It was class during the nineties. Going in steamed and then wolfing down the chile con carne that would burn the ring off you the following day.

Happy memories.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Anything more than a rumour here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

closingpartygpoplanetlo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Its most likely a lease change rather than a closing down.
    Management/marketers etc. will do anything for publicity. Boards, I thought ye were smarter than that ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Management/marketers etc. will do anything for publicity. Boards, I thought ye were smarter than that ffs!!
    They went into Administration earlier on in the year so Im pretty sure it isn't a marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Dman001 wrote: »
    They went into Administration earlier on in the year so Im pretty sure it isn't a marketing ploy.
    The company that holds the lease on the place went into administration, so JohnCleary is probably completely right.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »

It's more of a case of wanting to believe in something. This was the first bit of good news in a while. Thanks for bursting the bubble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

From what i heard (from a staff member) The bank took it over... gave it to some wannabe (whose father owns some nightclubs in England.. not sure about that) he wanted to change it into another cps.. Didn't work!! So bank apparently have pulled the plug after giving him some months to get it up and running again.

They tried to change the dress code, every week it was something different.. I know someone who was stopped at the door because of the kind of jacket they were wearing ffs!!!

GPO would be a great place if it was run right! Like back in the 90's! GPO was always the place to go if you wanted to "dance" to good dance music. It was the only place in Galway to do that... everywhere else is chart stuff!

It really would be a great place if the right people got in there and got some good dj's in there! In fairness it was the only place in Galway that played good dance music!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I assume it will be replaced by another nightclub. I know there's a good few in Galway but there's no shortage of punters. Everyone likes to be miserable about the recession but there's still a **** load of students going out 2-3 nights a week spending their parents money.

Galway really needs a good dance themed club. You already have Cuba and the Roisin for 'alternative' music for long haired folk, and Coyotes, CPs and Karma for girls music (the latter 2 being the most guilty). I don't see why nobody takes advantage of this niche. I suppose there's the stigma of knackers and drugs attached to it (not that drugs need to be a problem) but regardless it should do well.

Never understood why their good bookings were only ever on the weekends. I suppose not many students would pay €20 or whatever to go in on a Weds.

One of GPO's main things they had going for them was reasonable bouncers, but that completely changed this year and I'm glad it's hurt them.

Not every student lives on their parents money. I paid for myself through college and so have the vast majority of students I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Not every student lives on their parents money. I paid for myself through college and so have the vast majority of students I know.
    Good for you, not really the point of my post really.

I paid my way and know very few that did. Most either got grants or parents money or both. Good for you though. Twill build character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

1916 again! The mob is on its way!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

I heard before when it went in administration that is owed 5 million and is now owned by ulster bank. I read this information on this forum ages ago so you might be able to dig up the post.

Also does anyone know the name of this wannabe? Just wondering who banks are going to let take over it next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I know the name of this wannabe but im not going to post it here,no point.
    As far as his father 'owning' nightclubs in england,that i dont know about.
    they are involved in Sound & Light rentals in Galway and Ballina for years.

Tbh if anyone with half a clue on how to run a club would have done alright with the Gpo.they booked ****e acts repeatidly,the SAME ****e acts over and over again even the 'ard dance crew got sick of paying €20 for alex kidd etc.
    The fact that as a club the interior and layout is awful.
    Needs to be gutted and started again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

evoke wrote: »
    Just wondering who banks are going to let take over it next.

Would make a handy sorting office for the post office, save 11km walks out the Tuam road! :rolleyes:

Advertisement