Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

zxr500man wrote: »
    what time does it start and is it from the gpo??
    any ideas for what to rite on plackards??

Usually Id try and be articulate but I think my feelings would be best summed up by

CUNTS!

in large letters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

I posted a thread a couple of hours ago trying to organise a non union affiliated protest today at 6pm outside the dail. The reason it needs to be today is that the agreement is now extremely close to being signed and tomorrow may be too late for protests. However the mods merged my thread into the thread about budget cuts (for some reason that I can't understand), so no one will see my message as it will be lost in a 51 page thread. But my point remains- we should be protesting today at 6pm!

Pity about that. Thing is, you would need to give people time to get to a march - people from down the country would find it hard pressed to get to Dublin in a short space of time. We are short on time and it looks like the bailout will go through on Sunday anyway, so how about a march to let people express their displeasure/disgust at what has happened to the country.
    Because there is a lot of anger at the moment and if it is allowed to fester it could have serious consequences down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

you said the B's are taking our money. that's straightforward enough. it's also straightforward to say that it's not actually them taking our money - it's the **** state of the economy and banks that helped get us here. they're just the messengers - albeit inept in many ways, any politician will have to 'take our money' and that's the point...i dont think it was much of a tangent!

It's a tangent because I was talking about people here bitching at each other instead of actually talking about the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bosco boy wrote: »
    The problem is that the actions of some protestors and vandals lately mean that ministers now have an excuse to have protection, blame violent protestors and not the gardai. How can the commissioner say there's no threat to them! I guess you will always get a certain amount of scumbags in a large crowd of protestors who'll ruin it for everyone and make sure it makes headlines for the wrong reasons and I reckon that's why many decent people will decide to stay at home.

because they implimented the garda drivers when they were not in danger in years gone by. I agree that they will use that excuse now but its not doing them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Bi6N wrote: »
    Me and quite a large number of friends will be going, shame on anyone who sits on their arse while the country gets f**ked

"Get up, stand up... stand up for your rights"

Only united will we solve anything :)

If this isn't you Noelly I'll eat my own face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You should be marching on the Central Bank, and telling Begg to go back to his useless buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

We all have one thing in common folks, whether you're on the dole, working in the private sector or working in the public sector, and that is that we have all just been handed the bill for this and ALL of our living standards are going to drop very substantially, all due to this insane bill.

I don't know how the rest of you are feeling about this but to me it seems completely uncivilised and almost unhuman to be going backwards with a society instead of forwards, to be tolerating living standards dropping instead of rising, life expectancy falling instead of rising, standards of education to be falling instead of rising, incomes falling instead of rising, families falling into poverty instead of improving their positions...

Last time I looked we were human and not some colony of chimpanzees who will sit in a puddle of p*ss for ten generations and not know any better, so as for protesting, I'm in...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't know how the rest of you are feeling about this but to me it seems completely uncivilised and almost unhuman to be going backwards with a society instead of forwards, to be tolerating living standards dropping instead of rising, life expectancy falling instead of rising, standards of education to be falling instead of rising, incomes falling instead of rising, families falling into poverty instead of improving their positions...

It's been happening since time began :confused: I am not sure why there are so many people who believe we are somehow/or should be immune from this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My take on protests and revolutions has always been pretty well summed up by this four piece.

I wanna see the plan, before we burn anything down. I want to see more than just unguided if understandable anger and I really don't want to see that anger hijacked by those we should be just as angry with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

what time does it start and is it from the gpo??

IMF

Oppression - Austerity - Control.

World Tour

Zaire 1980
    Romania 1982
    Russia 1992
    Indonesia 1997
    Brazil 1999
    Argentina 2001
    Latvia 2010
    Greece 2010
    Ireland 2010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

NO TO EDUCATION CUTS!

prinz wrote: »
    It's been happening since time began :confused: I am not sure why there are so many people who believe we are somehow/or should be immune from this.

Where has it been happening in civilised society??? How come in Germany they can manage to use their economy to deliver long term stable growth??? It's not that hard, when our economy took off, rather than protect the growth as something that we wanted to preserve as a long term attribute of our economy, and reinforce the common good, our government decided to use it as a mechanism to get elected back into government, by taking huge donations off builders that they were in return legislating for, with tax breaks, etc, and using those donations to fund two huge PR campaigns that swung two elections...

You might call that normal or in the national interest, but I don't. What happened was pure selfish greed.

The cause of the problem here is one of expectation, "ah sure wreck the place, I don't give a f*ck, whatever"...

My take on this is "wreck the place, and I now have a beef with that"...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zxr500man

guys can any one tell me a time and place for the protest tomorow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

guys can any one tell me a time and place for the protest tomorow??

