Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One thing scares me more than potential violence after reading this thread is the amount of crazies I share the country with.

I'm just hoping it's just the usual After Hours quota though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

It's going to be cold tomorrow.

Make sure to wear your hoodie, scarf and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

i was barely getting by through the boom years on a fraction above minimum wage while sharing a room with a friend in a flat paying absorbant prices. not everyone was driving mercs. I got sweet FA from the boom and now im paying for the loss of others

So was I, and still am. However I benefitted in a myriad of other ways due to the boom. It's not all down to how much cash you had floating around. If you were paying absorbitant prices why didn't you move somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

prinz wrote: »
    So was I, and still am. However I benefitted in a myriad of other ways due to the boom. It's not all down to how much cash you had floating around.

like what. the constant inflation? prices of food, fags, a pint going up year on year

I had a job, that was it, a ****ty paid one but a job. I am certainly not going to bow down and kiss the feet of bertie et al because i wasnt homeless.

being in a better position than i would have been in the 80s is not the same as being a greedy cúnt, which some people like to say we all were

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Palimpsest

complaining and doing nothing. As far as I can tell the majority of people in Ireland seem to think that protesting means ringing Joe Duffy. Hope there is a large turnout and that it stays peaceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

"Anger is an Energy !" my fellow Model Citizen's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Palimpsest wrote: »
    complaining and doing nothing. As far as I can tell the majority of people in Ireland seem to think that protesting means ringing Joe Duffy.

Not true! If this gets really bad, some people might just get so mad, they'll consider writing a letter to the Irish Times.

like what. the constant inflation? prices of food, fags, a pint going up year on year.I had a job, that was it, a ****ty paid one but a job. I am certainly not going to bow down and kiss the feet of bertie et al because i wasnt homeless. being in a better position than i would have been in the 80s is not the same as being a greedy cúnt, which some people like to say we all were

Jobs. Consumer choice, LIDL, ALDI where you could eat well on a budget, but initially many people looked down on those who shopped there. Bringing your own lunch to work - again, back in '07 I was the only person to do it where I worked. Consumer electronics, who had the latest phone/mp3/IPOD etc. Cheap flights, foreign trips. The glut of foreign stores who opened Irish branches, they weren't doing it for the feelgood factor, they did it because people were spending. Road improvements, tax credits going up and up year on year. Being sneered at for shopping in Penny's, for avoiding expensive pubs, for saying no to paying to go into a dive niteclub, that people will still do by the hundreds all over the country... etc etc.

This notion that some people have that they didn't benefit whatsoever is B.S. and delusional.

I'm still unsure if I'm going to attend this march. While I 100% want to demonstrate my unhappiness with not just the 10 years leading up to this countries demise (we're way beyond that now) but the last 3 years of economic blunders and the continuing and sickening incompetency as this country sinks lower and lower.

My problem is that this march will just be overrun with the "NO CUTS" brigade, whose economic plan can be summed up thusly:

No cuts
    ???
    Profit

And then besides the no cuts brigade you'll have the lunatics from Eirigi etc
    I want to make a sign that clarifies my position but I don't think I'd be able to fit one that size on the bus :)

Although at this stage I think it's time to put those differences aside, bite my tongue, and work with the lunatics to get this government out of power. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is apt at this stage. Get the government out and we'll work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It's going to be cold tomorrow.

Make sure to wear your hoodie, scarf and gloves.
    I am sure there will be plenty at the march wearing hoodies. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

I am sure there will be plenty at the march wearing hoodies. :p

Yes, but you cant forget your scarf and gloves...

Although, I pretty sure the Guards wouldn't know what to do with fingerprints. They'd prefer to go off down the road and bully some poor bastard with no tax disc on his car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Consumer choice, LIDL, ALDI where you could eat well on a budget. .
    Lidl/Aldi only opened in 2007 where I live.
    Consumer electronics, who had the latest phone/mp3/IPOD etc. .
    Could never afford these toys. Bought my first mobile phone in 2002, and my second one which I still have today, in 2005.
    Cheap flights, foreign trips. .
    Could never afford these either. I have never been on a 'holiday', let alone a foreign holiday.
    The glut of foreign stores who opened Irish branches, they weren't doing it for the feelgood factor, they did it because people were spending..
    Again, no use if you had no money to spend.
    Road improvements,..
    I have never owned a car.
    tax credits going up and up year on year.,..
    Great if you had consistent employment.
    This notion that some people have that they didn't benefit whatsoever is B.S. and delusional.
    No, the notion that everyone benefitted during the boom years is B.S. and delusional.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Just wondering why Wood Quay to GPO?

