Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Wibbs wrote: »

OK then here's Ireland back in your hands. So what next then? Go on, give me your plan. Show me and others how you would do things differently. Give us the PLAN with equally loud vigour. That parts not so easy is it?

Surely there are times when situations become so grave that the need to plan beyond the initial change is negated by the very urgent need for change regardless.

FF are a zombie government they have no right nor will to lead anymore, and that is reason enough for me to march to demand change!

Do I think my voice will be listened to, No.
    Do I agree with all of the speakers, No.
    Do I really need to agree with the speakers, No not really this march has grown from its original purpose, into an opportunity for peoples voices to be heard merely through their presence.

Will it change anything, probably not, but in some situations even if the outcome seems destined to fail.
    You still have to try anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Guards have released a statement saying they are on ''full alert''.
    Well duh, of course they are. It's their job.
    Meaning - we'll beat the **** out of anyone who attempts to walk to Leainster House.
    Eh no. They may lay into those trying to get into Leinster house, but again that's their job. BTW you do know no one of political import is likely to be there tomorrow? Thinking otherwise is like trying to stickup a bank when its shut.
    Fitting that they were not on full alert when the country was being hijacked by corrupt politicians.
    Jesus this stuff gets better. And how pray tell could they have exercised their roll in the legal framework of this state in such an instance?
    Everyone glances at Burma and weeps - strange how the act of protesting is almost undemocratic in Ireland these days. :rolleyes:
    And again emotive guff that actually means bugger all. You're comparing us to Burma now. Oh god. :pac:
    No doubt these useless critters will try to provoke the crowd - all it will take is one elderly women being knocked to the ground and all hell will break loose.
    Oh now this gets even better. The emotive guff that keeps on giving. Critters? Are you from Arkansas? Anyway I do love how you've got them beating an "elderly woman to the ground". Priceless.

Look if any trouble kicks off it will be the usual rabble rousers at the front looking for their bloodied mush in the papers and if it kicks off enough others will be dragged into it. But before you paint irish cops as judge Dredd caricatures look to other countries riot police and their actions and heavy handedness. Trust me none of your self appointed Working class hero extreme leftists would stand a snowball in hells chance against the French(or Greek, or German, or Spanish) riot police.
    There is one thing the french learned long ago. When a people, together, rise up, the police are utterly and conclusively powerless and thats a fact.
    With respect you really need to read more.
    Look at what happened in London earlier this week - laughable really when you consider that a bunch of teenage students could do a better job than our adults at actually giving a damn.
    and what did they gain? Oh yea that's right. Nothing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm in two minds about this...

Firstly I really want to go and voice my outrage. I do feel that as a country we need to band together and tell our government that we want nothing to do with them or the debt that they've forced on us. I disagree with so much that the government is planning and I want to voice that.

However, I disagree strongly with the trade unions and I don't want to be assosciated with them (or Éirigí and SFers if they gatecrash and fcuk everything up). I'm all too aware that somewhere along the way violence will break out and probably completely undermine the protest. The current government will also completely ignore us - they haven't listened to any sense up to this point and are determined to see this budget through because they actually believe it's the most important thing for us right now; they won't give us a choice because they believe we don't really understand what's happening :rolleyes:.

What should I do? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Surely there are times when situations become so grave that the need to plan beyond the initial change is negated by the very urgent need for change regardless.
    I disagree I have to say. There must be planning or those protesting are nearly as bad as those they protest against.
    FF are a zombie government they have no right nor will to lead anymore, and that is reason enough for me to march to demand change!
    Yes but how? General election? OK that's coming and coming soon and vote right this time Ireland. The running of the country handed over to some temporary emergency commitee? OK how long would that take and who would be on it? Is it even constitutional? Would the rest of the world recognise it? What would happen to our finances during this change? Plus "temporary" bodies like that have a tendency to permanence. Long list
    Do I think my voice will be listened to, No.
    Do I agree with all of the speakers, No.
    Do I really need to agree with the speakers, No not really this march has grown from its original purpose, into an opportunity for peoples voices to be heard merely through their presence.
    The problem is Robbie that your understandable and valid concerns are likely to be hijacked by the very muppets you don't agree with.
    Will it change anything, probably not, but in some situations even if the outcome seems destined to fail.
    You still have to try anyway.
    Hey I'm down with this as some mechanism of letting off steam from our national psyche. I completely get that. I just wish it wasn't being led by very dodgy characters with the loudest voices.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Usually Id try and be articulate but I think my feelings would be best summed up by

CUNTS!

in large letters

Was a placard at the student protests in England with:

Con-Dems put the N into Cuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

iamstop wrote: »
    I'll be going, camera in hand.
    Not a bad idea.

Brothers bring a pro video cam, it can benefit two fold. Record and post on Utube scumbags that are causing trouble and also any Garda brutality.

Vote the bastards out in two months time. Send the FF's and the Greens the message, "never again will we listen to you or anyone else from the old political Irish way of life". Extend that suspicion to every single public rep from any and all parties. Repeat for life and teach any kids you have the same. Point them to the history books of the future that point to this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm in two minds about this...

