Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

amacachi wrote: »
    I would go but I think there's TV on that day.

**** off out of the thread so, please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Morlar wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - If it was organised by, for example UKIP or the BNP would you hold to the same notion that 'you can march WITH them without showing support FOR them' ?

Why did you lump the UKIP in with the BNP????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Out of curiosity - If it was organised by, for example UKIP or the BNP would you hold to the same notion that 'you can march WITH them without showing support FOR them' ?
    Nothing anyone says here will convince you otherwise. It seems to me that you are quite happy to pi$$ and whine here and nothing more.

Perhaps nothing will come of the protest, but for certain, nobody here is going to be recalling the great Boards.ie Moan of 2010 as the moment that those in power paid attention.

Enjoy your extra couple of hours in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Thats a different kettle of fish altogether and you know it, I wouldn't march with those groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

mgmt wrote: »
    Why did you lump the UKIP in with the BNP????

To illustrate the point - i could care less about either ukip or the bnp.

The point is if you participate in a protest march organised by a party you disagree with then you are in effect showing support for the party you disagree with. For the record I don't think UKIP are akin to BNP anymore than they are to SIPTU. The point was to give an example to illustrate the point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The amount of apathy here is insane, you all piss and moan about the state of the country, the people in charge and what they are doing to us, what they are forcing on us and how it's not fair but rather than show your displeasure you belittle anyone who is willing to actually go and publicly voice their unhappiness.

Boards.ie, you never, ever change, do you?

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Thats a different kettle of fish altogether and you know it, I wouldn't march with those groups

So why would I march with your groups ?

Those are probably as objectionable to me as the above are to you.

That is my point. I am extremely opposed to this govt of FF/Greens but I will not overlook the role that the likes of SIPTU played in getting the state to this level of bankruptcy. As I said I will not be attending. If it was a genuinely NON PARTISAN event - I am there. Run by UNIONS to flex their 'hands off our dole' 'hands off our public sector' muscles - no way never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

The point is if you participate in a protest march organised by a party you disagree with then you are in effect showing support for the party you disagree with. For othe record I don't think UKIP are akin to BNP anymore than they are to SSIPTU. The point was to give an example to illustrate the point.
    So give us times and dates of "your" protest for my diary please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I might go down, depends though. Normally I wouldn't give a shite about this kind of stuff but given the way things have gone, it's probably a good time as any other.

Nothing anyone says here will convince you otherwise.

Correct.
    It seems to me that you are quite happy to pi$$ and whine here and nothing more.

I would not characterise my views as 'pi$$ and whine and nothing more'.
    Perhaps nothing will come of the protest, but for certain, nobody here is going to be recalling the great Boards.ie Moan of 2010 as the moment that those in power paid attention.

Enjoy your extra couple of hours in bed.

I won't be in bed as a matter of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

flyton5 wrote: »
    I think it has something to do with the state of the economy. :rolleyes:
    Great answer there. Filled in all the blanks. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So you think whats happening in this country is a good thing?

Only way things will change is if people stand up and make them selves heard.

This country is a joke, people moan there arses off and let them selves get **** all over, and as soon as theres a chance for real change this "Ah sure, what can i do" attitude comes out and the cycle continues.

Grow some balls and get angry.

So you think that by patronising me, you might get me to change my mind?

Grow some sense & chill fuck out.

So why would I march with your groups ?

Those are probably as objectionable to me as the above are to you.

I'm not part of any group, I'm just an ordinary joe soap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Protesting with breakfast roll in hand!!!!

Love it.
    Come one, come all and bring your own breakfast roll ( can be thrown in lieu of mars bar :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Regardless of what the media have made of Jim Corr he made some very valid points in his appeal!
    It is time for people to take to streets, now or never!

All these excuses are ridiculous, "Im not going because such as person/group is going".

You deserve everything you get if you dont make a stand!

People who are not sure do not be discouraged by this poll! No will have the majority here. But I for one know of many good honest people heading in this saturday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

So give us times and dates of "your" protest for my diary please.