Darlughda wrote: »
    Great if you had consistent employment..

..and if you didn't during the boom, that was nobody's fault but your own. Everyone benefitted in some manner, from social welfare up. To claim there is a significant number of people who gained nothing whatsoever is just blather. Again I am on barely over the minimum wage, have been for a good few years now. I know exactly what could and can be done on < €20,000 a year Gross.

..and if you didn't during the boom, that was nobody's fault but your own. Everyone benefitted in some manner, from social welfare up. To claim there is a significant number of people who gained nothing whatsoever is just blather. Again I am on barely over the minimum wage, have been for a good few years now. I know exactly what could and can be done on < €20,000 a year Gross.

I have a long term illness that can leave me suddenly unable to work for short periods of time, meaning I could only get on and off temporary work.

I was determined to make some kind of career for myself rather than be relying on bits of temp office stuff, and did a masters. I applied for over 200 jobs since graduating, and was extremely unlucky, and also I had to be honest about the nature of my illness.

One of my parents needed constant caring in 2003-2004 before he died, and by the time 2007 came around, my employment record was made up of short contracts here and there. By 2008 and since, it has been impossible for me even to get an interview.

So how dare you say it is nobody's fault but my own.
    This has just been the way life turned out for me, and I know from working voluntarily with people who struggled with genuine poverty and difficulties during the boom years, I was far from the only one who did not benefit during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Over 200 job interviews:confused:

When did you sleep?

This has just been the way life turned out for me....

Well in that case, we can blame the government 100%. :rolleyes: The actions of the average Joe had nothing to do with it, because of one person's unfortunate personal circumstances, from what you describe whether we were in a boom or a bust is irrelevant.

At the end of the day far, far, far more people benefitted than didn't, and as I said it's not all about how many euro are in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well in that case, we can blame the government 100%. :rolleyes: The actions of the average Joe had nothing to do with it, because of one person's unfortunate personal circumstances. Far, far, far more people benefitted than didn't.

And that has what exactly to do with tomorrows protest? Jesus christ man, that's some attitude to have at this point in time. Basically, what you're saying sounds like 'if you were better off, even slightly so during the boom years, then you are to blame, and have no business protesting against the situation of today'.

Complete tosh really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So was I, and still am. However I benefitted in a myriad of other ways due to the boom. It's not all down to how much cash you had floating around. If you were paying absorbitant prices why didn't you move somewhere else?

I've heard of economic migrants. But now you expect people to become inflation migrants?

That's just a tad bizarre.

And that has what exactly to do with tomorrows protest? Jesus christ man, that's some attitude to have at this point in time. Basically, what you're saying sounds like 'if you were better off, even slightly so during the boom years, then you are to blame, and have no business protesting against the situation of today'.Complete tosh really

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that venting against the government is all well and good, changing government is all well and good, but the problems remain. The problems will always remain until people can put their hands up and admit their own part. Plenty of calls for Cowen etc to admit what they did, but when it comes to the average poster...not so much. Protest away, as long as you put proper thought into it and it's not part of some ill thought out knee jerk thing, which personally, rallying to David Begg's cause tomorrow is. When is the march against him and his ilk?

• Advertisement

I've heard of economic migrants. But now you expect people to become inflation migrants? That's just a tad bizarre.

Rent wasn't absorbitant everywhere.

Well in that case, we can blame the government 100%. :rolleyes: .
    Cheek of you. I never said anything about blaming the government for my circumstances. I am refuting your ridiculous claim that everyone benefitted from the boom.

At the end of the day far, far, far more people benefitted than didn't, and as I said it's not all about how many euro are in your pocket.
    Many didn't. Maybe more benefitted than those who did not, but you were the one who made the b.s and delusional claim that everyone benefitted.

You make me laugh with your claim that you know well how to survive on under €20k per annum. Well bully for you.

Before the rates are slashed next week, the maximum currently you can receive as a single person is €196 pw, and as I cannot afford to live on my own, €66 is the maximum I can recieve for rent in a shared house. That is €13,624 per annum.
    God knows what that figure will be in a few days time, but one thing is sure its a far cry from €20k.

Rent wasn't absorbitant everywhere.
    Ha!
    You obviously were not desperately looking for somewhere to rent, in a houseshare or anything in Dublin in 2006.

Cheek of you. I never said anything about blaming the government for my circumstances. I am refuting your ridiculous claim that everyone benefitted from the boom..

