Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I may have been tempted to go if there couldve been a seperate march with a massive unmissable banner at the front of the march stating "WE DO NOT SUPPORT THE PS UNIONS". I know that cuts and tax hikes are necessary, but would have liked to take part to display my dissatisfaction with the out-goings governments performance over the past decade.

I wont take part at a march where attendance will undoubtedly be construed as support for the trade unions. To those who are marching though, enjoy the day (I mean that sincerely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RoodBoi

20Cent wrote: »
    If you don't like unions there are plenty of others having different protests I've seen a few links already in this thread. Otherwise just stand in the street with a sign or spend the day writing letters or emails, go to your local FF office, tell your td's what you want to happen, get involved with groups working for change, but for Gods sake do something.

It's reassuring to see / hear someone that posseses logic amongst all this playground activity. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Flex wrote: »
    I may have been tempted to go if there couldve been a seperate march with a massive unmissable banner at the front of the march stating "WE DO NOT SUPPORT THE PS UNIONS". I know that cuts and tax hikes are necessary, but would have liked to take part to display my dissatisfaction with the out-goings governments performance over the past decade.

I wont take part at a march where attendance will undoubtedly be construed as support for the trade unions. To those who are marching though, enjoy the day (I mean that sincerely).

More excuses! The majority of people there will be the non affiliated Irish public under the banner of ITS NOT OUR DEBT!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RoodBoi

zxr500man wrote: »
    i dont have any major political views or dont favour any political party,
    im going to protest tomorow,because,
    1 ,im unemployed and cant get a job.for a while now!
    2,im struggling to feed my family,
    3,im not in agreement with the future thats been promised to me by our great leaders,poverty etc...:mad:
    4,im really pissed!

No1 should ever struggle to feed their family. What kind of a country / world do we live in where it's deemed 'tough luck' or 'hard times' when people can't eat, or have no shelter - basic needs. This should NEVER be the case and it infuriates me to be honest.

Is this and the multiple cases like it not reason enough for everyone here to forget your allegiances and JUST TAKE TO THE ****ING STREETS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I am going and would urge as many people as possible to go also. It is now bigger than unions, public v private or any of that stuff. That can be fixed later. There will not be another chance for another big protest before the budget. Our country is about to be sold out from under us.
    If you don't like unions go to the Dail or wherever you think is appropriate to make your point.
    If you see or sense trouble move away from it. Don't let other groups dissuade you from making your point. It is apathy that got us here, FF keep getting elected because they stick together through thick and thin. If you oppose FF hold your nose this one time because it is vital they are out of Gov asap and we have new leadership.

In the future when your kids ask you what you did when Ireland was sold you should be able to look them in the eye and say you at least did something.

Exactly, I reject the argument of staying at home because 'I dont agree with the unions/SF/Eirigi/etc' -that's just too idealistic. I don't agree with the PS unions/Eirigi or the rest of them, but we haven't got the luxury of being purist.

The march will probably be a bit messy with a hotch-potch of people protesting for this and against that, but that's a reflection of what is going on.

And if there are troublemakers how does it help to sit at home with your balls in a handbag? We, decent people own the streets as well. If everyone sits at home and lets the Eirigis and the Crusties with a dog on a string speak for us then we can't blame anybody but ourselves if our politicians sell us down the river.

I want a general election without further ado, I think I want us to default.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

IM AS MAD AS HELL AND IM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

I would be going if I was at home in Ireland but unfortunately I am not. Best of luck for tomorrow guys I'll be following it on the tinternet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How long will be protest be on for outside the GPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

iamstop wrote: »
    Just wondering why Wood Quay to GPO?
    Because there will be no TDs at the Daíl and the GPO is the usual spot for the unions, SF and the like to rabble on and on every Saturday.

Darlughda wrote: »
    I have a long term illness that can leave me suddenly unable to work for short periods of time, meaning I could only get on and off temporary work.

I was determined to make some kind of career for myself rather than be relying on bits of temp office stuff, and did a masters. I applied for over 200 jobs since graduating, and was extremely unlucky, and also I had to be honest about the nature of my illness.

