Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melatonin on prescription

Options
  • 25-11-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm in shock - I asked my doc for a prescription for melatonin as it seemed from people's descriptions that it would do something for my problem in getting to sleep.

I got 28 capsules of 2mg Melatonin... and it cost FORTY-FOUR EURO!

Surely this price is incorrect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

I ordered some online last week, 180 1mg tablets for something like 15 euro including postage from the UK. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you much about what they're like. I haven't taken melatonin before either, so I have nothing to compare with. When I receive them I'll post here and let you know if they're any good etc.

Just to warn you, the website I ordered them from (<snip> got terrible reviews when I checked it out, with regards to credit card fraud and orders not being sent, but there were no problems with the items that people received. Many people posted that when they paid with Paypal they had no problems, that's what I did when I ordered and I received a dispatch email the next day, so I'm hoping it will arrive. I know it's kinda risky, but I'm desperate for a good nights sleep, and I ordered them while overtired at about 6am one morning after being awake for 2 days, so I wasn't exactly in the best frame of mind to care whether or not they'd actually arrive. Pure desperation, I'm not normally that careless. After about 10 years of this I'm just **** sick of it.
    I have some undiagnosed sleep disorder (most likely delayed sleep phase syndrome) and my GP refuses to prescribe melatonin for me. He's a proper douchebag.

I can't believe they cost that much to buy here! Talk about extortion! :(
    Man, I ****ing hate the healthcare system in this country.
    I'm kind of glad I haven't been prescribed them, I couldn't afford that at all. Being that close to a potential solution but being unable to afford it would most likely just send me over the edge :/

Do you know much about possible side effects? From what I understand, taking them short term is safe, but for longer than 3 months you might develop side effects like nightmares, headaches, nausea, and irritability. Also, an American friend who takes them told me that you may become dependent on them if you use them long term. Not addiction type dependent, just that your pineal gland will produce less melatonin itself over time if you take it long term.

I'm reluctant to take it without knowing much about it, and not having a medical professional that's able to tell me what I need to know, but I'm just so sick of sleeping at unsociable hours, waking up pissed off and being overtired all the time. It takes its toll after a while, as I'm sure you know yourself.

MOD EDIT:: Posting links to websites for online ordering of prescription drugs is definitely not allowed. Links have been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

My order of melatonin from Biovea arrived today, but I had a better look online and found this website: <snip>

It looks more legit than where I ordered from, so if melatonin does help me sleep I'll order it from there next time. I've read online that synthetic melatonin is safer to take than melatonin that comes from animal tissue. I believe the melaton I ordered is synthetic, but the stuff from <snip> is definitely synthetic, so I'd recommend buying it from there to be on the safe side.

It's dirt cheap on that website too, it's cheap anywhere I've looked online. Buying it on prescription here is just a rip-off, they charge you that much because they can. Typical.

MOD EDIT:: Posting links to websites for online ordering of prescription drugs is definitely not allowed. Links have been removed.

Advertisement