Cheek of you jumping in to reply to a post I made in regards to another poster and then claim I was referring to you. Build a bridge...
    You make me laugh with your claim that you know well how to survive on under €20k per annum. Well bully for you. Before the rates are slashed next week, the maximum currently you can receive as a single person is €196 pw, and as I cannot afford to live on my own, €66 is the maximum I can recieve for rent in a shared house. That is €13,624 per annum.
    God knows what that figure will be in a few days time, but one thing is sure its a far cry from €20k.

Well fan-bloody-tastic for you.:rolleyes: How many hours do you put in for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Cheek of you. I never said anything about blaming the government for my circumstances. I am refuting your ridiculous claim that everyone benefitted from the boom.

Many didn't. Maybe more benefitted than those who did not, but you were the one who made the b.s and delusional claim that everyone benefitted.

You make me laugh with your claim that you know well how to survive on under €20k per annum. Well bully for you.

Before the rates are slashed next week, the maximum currently you can receive as a single person is €196 pw, and as I cannot afford to live on my own, €66 is the maximum I can recieve for rent in a shared house. That is €13,624 per annum.

Sorry, but it appears that you just want to rant, and that is fair enough after reading your posts on this thread, it sounds horrible and fair play to you but your anger at Prinz is misdirected.

Prinz is correct in the majority of what he has wrote, it is not happy reading, there are always exceptions to the rule of course, but he is correct. Harsh but true. If we blinker ourselves about what has happened, we learn nothing.

Ha!
    You obviously were not desperately looking for somewhere to rent, in a houseshare or anything in Dublin in 2006.

Er, as a matter of fact I was. Got a room in north city for €320 per month (Ballymun). Got it knocked down to €300 per month in return for some work around the house. That said I also looked at rooms on the quays for €500+ a month, but I had more cop on to pay anything close to that for a glorified shoe box.

Cheek of you jumping in to reply to a post I made in regards to another poster and then claim I was referring to you. Build a bridge... ?
    See post 408. You made that comment in reply to me.

Well fan-bloody-tastic for you.:rolleyes: How many hours do you put in for that?
    I have worked voluntarily for 2 yrs now. When I am not going through a period of illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that venting against the government is all well and good, changing government is all well and good, but the problems remain. The problems will always remain until people can put their hands up and admit their own part.

Sorry Prinz, but no money has been sunk into bailing ME out. I was not part of the decision to sink that money either. Nor were most people in this country. And, unless you're a top banker, bond holder or politician, it isn't YOUR fault either and that you could possibly take on that responsibility for yourself and think you're now duty-bound to pay the price sounds not unlike self-defeating personality disorder.

BeefJerkyX wrote: »
    Sorry Prinz, but no money has been sunk into bailing ME out. I was not part of the decision to sink that money either. Nor were most people in this country. And, unless you're a top banker, bond holder or politician, it isn't YOUR fault either and that you could possibly take on that responsibility for yourself and think you're now duty-bound to pay the price sounds not unlike self-defeating personality disorder.

...and no money has been sunk bailing ME out. ME ME ME ME ME. Thanks for reinforcing my point. The country is screwed either way. No matter how we go forward. It's going to take more than a few marches and a change in the Dáil to change the Irish outlook on everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Jobs. Consumer choice, LIDL, ALDI where you could eat well on a budget, but initially many people looked down on those who shopped there. Bringing your own lunch to work - again, back in '07 I was the only person to do it where I worked. Consumer electronics, who had the latest phone/mp3/IPOD etc. Cheap flights, foreign trips. The glut of foreign stores who opened Irish branches, they weren't doing it for the feelgood factor, they did it because people were spending. Road improvements, tax credits going up and up year on year. Being sneered at for shopping in Penny's, for avoiding expensive pubs, for saying no to paying to go into a dive niteclub, that people will still do by the hundreds all over the country... etc etc.

lidl and aldi didnt exist for most of the boom years. I was paying half my wages to share a room with 2 other blokes in 2001 and everything else went on food and maybe a few cans at the end of the week. forget about holidays mp3 or assets of any kind. Road improvements? maybe if you could afford a vehicle.

look. i dont want to turn this into a whos the poorest competition because I worked bloody hard to get away (briefly) from that situation and Im being pushed back again. All i saw was prices going up and not my wages because of this perception that everyones loaded. Its not BS. the fact is some of us got shafted by the celtic tiger and now were being skull fúcked aswell

Advertisement