One of my parents needed constant caring in 2003-2004 before he died, and by the time 2007 came around, my employment record was made up of short contracts here and there. By 2008 and since, it has been impossible for me even to get an interview.

So how dare you say it is nobody's fault but my own.
    This has just been the way life turned out for me, and I know from working voluntarily with people who struggled with genuine poverty and difficulties during the boom years, I was far from the only one who did not benefit during that time.
    I don't think he was blaming you in particular.
    Like you, I too have a long term illness, and have my good times and bad times.

Kudos on your masters by the way.

What I believe prinz was getting at was the amount of money pissed against the wall by the average person, and that's something I agree with.
    During the boom, and when I was able to work, I was being paid about €200 a day for something I would do for €50 a day now, and would have done for €50 a day back then.

The work was related to my trade, but someone could have done it after a couple of days training. It was just that easy.
    Myself and two friends travelled around the country doing this, and people were all to happy to pay us this obscene money. It was ridiculous. Mind you, I, like everyone else, was all too happy to take this money, and that is where I believe prinz was coming from.

We were all greedy, and all to willing to spend out money on frivilous items that we really didn't need.
    Like most people, I didn't think about the future back then. I was just happy to be getting money for basically doing nothing.

As for the protestors, you'll find soon enough that you can get by without the luxury items that you never really needed.
    In all honesty, how many of you need an iPhone, or a PS3, or a 2l car, or a people carrier, or hdtv on a 50" plasma or any of those things?
    I can understand some people needing a smartphone for work, but the majority of people do not need that. As for the other stuff, absolutely nobody needs them.
    prinz wrote: »
    Cheek of you jumping in to reply to a post I made in regards to another poster and then claim I was referring to you. Build a bridge...

Well fan-bloody-tastic for you.:rolleyes: How many hours do you put in for that?
    You were doing well until that.
    There really was no need to attack Daraghlughda like that.
    the_syco wrote: »
    The minimum wage was brought in due to the celtic tiger. Before the minimum wage, £2 an hour for 12 hour days were legal.

Aye, "but" indeed. You don't need to agree with their agenda, but please come out to support their agenda?

Maybe if there was no unions, I'd come, but can't see that happening, with so many unions protesting.

The same unions who wanted more money in the past.

The same unions who now want to protest, knowing that the goverment intend to slash their membership base, and thus wants them replaced with a union loving political party.

The unions did a lot of good during the foundation of the state, but those in power now, I question their motivations. Esp their large salaries.
    My first job out of school was a union job.
    I was paid £1.64 an hour which rose to £2.04 an hour when I turned 17 (union rates).
    I did 12 hours Monday to Thursday, 10 on a Friday, 8 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. I worked for 3 months without a single day off. When I went to the union rep on the job, he told me that there was nothing he could do to get me a weekend off, even though the boss told me that if I missed a day I would be sacked.

The unions are ****ing useless.

maxxie wrote: »
    I always wondered about the mentality of the people who shouted you should be fighting in france at the young men involved in the rising.

From reading many posts by people here now I get. They do not see the bigger picture but are completely plugged into the system..
    Thankfully FF Ltd won't be lined up against the wall in Kilmainham and made martyrs like the good leaders of 1916 (with the exception of Devalera, the coward).

I am going and would urge as many people as possible to go also. It is now bigger than unions, public v private or any of that stuff. That can be fixed later. There will not be another chance for another big protest before the budget. Our country is about to be sold out from under us.
    If you don't like unions go to the Dail or wherever you think is appropriate to make your point.
    If you see or sense trouble move away from it. Don't let other groups dissuade you from making your point. It is apathy that got us here, FF keep getting elected because they stick together through thick and thin. If you oppose FF hold your nose this one time because it is vital they are out of Gov asap and we have new leadership.

In the future when your kids ask you what you did when Ireland was sold you should be able to look them in the eye and say you at least did something.
    I did do something, but people were too busy spending their money to pay any heed.

To all North Kildare voters, look out for my name on the ballot in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Can't possible achieve anything now. Way too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Going back to the original question...

