Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Again you show contempt for the majority of the population

Yes, i do show contempt for a lot of the population. That is pretty much what i said in my first post. Considering 22% of people in Donegal still voted for FF yesterday I think my contempt is well founded.

pathetic excuse, you could have taken the day off, shame on you

I assume that is sarcasm but no I couldnt actually as i have been off sick recently and if i could I would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

davyjose wrote: »
    sick wife, child to look after. If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that. Also, mobile phones have internet now. So you didn't really think your smartarse reply, did you?

So the point you're trying to get to is that you're not there, but quite happy to insult everyone else that's not there ?

samsemtex wrote: »
    Yes, i do show contempt for a lot of the population. That is pretty much what i said in my first post. Considering 22% of people in Donegal still voted for FF yesterday I think my contempt is well founded.

22% is a small minority, however the majority of people in the city, never mind the country, choose not to support the unions march. There's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

As i said in the post before that. Im at work.

Are you being paid to post on Boards ?

If you felt so strongly about joining the protest you should have taken the day off.

If you don't feel strong enough about it to do the above..then less of the pathethic Irish comments...

I've gotta split , my real boss (wife) is telling me to turn off the laptop :)

• Advertisement

So the point you're trying to get to is that you're not there, but quite happy to insult everyone else that's not there ?

The point is that there are dozens of people who could be there but arent. The man has a good reason and i'm sure if he could be there he would. There are 400,000 people unemployed, probably half of them live within 40mins of Dublin yet we have so far less than 10,000 people by all accounts.

And its a Saturday and 80% of people are off so even more people could be there if they wanted. It is pathetic whatever way you look at it. I see it myself everyday, there is complete apathy to what is going on around us. Very few young people seem interested other than those that are already entrenched in the idiocy that is Irish party politics.

edit: Apparently the crowd is larger than first reported so if that is true i take back some of what i have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Another estimate on BBC News - 25,000-30,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

You know yer man david begg ICTU man ,man of the people and all that. Well I just downloaded a central bank report and guess who was on the board of directors. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Or, I'm disappointed at the hundreds of thousands who could be there, and aren't, because they don't want to be associated with the unions. Would it kill you to read back over this thread? Really, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The point is that there are dozens of people who could be there but arent. The man has a good reason and i'm sure if he could be there he would. There are 400,000 people unemployed, probably half of them live within 40mins of Dublin yet we have so far less than 10,000 people by all accounts.

And its a Saturday and 80% of people are off so even more people could be there if they wanted. It is pathetic whatever way you look at it. I see it myself everyday, there is complete apathy to what is going on around us. Very few young people seem interested other than those that are already entrenched in the idiocy that is Irish party politics.

Just back from the demo.

I have to work this afternoon but I'm glad I attended.
    No sign of troublemakers among the people I marched alongside.

• Advertisement

There's nothing pathetic about not wanting to support a union march.

People like yourself can't have it both ways. You whinge about how this is a democracy and say the people want an election. Yet when the vast majority of the population don't want to support this march, as is their democratic right, you have a problem with this. You need to accept you're in the minority in this instance.

Or, I'm disappointed at the hundreds of thousands who could be there, and aren't, because they don't want to be associated with the unions. Would it kill you to read back over this thread? Really, would it?
    The protesters have my support today. Albeit from afar. What can I do? At least I'm not hiding behind weakness, or a sudden indignance toward the unions, as support, through apathy, of this government. If you want to pick holes in my reasons go right ahead. I wouldn't be surprised so many have their head in the sand.

There's nothing pathetic about not wanting to support a union march.

People like yourself can't have it both ways. You whinge about how this is a democracy and say the people want an election. Yet when the vast majority of the population don't want to support this march, as is their democratic right, you have a problem with this. You need to accept you're in the minority in this instance.
    it's pathetic to blame the unions on your cowardice to stand against this government.
    You know nothing about me. This isn't the first assumption you've made about me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Jesus wept.
    The country is in the toilet, but the priority is not to be affiliated with the union. What a pathetic excuse for being a walkover.