Firstly I really want to go and voice my outrage. I do feel that as a country we need to band together and tell our government that we want nothing to do with them or the debt that they've forced on us. I disagree with so much that the government is planning and I want to voice that.

However, I disagree strongly with the trade unions and I don't want to be assosciated with them (or Éirigí and SFers if they gatecrash and fcuk everything up). I'm all too aware that somewhere along the way violence will break out and probably completely undermine the protest. The current government will also completely ignore us - they haven't listened to any sense up to this point and are determined to see this budget through because they actually believe it's the most important thing for us right now; they won't give us a choice because they believe we don't really understand what's happening :rolleyes:.

Find a big fence & sit on it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RoodBoi

zxr500man wrote: »
    guys can any one tell me a time and place for the protest tomorow??

11 meet up, 12 go walkies, Wood Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RoodBoi

Elessar wrote: »
    Me hole I'm going to some march on a saturday!! :D

I guarantee this protest will achieve nothing. But off you go into the freezing cold if you want!

"Hurr rise up HURR Nineteen sixteen HURRRRRR"

Get off it. I'm playing Left 4 Dead :)
    waste pal, you can play l4d anytime, you get very few chances to air your grievances, especially in this underhanded 'neutral' hellhole. just once, give it a go. if it achieves nothing you can say i told you so. ;p

• Advertisement

Vote the bastards out in two months time. Send the FF's and the Greens the message, "never again will we listen to you or anyone else from the old political Irish way of life". Extend that suspicion to every single public rep from any and all parties. Repeat for life and teach any kids you have the same. Point them to the history books of the future that point to this time.

I plan on doing that anyway :P

Find a big fence & sit on it. :P

Why, I have one right here! How convenient :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Vote the bastards out in two months time.
    It will be far too late in two months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Vote the bastards out in two months time. Send the FF's and the Greens the message, "never again will we listen to you or anyone else from the old political Irish way of life".

Pointless at that point. If you want them out, why would you possibly let them dictate the fate of the country now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Where has it been happening in civilised society??? How come in Germany they can manage to use their economy to deliver long term stable growth???

Empires have come and gone. Societies have risen and fallen. Boom has always been followed by bust. The history of humanity has not always been one happy long upward curve of increasing personal wealth and economic growth. Ironic that you would mention Germany, Germany in the early 1900's was a very different place to Germany in the early 1930's. Ever heard of the Great Depression? Wall Street Crash? Russia post the break up of the Soviet Union? Argentina? Central Asia and the Caucasus were worse off financially in 2009 than they were twenty years before. In the last 100 years Germany has been reduced to rubble and square one twice, and they bounce back.

Sometimes when everything just seems to be rosy something comes along and kicks you in the arse and knocks you back a few steps.

You know how they can do it? People are prudent, people save. The country boomed in the 50's and 60's and instead of spending every penny the Germans invested properly, in transport, infrastructure, housing, etc. In Ireland we had a boom and prices went through the roof, and everyone is to blame. We had single rooms being rented out on Dublin for around €500 per month, I could have had a one bed, properly built and insulated, serviced apartment in a city not much smaller in Germany for less than half that per month. That's how Germany manages, by smoothing out the boom with the bust, try that here and the government would be gone. People screamed that every penny should be spent, the government has a surplus :eek: that's not right, spend it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here it was, first hint of a boom. SPEND, SPEND, SPEND!!!
    It's not that hard, when our economy took off, rather than protect the growth as something that we wanted to preserve as a long term attribute of our economy, and reinforce the common good, our government decided to use it as a mechanism to get elected back into government, by taking huge donations off builders that they were in return legislating for, with tax breaks, etc, and using those donations to fund two huge PR campaigns that swung two elections..

The levels of growth we had were unsustainable long term. What you mention above is one reason why it was squandered. The Irish people, every Paddy, Jim and Mary are another, the standard of living became a race. There was a race to the top, that you won't get in Germany. Give an Irish person a few quid tax back and the first query is what to spend it on? Give it to a German and they'll say where's the best place to put in for a rainy day. The ironic thing is it was this German thriftiness that allowed us to spend money we didn't have, and now you are looking back at them and wondering why we aren't like them? It's not the government, it's national psyche that needs to change, not whatever suit occupies the Dáil.
    You might call that normal or in the national interest, but I don't. What happened was pure selfish greed.

Pure greed that went from the government right down to the price of a pint.... and most people went happily along with it, rather than raising a voice. Where were the protest marches then?
    How come when it happens abroad there is no sense that the people engaged in violence are scumbags, etc???

As above in France they generally are, usually because in "venting anger" at 'the man' they turn around and burn out their neighbours car/smash up a few shops thereby depriving someone else of an income and job. Well, that solved everything.

Perhaps you are right, I hear the people in Greece who torched the bank offices, killing those inside are real heroes.

But never mind, you rally to the side of some of the people who got us into this mess, and follow.
    Everyone glances at Burma and weeps - strange how the act of protesting is almost undemocratic in Ireland these days. :rolleyes:.