I rang Garda Traffic Control today, because I have somewhere to be at about 12 tomorrow and was planning on driving through town to get there, so I wanted to see what the traffic restrictions were..

The very lovely Gard in the Phoenix Park Traffic Control Dept, told me they were expecting anything from 2000 to 20,000 people there tomorrow, that the interest in this march was very hard to gauge, but that the fact that it was organised by a union, had put alot of people off attending.....

Not sure where he got his info from, but that's what he told me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I did not want to march at first, because I despise the role the union fatcats took in all this mess.
    However, tomorrow many individuals are coming on their own steam to voice their protest against the unfair burden of the bank debt,the corrupt and lying government, and a myriad of other points people are outraged about.

Below is an email I received from a coalition of homeless and social justice groups. Now, I agree with that particular cause, but even if you don't, why not organise your massive big I DO NOT SUPPORT THE PUBLIC SERVICE UNIONS but I am here because....

If you want to protest, I don't think the argument of 'well, I would but the unions will think I'm supporting them' is good enough, in fairness. Why not come along, see for yourself if you can find a group with banners that match your own reasons for wanting to protest?

spacer.gifspacer.gifemail_header_pcp.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica]Dear Darlughda,
    Come and march behind 'The Poor Can't Pay' Banner

The Government's Four Year Plan will make hit the poorest hardest.
    One way to show that you believe there is a better way to deal with
    our economic crisis is to join the 'The Poor Can't Pay' banner at tomorrow's demonstration!

The Poor Can't Pay will be supporting the Demonstration tomorrow to highlight opposition
    to the proposed €1/hour cut in the minimum wage and the planned slashing of social welfare payments.

The Poor Can't Pay has warned that cutting the minimum wage could lead to massive welfare cuts. This analysis has been supported by Poor Can't Pay campaign member Social Justice Ireland.

A number of 'The Poor Can't Pay' supporters are not trade union members and do not feel comfortable marching behind a union banner - but The Poor Can't Pay banner on the march allows people to express their opposition to these proposals in their own terms. So try to be at Woodquay before the 12 noon start on Saturday 27th, and look out for our banner.

If you can't get to the demonstation, or don't feel this is the way to show your opposition to these changes we will be posting new campaign activities next week. But one thing is certain, that if this is the way that Ireland decides to tackle its economic crisis we will emerge a much more divided country with a much larger proportion of our people living in grinding poverty.
    Now is the time to raise your voice if you opposes this approach.

Mike Allen

[/FONT]
    spacer.gifspacer.gif[FONT=tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]You are receiving this email as a supporter of the Poor Can't Pay Campaign which was hosted by Focus Ireland. We will send you periodic campaign updates and action alerts while respecting your time and privacy.

9-12 High Street • Dublin 8 • Tel: 353 1 881 5900 • Email : mallen@focusireland.ie
    [/FONT][FONT=tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]You are currently signed up to the Focus Ireland mailing list. Click here to unsubscribe at any time.
    [/FONT]image.tmpl?rID=12768025071215458&cID=20101126181312

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You won't get from an asses roar from the Dail or Anglo Irish Banks tomorrow. Gardai will have all this cordoned off to prevent potential trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd go only got three kids and it wouldn't be safe for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

wont be there to support unions who created the problem by raisng wages thus increasing inflation thus increasing wages thus increasing inflation to the extent where foreigners where flocking here for the high wages and social welfare and sure we needed more houses to put them in cue more wage increases and we are a booming ecconomy i think anybody who believed that in the boom actually believed it and didnt protest that they wee being paid too much and not paying enough tax to keep the country going in the inevitable crash has no buisness protesting now but good luck to everybody goin tomorrow to blame the banks (for giving people the money they went looking for ) the goverment for keeping the bubble going while everybody cheered them on. ITS PAYBACK TIME THE PROTEST WILL ACHIEVE NOTHING SO DRY YOUR EYES AND GET ON WITH IT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

There is no way that I would go to that march as it's a union march and the unions are one of the reasons that this country's finances are in the gutter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

tinkerbell wrote: »
    There is no way that I would go to that march as it's a union march and the unions are one of the reasons that this country's finances are in the gutter.