The election booth on election day.

I will not stand with David Begg and the other union scumbags of this country. When your at the protest, ask David Begg what he did as a director of the Irish Central Bank since 1995? He is as responsible as Seanie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm going. I oppose the government. I also don't like the trade unions nor Eiregi nor FF nor FG nor Labour...so I want my utter dismay at where we are and how we got here represented.

The more ordinary, non affiliated, people that go then the less the importantance of who organised it will be.

I'm not part of any group, I'm just an ordinary joe soap

But you agree that to march in a protest organised by 'party x' is in effect a show of support for 'party x' ?

If so - then we agree and you understand why I would not support this siptu etc march.

If not then we are not going to agree on that and should probably not waste any more of each others time going around in circles on it - I have made myself crystal clear so I don't see what is so hard to get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The point is if you participate in a protest march organised by a party you disagree with then you are in effect showing support for the party you disagree with. For the record I don't think UKIP are akin to BNP anymore than they are to SIPTU. The point was to give an example to illustrate the point.

No it doesnt! Nearly every protest ive been on has been organised by groups i dont agree with. protests against the israeli blockade organised by swp, attended by 32 sovereignty, eirigi etc. protests against the imf organised by other radical left groups. I dont agree with those groups at all!

I want to register my disgust at whats happening at the moment and I would expect thats what almost everyone there is doing. as is the right of every citizen, union members and non union alike

Its easy to be cynical and say 'ah sure your all supporting those groups'. if you want to have a protest all on your own on a different day thats fine. but spare us the whinging when you have your chance for a say before the boat has sailed and you didnt take it.

the only chance that the parties may listen to the people before the election is if there are enough people saying 'we wont accept any more sh*te'

hell. it worked for the pensioners

I will not stand with David Begg and the other union scumbags of this country. When your at the protest, ask David Begg what he did as a director of the Irish Central Bank since 1995? He is as responsible as Seanie.

http://callforarevolutioninireland.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-are-hitting-streets-this-saturday.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

But you agree that to march in a protest organised by 'party x' is in effect a show of support for 'party x' ?

If so - then we agree and you understand why I would not support this siptu etc march.

If not then we are not going to agree on that and should probably not waste any more of each others time going around in circles on it - I have made myself crystal clear so I don't see what is so hard to get here.

there will be several different groups trying to hijack the protest for their own end, either way their common aim is to get the government out

No it doesnt! Nearly every protest ive been on has been organised by groups i dont agree with. protests against the israeli blockade organised by swp, attended by 32 sovereignty, eirigi etc.

Imagine a world where SWP are occupying the west bank suppressing palestinians and then re-read that sentence for it to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

So the only form of protest you believe in is when a general election comes around? I have no love for David Begg or Seanie Fitz, but I do have a love for my kids and their future is at stake. Therefore petty dislikes for individuals or groups make no difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im definatley going on Sat and surprisingly enough most people I have spoken to are going as well.

If as many people who watch and give out about that stupid X Factor went into town on Saturday and protested it would be a massive turnout.

There are other groups who have organised simultaneous marches not just the unions
    I really don't mind if you don't show up that's your perogative.

interesting. i dissagree with the idea of bangign pots and whistles while the union leaders speak. I dont agree with a lot of what they do but creating divisions in the crowd is counter-productive.

Ive seen before when unpopular people have spoken at rallies. those that dont agree just stay quiet, heckling only raises tensions and tansions may be high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr Levitation

Does family mean kids? I'm leaving my wife and kids in Galway and going alone. Who can tell if it'll be peaceful or not? Maybe i'm paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

who here thinks it will be a mostly peaceful protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Someone take a slurry tanker with them ! Incase we get kettled like the brits. :D

• Advertisement

Imagine a world where SWP are occupying the west bank suppressing palestinians and then re-read that sentence for it to make sense.

what are you on about. imagine this. hypothetical that.

get real and stop trying to derail the thread with nonsense

Advertisement