I don't see why you think someone should march with people crying about cuts that are necessary. The protest isn't going to achieve anything... and more importantly, the protest isn't even supposed to achieve anything. It's just giving people a place to cry in public about something that can't be changed. Lets them feel all important. A lot of people, like me, who have chosen not to go on the protest are doing so because they don't see the point in protesting against something when there is nothing anyone can, or should, do about. We are where we are. We can play the blame game when the election campaigning begins. If people think that this protest allows their voice to be heard then they're sadly mistaken. How many people in this topic have said that people should go along even if they don't agree with the ones organising the protest? How on Earth would that be allowing your voice to be heard? You'd just be allowing yourself to be a number for the ICTU to include in their "look how many people oppose your cuts" statistic.

Also... I think it's kind of funny how this protest was arranged long before the 4 year plan was even released... before people knew what they'd even be protesting against!

it's pathetic to blame the unions on your cowardice to stand against this government.
    You know nothing about me. This isn't the first assumption you've made about me today.

It's pathetic that you think it takes courage to go for a walk around town on a Saturday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bimbar

great live webcam feed from within the crowd

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/quaycam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

in work today. Im surprised at some peoples attitude towards the unions. As far as Im concerned this is a march against the government and the all mighty balls they have made of the country. Id say the weather did have its part to play

listen lads, I've given my reasons for not attending. So let me know when the internet warrior march is on, and I'll definitely attend that.
    Like ffs, what are you guys waiting on?

Like ffs, what are you guys waiting on?

Something that might actually help........?

I didn't think you'd mind as you've done the same but on a much larger scale, several million I think it was that you made sweeping judgements against ?

• Advertisement

What I and any reasonable person would have treated today as would be an anti government march. The fact that the unions have organised it means nothing to me. The country has been completely and utterly ****ed by the government and this is/was an opportunity to mobilise people. As it stands it just looks like we don't care. The rest of the world cannot understand our apathy to all of this and neither can I.

What I and any reasonable person would have treated today as would be an anti government march. The fact that the unions have organised it means nothing to me. The country has been completely and utterly ****ed by the government and this is/was an opportunity to mobilise people. As it stands it just looks like we don't care. The rest of the world cannot understand our apathy to all of this and neither can I.

To treat this an an "anti government" day would be ridiculous considering the banners you'd be marching under would be demanding the reversal of the cuts.

And the people who attempted to stop Government austerity measures in Greece were a joke. They should be embarrassed of themselves, and most of the world's media were critical of them for not grasping what exactly was going on in their country and why the Government needed to make cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I would have marched except that this is being advertised as a march against the austerity plans - I am in favour of the austerity plans but NOT IN FAVOUR OF THE INCOMPETENCE AND GREED THAT MADE THESE PLANS NECESSARY.

Please sign me up for the anti-greed and incompetence march!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I would have marched except I overslept :o. I'm just up now...

Hope it goes well for everyone who's alarm clocks worked this morning :P

Mark200 wrote: »
    To treat this an an "anti government" day would be ridiculous considering the banners you'd be marching under would be demanding the reversal of the cuts.

And the people who attempted to stop Government austerity measures in Greece were a joke. They should be embarrassed of themselves, and most of the world's media were critical of them for not grasping what exactly was going on in their country and why the Government needed to make cuts.

Or you could have made your own banners? Look i kind of understand the mentality behind not marching as i have nothing but contempt for the Unions myself. But....the fact that there seems to be no sign of any other types of protest happening makes this one of the few opportunities for people to show their anger.

We've just completely rolled over and frankly its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JohnfromGalway

22% is a small minority, however the majority of people in the city, never mind the country, choose not to support the unions march. There's a big difference.

What's really scary (and ominous) if the 61.2% first preferences that SF & FF got between them in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

A fooking song, jaysus it's like Joe duffys unfunny Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Watching the feed there

David Begg announced that gardai officially put the attendance at over 100,000

There are calls too
    "what do we want?"
    "General strike"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few minutes ago the gardai said 50000 on sky news...

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »
    Something that might actually help........?
    I think the government need to be resisted in every way possible. We're the ones having to bail this nation out - we need to make sure it's being done in a way that suits us.

Thisregard, I may have come on strong. I apologise for that, but I see this march as, hopefully, a beginning of the irish people standing up for themselves. I'm saddened others are so critical. I'm an easy target, but I'm gutted I couldn't attend, and I won't hide away over it. My goal is clear: make every remaining day of ff's so called leadership a misery for Cowen and co.

Advertisement