There seems to be more people using the march as a way of getting their own opinions across. It looks like there'll be many groups there for many different reasons, so you can probably have nothing to do with the trade unions if you go along.

There seems to be more people using the march as a way of getting their own opinions across. It looks like there'll be many groups there for many different reasons, so you can probably have nothing to do with the trade unions if you go along.

Why would I go to something that is union organised? Regardless if there's people there protesting for their own reasons, it will still come under the banner of "there are X thousand people here today supporting the unions!" will be the words the union heads will be saying on Sunday.

Anyway, in fairness - these marches are pointless IMO. It is too late. There is no money left. There is nothing that protesting is going to do - there is no money left. As much as I feel for the poorest of people who are struggling, it's pointless to go on a march. The IMF are here, it's game over for this country's finances and no amount of marching is gonna help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Union *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I will not take part in a union march, they are just concerned about losing the 30euro's they get from each member per month who are loosing jobs.
    They have been taking backhanders for years they are no better than the current government or opposition.

Also they aren't even marching towards the Dáil because the government told them not to, its a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Interest rate on preliminary IMF sticking plaster bail out is to be set at 6.7%. This is an a cripplingly rate that will only lead to further austerity measures by the Government. :mad:

Greece was only charged 5.2% in its IMF bailout.

Another reason to be out on the streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Mac daddy wrote: »
    I will not take part in a union march, they are just concerned about losing the 30euro's they get from each member per month who are loosing jobs.
    They have been taking backhanders for years they are no better than the current government or opposition.

Also they aren't even marching towards the Dáil because the government told them not to, its a scam.

OK what marches have u taken part in from ur fence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JC3

We cannot trust the unions, SF and Jim Corr no more than we can trust the banks or the government. If anything kicks off tomorrow all those there are gulity by association.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Anyway, in fairness - these marches are pointless IMO. It is too late. There is no money left. There is nothing that protesting is going to do - there is no money left. As much as I feel for the poorest of people who are struggling, it's pointless to go on a march. The IMF are here, it's game over for this country's finances and no amount of marching is gonna help.

You're right - there is no money left. If we let the government finalise the arrangements with the IMF we'll have no money for the next 40 years. We need to cut our losses now and start afresh, and not piss any more money we don't have up a tree.

The protest will probably be futile, but at least there's a chance (slim as it may be) that FF will listen to their people and ship out. As I already said in this thread though, they honestly believe that their way is the only way out of this mess and are determined to stay in office until the budget is final and the IMF money pours in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

JC3 wrote: »
    We cannot trust the unions, SF and Jim Corr no more than we can trust the banks or the government. If anything kicks off tomorrow all those there are gulity by association.

shiver shiver, better sit on our hands so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

everybodys calling for brian cowens head but the reality the one's responsible or bertie ahern and the unions and the media who built up the celtic tiger bullsh1t. berties going but the same tw4ts or still running the unions and media they helped to bring the mess with the bond markets now with there negative approach what we needed was a positive attitude to see how we get out of this mess but they all put themselves first for there own gains none of these actually give a fcuk about ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

I have to say, I totally agree with most people on the roles of the unions. So I understand why you won't be doing this.

I look forward to hearing what you WILL be doing.

It's Bertie Ahern that put us in this mess in the first place. Brian Cowen was given the short straw IMO. I know he was Minister for Finance, but in fairness - it is the Taoiseach who calls the shots. And who was Taoiseach and gave all the money away? Bertie. And nobody seems to be blaming him. It's because of that muppet Bertie that put us in this mess in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

so if your not going to march and protest what ARE you going to do? I may not support the unions nor do I support SF or Jim C but I am going to the march tomo bcoz I am P***ed off with the situation and it seems the only form of protest thats out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I hadn't really planned on going at all, but I'm ****ing livid now after hearing about the 6.7% interest rate... Jesus christ almighty. If Fianna Fáil had any balls now they'd threaten to default.

Advertisement