Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why aren't ICTU proposing strike action? You know why. If the Croke Park agreement is reneged on then and only then will ICTU give a shyte. Today's march is window dressing and people going along are being manipulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Currently only between 10 and 20 thousand people there according to gardai, will probably swell I presume as time goes by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

My Dad is in there with a friend of his.

I did take note of the fact that he was wearing steel-toed boots as he walked out the door, but he's a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Interesting article on the BBC about the student protests in London and the history of what a march can/can't achieve; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11849259

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JohnfromGalway

A token demonstration today only serving to reinforce the notion that the public "servants" have the country by the balls - protected members demonstrating & another set ushering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CDfm wrote: »
    So there is a breakdown in the unelected social partnership and the IMF & EU are in. Thats the new reality. Have the unions engaged with them. Or will the deal only with elected representatives.

We have croneyism and a political party system based largely on Civil War positions.

Why not engage in real democratically elected politics which is what democrats do.

Everyone knows we must have change but where are the leaders advocating it.

They held meetings with them during the week I think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

How is the Croke Park agreement/carve-up more sacrosanct than the avoidance of leveraging the lives of Irishmen & Irishwomen yet to be born?

Does anyone know if there are any online webcams positioned along the protest route? Would be interesting to see the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Does anyone know if there are any online webcams positioned along the protest route? Would be interesting to see the numbers.

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Doesnt seem to be all much of a crowd .

Havent seen the full march but would guess at less than 10,000 from what I've seen so far. No where near 50,000

Could be well off base on that figure but it seems a pretty anaemic affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to be all much of a crowd .

Havent seen the full march but would guess at less than 10,000 from what I've seen so far. No where near 50,000

Could be well off base on that figure but it seems a pretty anaemic affair.

A pathetic country, filled with pathetic people....

I despair. 400,000 unemployed and this is the turnout. Disgraceful.

edit: Apparently the crowds are larger than reported first and if this is true i take it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

samsemtex wrote: »

Maybe they're all out looking for jobs. My misses is ill, and we have a baby that I've to mind. Otherwise, I'd be there. This despite being just 50 quid out of pocket . But the unions ... Blah Blah Blah : rolleyes:

You're failing to give the Irish people much credit for their intelligence aren't you. The vast majority obviously have an idea of what's going on and don't want to see themselves affiliated with the unions who are as much a reason for the state we're in as the government is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

sky News - live feed showing a few scumbags heading to march ..:rolleyes:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You're failing to give the Irish people much credit for their intelligence aren't you.
    Jesus wept.
    The country is in the toilet, but the priority is not to be affiliated with the union. What a pathetic excuse for being a walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

why aren't you there yourself ?.. instead of complaining about it on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A friend rang me. He said there is about 1 million there. Apparently someone told him that.

I laughed.

You're failing to give the Irish people much credit for their intelligence aren't you. The vast majority obviously have an idea of what's going on and don't want to see themselves affiliated with the unions who are as much a reason for the state we're in as the government is.

No that is bull****. The vast majority of people dont give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

1) People know exactly who organised the march

2) The workers did not cause this mess :rolleyes:

OT, I'm pretty sick today, I don't know if standing out in that horrendous cold would do me much good at all, but I am tempted to join it for a bit now.

No they don't!

And I said, the Unions contributed to this mess. I never said the workers caused it.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Jesus wept.
    The country is in the toilet, but the priority is not to be affiliated with the union. What a pathetic excuse for being a walkover.

Yep. What's your excuse ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

BBC News just reported 80,000-100,000 people!

Seems very high?!

why aren't you there yourself ?.. instead of complaining about it on Boards.ie

As i said in the post before that. Im at work.

No that is bull****. The vast majority of people dont give a ****.

Again you show contempt for the majority of the population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

pathetic excuse, you could have taken the day off, shame on you

Somebody has to work today to pay taxes to cover the Gardai overtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

DominoDub wrote: »
    sky News - live feed showing a few scumbags heading to march ..:rolleyes:

can you elaborate on this?

juke wrote: »

Cheers for that. Any idea where they're going to be gathering first? If it's any of the touristy well-known locations like O'Connel's Street, you'd be guaranteed a webcam somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

can you elaborate on this?

Just an observation of a few groups of "lads" walking past the news cam.

When you live in City Centre as long as I have you get to know who and what groups to avoid !

• Advertisement

Yep. What's your excuse ?
    sick wife, child to look after. If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that. Also, mobile phones have internet now. So you didn't really think your smartarse reply, did you?

Advertisement