Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ó Cuív admits €65m welfare overpayment

• 25-11-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Minister for Social Protection Éamon Ó Cuív has admitted that his Department overpaid customers by at least €65 million last year alone.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

rabble rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

KILL THEM ALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Give their backsides a good thrashing! O_q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Well he didn't fcuking overpay me:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I used to go into the dole office once, get my money, then go outside, put on a fake moustache and go back in as my twin brother. Worked every time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

How do you over pay by 65 million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That money was just resting in my account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Money can get lost in brown envelopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next thread better have a link as backup.

Rumour lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was PMd the link.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1125/ocuive.html

thread reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Obaraten wrote: »
    Is anyone genuinely surprised?

Me. Look... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

biko wrote: »
    I was PMd the link.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1125/ocuive.html

thread reopened.
    It was me. You can all thank me later!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

FREE MONEY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

:eek:

I didn't get my €65 million during one of my dole visits.

Hmmm, might explain how I managed to afford my Bugatti Veyron from just my dole :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Obaraten wrote: »
    Is anyone genuinely surprised?

I'm surprised it wasn't more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Inanimate Carbon Rod.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

"Customers" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Was that him on Joe Duffy saying there wasn't that much welfare fraud and it probably only amounted to two hundred million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Give me just 1,000,000 a year salary and I will dramatically reduce the amount of fraudsters. Granted I may have radical tactics and some people who weren't committing fraud and I merely expected they were would have to go hungry..but eh, can't argue with results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I wonder what the figure for the underpayment i.e. people not being paid according to their entitlementswas this time around. These figures are usually published at the same time, yet there is no mention of them in the media. The last time I saw these figures published the overpayment and underpayment totals were nearly identical.

Call me a cynic but this stinks of government leaking just the information they want so as to divert attention away from themselves when the heat is on.

BTW I hate welfare fraudsters just as much as the next guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    How do you over pay by 65 million?
    Out of what, 15 billion? It wouldn't be too hard.
    diddledum wrote: »
    I wonder what the figure for the underpayment i.e. people not being paid according to their entitlementswas this time around. These figures are usually published at the same time, yet there is no mention of them in the media. The last time I saw these figures published the overpayment and underpayment totals were nearly identical.

Call me a cynic but this stinks of government leaking just the information they want so as to divert attention away from themselves when the heat is on.

BTW I hate welfare fraudsters just as much as the next guy.
    Yup, I know more than one person who thought they were being overpaid, reported it and were told to shut up basically. :pac: I on the other hand have missed a week in each of the last two years when switching what payment I was getting, which shouldn't have happened under their own rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How much last year was paid in child benefit to children living outside of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

People seem to be confusing overpayments resulting from officials b@lls$ng up payment calculations with actual fraud on the part of receipiants.

Dunno about Ireland but In the UK the former is reckoned to cost as much as the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

how much of that is people arriving via ryan air , collecting and departing via ryan air the same day.

Makes me sick how we continue to let people steal our money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Only for the oil industry around the border it would be the only source of income.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dole-tourist-towns-have-more-claims-than-people-1664609.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I think he's just saying this to divert attention off the billions owed in our loan (not a bailout) , whats a few more million at this stage, would be his mindset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Doesn't even vaguely surprise me.

We have the most well-off poor people in the EU in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Advertisement