Tell me you didn't just try to compare Burma to Ireland? Once again people are losing the run of themselves... we've learned nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

As the two of the posters befor eme said in two months time, we may be in a far worse faith. This Government could be prepared to risk everything in the vain belief they are still right!

I dont think anyone can plan for the future until such point as we know how bad the nation really is, and just how many lies Fianna Fail have told us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

CiaranC wrote: »
    It will be far too late in two months time.

My sentiments exactly.

Fianna Fail need to be destroyed. We need to tell these evil bastards they are not a viable option for the Irish people anymore. Cowen had his chances to, if not redeem himself, at least show some remorse for the people of this country but he hasn't. He and his cronies resent the Irish people. He wants to fcuk us all one last time before leaving office - one final FCUK YOU!

These men are not the fools the media portray them as...they have known exactly what they were doing all along!

Evil cvnts!

These men are not the fools the media portray them as...they have known exactly what they were doing all along!

Evil cvnts!

I'm not so sure that's true... I think they're dangerously stupid. Either way, we need them gone, but I don't know that this protest can get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭scotchy

And another thing to think about.

If you do go to the march you’ll have a chance to see yourself on Reeling in the years in about 10 years time.:)

:cool:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

scotchy wrote: »
    And another thing to think about.

If you do go to the march you’ll have a chance to see yourself on Reeling in the years in about 10 years time.:)

:cool:
    or live on Sky News if it kicks off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

or live on Sky News if it kicks off.

we better wear our sunday best :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I'm not so sure that's true... I think they're dangerously stupid. Either way, we need them gone, but I don't know that this protest can get them out.

If we went, Ukraine style, and camped outside the Dail until they quit it would get them out. The green protest idea is a runner.

The problem is that the population is 20% Fianna Fail, 30% totally apathetic and 30% morons who wont protest because x, y or z is also protesting, leaving the rest of us poor saps to march along with a handful of shinners and crusties and beardies and watch the whole thing go down in flames.

CiaranC wrote:
    If we went, Ukraine style, and camped outside the Dail until they quit it would get them out.

Organise it and I'll be there and get at least 100 people to come with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Prinz

You can just feck off with your ...'and everyone is to blame'.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing this and this is what the Brians & Co want everyone to believe.

A great many people struggled to survive during the Boom years. Those same people are now in massive difficulties.

Some of us had long term illnesses, life situations that meant we had very little, and guess what-unemployment. We could not afford the rents, let alone even thinking of ever affording our own home.

We thought it was crazy what was going on but we were told to stop being so negative.

This is one of the reasons I am marching tomorrow, even though I intend to stay well away from the union fat cats- I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EXCESSES AND DEBT OF THIS COUNTRY, and there are many more like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Darlughda wrote: »
    A great many people struggled to survive during the Boom years. Those same people are now in massive difficulties..

Actually they aren't by and large those in 'massive difficulties' are those who completely went beyond their means.

I struggled to "survive" during the boom. I am still doing it, and look I am surviving, whoopy.

To ignore the fact that last few years were a period of unmatched prosperity for everyone is ridiculous. It's sticking your head in the sand and depending on a convenient scapegoat.

"Some of us" got €€'s for eyes and lived it up to the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Darlughda wrote: »
    Prinz

You can just feck off with your ...'and everyone is to blame'.

I am sick to the back teeth of hearing this and this is what the Brians & Co want everyone to believe.

A great many people struggled to survive during the Boom years. Those same people are now in massive difficulties.

Some of us had long term illnesses, life situations that meant we had very little, and guess what-unemployment. We could not afford the rents, let alone even thinking of ever affording our own home.

We thought it was crazy what was going on but we were told to stop being so negative.

This is one of the reasons I am marching tomorrow, even though I intend to stay well away from the union fat cats- I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EXCESSES AND DEBT OF THIS COUNTRY, and there are many more like me.

Pretty sure that's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

two months is loo late. there'll be barely a point of voting then because the shots will be called by the imf.

im going because i believe that the irish people are viewed as pushovers, we have taken this shít long enough and its time FF played hardball in their negotiations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

me and my mates are headin to the dail tomorrow. I blame the Unions as much as FF for this current mess so I really cant stomach the thought of bolstering their numbers. I would rather stand peacefully outside our house of parliament than be preached at by a guy on 200 grand a year in a shopping district a mile away from where our future is being negotiated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Pretty sure that's not true.

i was barely getting by through the boom years on a fraction above minimum wage while sharing a room with a friend in a flat paying absorbant prices. not everyone was driving mercs. I got sweet FA from the boom and now im paying for the loss of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

When I tell people I'm going.. A lot of them laugh and say "What you gonna achieve?" and "Nah I'm heading out tonight, not gettin up early.." This one actually said "I would but I don't want to go walking around when there is stuff on the tele"

I'm fúcking furious at the stupidity of really 80% of the people I know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I wasent here for the celtic tiger, i left in 94 came back in 06, maybe i am a jinx.

Advertisement