Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bank taking funds from my account without my say so. This is steeling right?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I went into my local Permanent Tsb on tuesday to ask for a custom statement dated back to June 2007. The lady at the customer service desk informed me that it would cost €2.50 per page. I was very surprised at this amount so I asked her if can she find out how many pages my statement would consist of. She told me she couldn't find out until the following morning. I told her I didn't want to order it until I knew how much it would be so she said I'd get a phonecall the next morning to inform me of the total cost.

Wednesday passed and no phonecall came from the bank. I'm just after checking my online statement and wouldn't you know, they went ahead and took the money anyway. €82.50 for a bank statment. Ridiculous.

Am i entitled to my money back? Please someone tell me I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Call them and complain. If what you say above is true, you are entitled to your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭YipYipU

Thanks, it's 100% true. I intend going in first thing in the morning. Not leaving without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its legit.

You should/would have got a statement sent out to you already.

You are asking for extra copies so they are stiffing you with extra charges.

Legal? yes.

Excessive? Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The OP didn't order it, that's the whole point

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I see what your saying but the fact that I told the lady at the desk that I didn't want to order it until I knew the cost. She told me this was ok and went ahead and done it anyway.

I have not yet received the statment btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think you can request statements using the data protection act and it'll cost 6.35.

amcalester wrote: »
    I think you can request statements using the data protection act and it'll cost 6.35.

Thanks amcalester. Where did you get this info if you don't mind me asking? Would like to confirm it. I'm gonna have to have my speech well prepared for my visit to the bank in the morning.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can request information regarding you that the bank hold for €6.36 under the data protection act, but this doesn't include statements. Go to the branch, keep calm, and clearly explain that you asked for a price for the statements and never gave the go ahead for them to be ordered.

Thanks a bunch for for the advice Toots*, and everyone else who replied. I'll be going to the bank tomorrow, I'll keep calm as best I can and hopefully I'll be back good news.

Cheers folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's in their fees brochure.
    https://www.permanenttsb.ie/media/permanenttsb/pdfdocuments/Everyday-bank-account-charges.pdf

I am surprised - I was sure that duplicate statements in ROI were capped at €6.35 maximum across the banks.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Can I ask a more basic question - why on earth does a bank charge for a statement? (A straight database lookup!!!) They've no problem sending me reams and reams of crap about their "services" without charging me for the privelage.

They charge for duplicate statements.

The originals are free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    ... The originals are free.
    The originals are not necessarily free, the cost is included in whatever banks charges are levied against the account.

mathepac wrote: »
    The originals are not necessarily free, the cost is included in whatever banks charges are levied against the account.

Impossible to quantify that - and some people avail of transaction fee banking anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Red Alert wrote: »
    Can I ask a more basic question - why on earth does a bank charge for a statement? (A straight database lookup!!!) They've no problem sending me reams and reams of crap about their "services" without charging me for the privelage.

Perhaps if said customer kept their statements there wouldn't be a problem eh? And by the way "a simple database lookup" requires an employee to look up same, print out said statements and put them in the post. Considering that a customer already gets a statement it's a waste of time and resources. Therefore there most defiantly should be a cost charged to provide that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

If you use 24hr banking you can view 6 months statements on line and print off if you require it. How did you get on op?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Original statements are included on normal accounts. Saying this is levied on account is pointless as most have free banking and if you are getting charged for everyday personal banking then you are a fool these days.

Duplicates cost an arm and a leg but Should just keep the originals. I have my statements tucked away safe as i know the bank will charge me the earth to get them reprinted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

YipYipU wrote: »
    Thanks amcalester. Where did you get this info if you don't mind me asking? Would like to confirm it. I'm gonna have to have my speech well prepared for my visit to the bank in the morning.

How did you get on against these gougers, YipYipU.

Haven't really gotten anywhere yet. I went in on friday morning and explained the situation to customer service. Unfortunately the girl I was dealing with on tuesday was off work until today so they couldn't give me a refund until they spoke to her. So I'm waiting patiently for the phonecall today ( which if tuesday is anything to go by probably won't come).

I will update later if I get the call. If not I shall return to the bank in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

YipYipU wrote: »
    Haven't really gotten anywhere yet. I went in on friday morning and explained the situation to customer service. Unfortunately the girl I was dealing with on tuesday was off work until today so they couldn't give me a refund until they spoke to her. So I'm waiting patiently for the phonecall today ( which if tuesday is anything to go by probably won't come).

I will update later if I get the call. If not I shall return to the bank in the morning.

Hope you get sorted. At the end of the day you wanted a price for the statement and had not committed to ordering them yet so stick to your guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Here's what they will tell us;
    You got the originals posted out to you at no direct cost to you. Additional copys are available online if you require them. If they have to order original copys there is an additional cost such as their search time and postage etc. that you will have to carry.

Now here's the real reason; The most common reason you would need an orignal copy's of a statement is for a mortgage/loan application for another bank and they know this so they screw you on that basis, as they are not getting the business! Another reason is that all the banks are loseing a fortune because of people defaulting on their loans so this is a great way of generating revenue to cover their loss's. By the way all of the banks charge for extra copies of original statements but some charge more than others. Rip off merchants the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

amcalester wrote: »

Nope, not covered.

But it's not a "straight database lookup", someone has to print all the pages, and packages them into a nice bundle and post it to you, take time...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

[
    Now here's the real reason; The most common reason you would need an orignal copy's of a statement is for a mortgage/loan application for another bank and they know this so they screw you on that basis, as they are not getting the business!}

These days, the most common reason people need copies of statements is for a social welfare assessment.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

sarahlulu wrote: »
    [
    Now here's the real reason; The most common reason you would need an orignal copy's of a statement is for a mortgage/loan application for another bank and they know this so they screw you on that basis, as they are not getting the business!}

These days, the most common reason people need copies of statements is for a social welfare assessment.

Or for applying for a Visa.

Kennie1 wrote: »
    Another reason is that all the banks are loseing a fortune because of people defaulting on their loans so this is a great way of generating revenue to cover their loss's.

Did you scrape that one off a barrel?

Jeasus, they'd want to be printing a fair few to cover losses....:rolleyes:

Toots* wrote: »
    Or for applying for a Visa.

Or a GNIB card....
    Or for to rent a house....
    Or for to purchase an Affordable House......

And so on..... :)

I just got a call from the bank manager in Permenant Tsb. I'm getting my refund :D It will take a few days for the money to be returned but I'm getting it back and that's what matters.

Thanks to all for the advice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Congrats. Now ask them for a €5 for being out of order as if you were overdrawn they would charge you €5 for this as your account would be out of order:D

Advertisement