11.30am Wood Quay

ye should stop arguing lads and pull together.
    unite!!!take these ***** down!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I have to say that some of the comments here show up a very nervous and to be honest a fairly pathethic underbelly to the Irish people, with this whole, "I'm not going there will be trouble at it"... So what if there is trouble at it, if you're not causing trouble at it then you are entitled to be there.

The folks who died for this country not just in 1916 but back in 1798, they must be kicking their coffins around graveyards in the country at this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

I have to say that some of the comments here show up a very nervous and to be honest a fairly pathethic underbelly to the Irish people, with this whole, "I'm not going there will be trouble at it"... So what if there is trouble at it, if you're not causing trouble at it then you are entitled to be there.

The folks who died for this country not just in 1916 but back in 1798, they must be kicking their coffins around graveyards in the country at this...

Very well said. It's a shame people aren't going just because the unions are organizing or because they don't want anything to do with violence.

The more regular folk there the less notice will be taken of those lot :)

graceanseo wrote: »
    Very well said. It's a shame people aren't going just because the unions are organizing or because they don't want anything to do with violence.

The more regular folk there the less notice will be taken of those lot :)

How come in other countries when people get violent, it's just accepted as a natural reflection of how angry the people are in that country, and I still do not accept that violence is ever required to sort out any issue, but when it happens here on what is usually a tiny scale, a completely different construction is placed on the violence with people involved being labelled scumbags, etc??? How come when it happens abroad there is no sense that the people engaged in violence are scumbags, etc???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think you're missing the point by a country mile. Most are not going because their may be trouble at it, more because of many of those behind this march. Either because they don't agree with their nuttier than squirrel shít manifestos(I'm looking squarely at the United Left Alliance on this one, with a side order of SF) or they don't like associating with leaders of trades unions that have short memories, shorter fuses, some serious explaining to do and were as much a part of the downfall of our economy as the muppets in the banks and government. One of these union leaders was a director of the Irish Central bank all the way through this mess FFS, yet now is calling for others heads to roll? That's a neck as hard as a jockeys bollocks.
    And why oh why are these guys wheeled out at every opportunity by all bloody sides? I'd say they're spinning at that irony as much as any other

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

I've tried to accept those people who consider themselves too 'holy' or 'reserved' to march tomorrow but all to no avail. I just can't get the fact around my head why these people class standing up for what is right as an undignified thing to do...

How everyone in this country is not foaming at the mouth in absolute FURY is beyond me!

As Irish citizens, we have a Constitutional right that can only be put forth by Fianna Fail to call a referdendum and put this crucial question to the people of this country - and that is, do we accept this bailout, as people, as a whole. They have not called this referendum because they know the outcome.

There IS ANOTHER WAY!

While Europe is on its knees begging us to cut these gamblers loose, our politicians (who've took a responsibility to protect and serve the Irish people), are crippling your unborn grandchildren by demanding to them, without remorse, to pay a debt they had no hand in creating.

If you gambled 20,000Euro on a football game and lost it all, is it the responsibility of the Irish people to pay you back....NO! Yet, these foreign business men knew the risk they were taking - they gambled and it didnt pay off. They lost it and its not our responsibility to give them back their money - its asburd, yet this is Ireland - and the corrupt politicians WILL MAKE US PAY!

People who sit back are the very people who think something like this could never happen - that its some kind of make believe, scaremongering, whathaveyou...but its reality, you are living through history - its all happening in front of our very eyes - THIS IS REAL!

It is something your grandchildren will ask you about down the road in life - the day Ireland handed over its soverignty for a few measly billion. Fitting, I suppose, as these would be the very people throwing rotten fruit at the rebels in 1916 when they were led out from the GPO, lined up against a wall and killed.

Collins and Pearce would turn in their grave.

STAND UP AND TAKE IRELAND BACK!

exactly,every one should turn up,good bad or indifferent!
    stand as 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

How come in other countries when people get violent, it's just accepted as a natural reflection of how angry the people are in that country, and I still do not accept that violence is ever required to sort out any issue, but when it happens here on what is usually a tiny scale, a completely different construction is placed on the violence with people involved being labelled scumbags, etc??? How come when it happens abroad there is no sense that the people engaged in violence are scumbags, etc???

Eh, in France when there is violence at protests the perpetrators are very much labelled as scumbags. The difference is that you get thousands and thousands of people protesting peacefully and only a couple of dodgy incidents, usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

As Irish citizens, we have a Constitutional right that can only be put forth by Fianna Fail to call a referdendum and put this crucial question to the people of this country

Which article of the constitution are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Me hole I'm going to some march on a saturday!! :D

I guarantee this protest will achieve nothing. But off you go into the freezing cold if you want!

"Hurr rise up HURR Nineteen sixteen HURRRRRR"

Get off it. I'm playing Left 4 Dead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

tempted to leave the Anon protest to rickroll Jim Corr.

