Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPO closing down tomorrow night (26 Nov)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Won't be missed by me anyways. Scangers always trying to start on me and steal my shoes. Even if it made into a new club it'll always have the same gang there so what's the point. Knock it down. As someone else said Galway really is missing a good dance club. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

nisior wrote: »
    Won't be missed by me anyways. Scangers always trying to start on me and steal my shoes. Even if it made into a new club it'll always have the same gang there so what's the point. Knock it down. As someone else said Galway really is missing a good dance club. :(

The problem with a good dance club is a lot of people aren't drinking too much so it's more difficult to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

According to the security that were there, it's to be opened again in February under a different name and different owner. :rolleyes:

I agree about the previous owner, an absolute chancer to say the least. Thought he was the s**t. Serious attitude problem.

I guess its just another waiting game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

fend wrote: »
    According to the security that were there, it's to be opened again in February under a different name and different owner
    Just in time for Rag Week :)

Didn't GPO have like, 2 renovations in the past 6 months or so? Their last one was literally about a month ago - why bother if they were winding down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I assume it will be replaced by another nightclub. I know there's a good few in Galway but there's no shortage of punters. Everyone likes to be miserable about the recession but there's still a **** load of students going out 2-3 nights a week spending their parents money.

Regardless of where they get their money students spend very little really in nightclubs. They drink before they go out, dont go out til half 10 or 11, sneak drink in, might only buy 2 or 3 drinks a night. The town might be packed but theres not as much money being spent as you might think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

thats a fact.crouching tiger hidden naggins all over the place.
    some clubs could do with a bottle bank in the toilets on a thursday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

3 or 4 drinks equalling at least 3.50. 14 euro per person. If a nightclub gets 150 people they are turning around 2100 per night at least.

I don't know if they'd still be in business if that's all they were turning around in fairness....

Plus granted it's been probably a year or so since I was in a club on a week night but the bar is always packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 getthem

Between the cellar , kellys and cuba , galway has had some of the biggest dance names in the world this year.... and some cool raves in nimos!

getthem wrote: »
    Between the cellar , kellys and cuba , galway has had some of the biggest dance names in the world this year.... and some cool raves in nimos!
    It's not exactly a 'rave' though is it. Kelly's is tiny and Cuba bouncers are serious nazis of The Fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

the radisson was the best spot for a decent party in the past 10 years, was mainly clubby trance tho which imo was it's only fault

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 getthem

yeah the cuba bouncers are pretty strict (altho i kind of like that), and kellys is small... does not change the fact that they are doing some really big shows... The gpo was rubbish AND it had power trip bouncers... Turning friends of mine away for wearing hoodies????!!!

getthem wrote: »
    yeah the cuba bouncers are pretty strict (altho i kind of like that), and kellys is small... does not change the fact that they are doing some really big shows... The gpo was rubbish AND it had power trip bouncers... Turning friends of mine away for wearing hoodies????!!!
    To be fair, that was only in the last few months. Before that, one of the best things about GPO was that their bouncers weren't like CPs, Karma, Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Apparently something's happening.

Screenshot-16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Gpo Galway in a relationship with Gpo Gaillimh?

Sounds like a load of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

i really hope for the sake of the space gpo takes up in town that someone right will take this place over and bring in actual club management

somehow i doubt it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I was referring to the "Something's happening..." status update.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I got that. I thought the masturbation comment was necessary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

My mate used to DJ in there the odd time told me that they are going to go all out with the rennovations and re-open in about 6 months with maybe a different name. Place has been an utter dive recently, needs to freshen up, the only good thing that I actually enjoy in the place is talking to people in the alley.

Don't know why GPO still gets pelters for the decor tbh - since they carpetted it and after the last renovation it's been grand.

I just hope to god that it doesn't turn into another CPs/Karma. They are the most (financially) successful clubs in Galway but hopefully someone goes for something different.

Don't know why GPO still gets pelters for the decor tbh - since they carpetted it and after the last renovation it's been grand.

I just hope to god that it doesn't turn into another CPs/Karma. They are the most (financially) successful clubs in Galway but hopefully someone goes for something different.

It's just bland, I agree I don't want another CP's or anything but GPO just reminds me of one of those depressing clubs out in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Sad to say that all the dodgy types from the GPO are now invading the few good venues in Galway.. Just like what happened when the Radisson closed :(

einshteen wrote: »
    Sad to say that all the dodgy types from the GPO are now invading the few good venues in Galway.. Just like what happened when the Radisson closed :(

Yeah def noticed them in Cuba one of the nights. Top floor was business as usual though.

I wasn't sad to see it go, but I think I'm starting to see the numerous benefits its existence had.

Advertisement