Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting rendering on exterior walls

• 25-11-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just wondering if this is really cosmetic.
    How much does the paint really protect the rendering ?
    Does it tend to mask as much as it protects?
    The reason it occurs to me is there are areas that are hidden from view and ,being slightly perfectionist (=obsessive?) I feel that they should be painted as well.
    Would I be better of to just ignore those areas and just check the rendering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

wigglet wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is really cosmetic.
    How much does the paint really protect the rendering ?
    Does it tend to mask as much as it protects?
    The reason it occurs to me is there are areas that are hidden from view and ,being slightly perfectionist (=obsessive?) I feel that they should be painted as well.
    Would I be better of to just ignore those areas and just check the rendering?

Protection that would be relevant to the Irish situation is protection from water and I imagine a suitably painted surface won't get as 'wetted' by rain as a bare rendered surface. So yes, protection-by-paint a reasonable conclusion.

If an area is shielded from view then it might also be shielded from driving rain and so wouldn't benef from painted protection. You would be 'obsessive' in wanting to paint surfaces which don't benefit from it and which you can't see.

If an area is shielded from view but not shielded from driving rain then it would benefit from paint protecton as much as unshielded areas in view.

So the question isn't whether it's in view or not. It's whether it's weather shielded or not.

Advertisement