I've tried to accept those people who consider themselves too 'holy' or 'reserved' to march tomorrow but all to no avail. I just can't get the fact around my head why these people class standing up for what is right as an undignified thing to do...
    Absolutely nothing to do with any of those descriptions you give. Nothing to do with it being undignified. Or Holy. Or reserved. But y'know keep those blinkers on.

It's do to with many of those at the vanguard of this march, who are either dubious or equally complicit in the downfall of this country. In one case it's almost comparable with marching behind one of the bankers.
    How everyone in this country is not foaming at the mouth in absolute FURY is beyond me!
    We are. Well not foaming at the mouth. That's utterly utterly pointless. Not unless there are brains behind the anger. I'm seeing little of that so far, beyond letting off steam. Hey I'm down with letting of steam and being seen to do so but lets not paint this as any sort of green revolution folks.
    As Irish citizens, we have a Constitutional right that can only be put forth by Fianna Fail to call a referdendum and put this crucial question to the people of this country - and that is, do we accept this bailout, as people, as a whole. They have not called this referendum because they know the outcome.
    Can you cite the article in particular?
    There IS ANOTHER WAY!
    OK I'm listening.
    While Europe is on its knees begging us to cut these gamblers loose, our politicians (who've took a responsibility to protect and serve the Irish people), are crippling your unborn grandchildren by demanding to them, without remorse, to pay a debt they had no hand in creating.
    Mostly true, but don't forget a helluva lot of ordinary Irish people thought they were George Soros or Donny Trump with their rampant investments. The simple fact is the housing boom couldn't have happened if people weren't asking for 100% mortgages and then refinancing to buy Mercs and apartments in Marbella(usually pronounced Marb.ell ahh).
    If you gambled 20,000Euro on a football game and lost it all, is it the responsibility of the Irish people to pay you back....NO! Yet, these foreign business men knew the risk they were taking - they gambled and it didnt pay off. They lost it and its not our responsibility to give them back their money - its asburd, yet this is Ireland - and the corrupt politicians WILL MAKE US PAY!
    Yes I agree, but its not as simple as that. I wish it was but have a read of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_bond Watch this country go around the U bend if we defaulted on that.
    People who sit back are the very people who think something like this could never happen - that its some kind of make believe, scaremongering, whathaveyou...but its reality, you are living through history - its all happening in front of our very eyes - THIS IS REAL!
    LOUD VOICES! saying little.
    It is something your grandchildren will ask you about down the road in life - the day Ireland handed over its soverignty for a few measly billion.
    Sovereignty is not an either or situation. Rarely has been throughout history. Our sovereignty has come and gone on many fronts. Long before today. Mostly gone when we engaged fully with the EU(less so with the EEC). Often for good(remember the huge funds Europe threw at us to build infrastructure?), but with the smooth came the rough.
    Fitting, I suppose, as these would be the very people throwing rotten fruit at the rebels in 1916 when they were led out from the GPO, lined up against a wall and killed.
    Emotive indeed. Though short memories being what they are, there were quite a few throwing rotten fruit at the time. With the amount of people's great grandparents lining up to fight in the GPO the queue would have stretched to Fairview. But it didn't.
    Collins and Pearce would turn in their grave.
    Well they might, but maybe for slightly different reasons than people think.
    STAND UP AND TAKE IRELAND BACK!
    Again LOUD NOISES! saying nothing.

OK then here's Ireland back in your hands. So what next then? Go on, give me your plan. Show me and others how you would do things differently. Give us the PLAN with equally loud vigour. That parts not so easy is it?

Otherwise you're coming across as someone who just wants to see it all burn. And that's another one of the reasons I'll not go along with this march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

The Guards have released a statement saying they are on ''full alert''.

Meaning - we'll beat the **** out of anyone who attempts to walk to Leainster House. Fitting that they were not on full alert when the country was being hijacked by corrupt politicians.

Everyone glances at Burma and weeps - strange how the act of protesting is almost undemocratic in Ireland these days. :rolleyes:

No doubt these useless critters will try to provoke the crowd - all it will take is one elderly women being knocked to the ground and all hell will break loose.
    There is one thing the french learned long ago. When a people, together, rise up, the police are utterly and conclusively powerless and thats a fact. Look at what happened in London earlier this week - laughable really when you consider that a bunch of teenage students could do a better job than our adults at actually giving a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's with everyone trying to justify their reasoning for attending/avoiding tomorrows protest? Who gives a shit? Do what you feel is right and stop bickering over it. Personally, i won't be going, I've other things on. But ffs, so what if a percentage of those demonstrating are pro-union or lefties? The main point of the protest as far as I can gather is to display the unity of those attending and to show that they are not happy with the state of the nation. I don't think there's any need to get hung up on the details of why each individual person or group is there. The overall sentiment should transcend those individualist ideals.

Advertisement