Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Is it true the union bosses were booed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

bleg wrote: »
    Im not sure but they have been in the past and for good reason

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yes. I was broadcasting the ustream "quaycam" feed, lots of booing of O'Connor whenever he'd go on about the power of the unions.

Equally though there were people calling for a "general strike".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Reported on storyful that they were booed alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

steddyeddy wrote: »
    People who didnt march today say they hate the unions, when people turn up protesting the unions their militants. Jesus whats next your not marching because some foriegn people turn up?

The march was organized by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, i'm sure the union leaders are there to give speeches. Why would I join in the march, i'm totally against what the organisers and speakers stand for.

I cant see why there's difficultly understanding that, I don't want them claiming my support and i'm not interested in listening to their ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

colly10 wrote: »
    The march was organized by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, i'm sure the union leaders are there to give speeches. Why would I join in the march, i'm totally against what the organisers and speakers stand for.

I see why there's difficultly understanding that, I don't want them claiming my support and i'm not interested in listening to their ****e

Like many people who were there, I think that when some people protested against the unions it was a pretty clear message the unions didnt represent everyone. I understand your logic of not wanting to go but I dont give credit to some people on here who criticse both sides of the march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was at it it was fairly peaceful from what I saw but what did surprise me is how victimised the union leaders feel themselves to be, when one union boss evoked the memory of larkin I nearly laughed.
    Fcuk them. Imagine how they would've survived back then.
    Why not aim for national strikes, both in the public and private sector?
    Private sector workers have no logical reason to strike, public sector will just lose another day's pay. Funny enough the last time the low-paid civil servants were balloted on whether or not to strike the leader of the union visited the office where a mate of mine works. Someone asked why there was no fund for strike-pay when they hadn't had a strike since before he started and he'd been paying his union subs for 8 years til then for the sake of a few emails about the glorious left. Obviously the guy preaching to them to strike was on 120k just for the union leadership, I think he could afford to lose a day's pay better than someone on 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

So we CAN do peaceful protest! The sky didn't fall in after all as predicted !!!

Roll on the next one with the Unions nowhere in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I think the march going off without any problems whatsoever (at least from what I could see and the people I talked to) shows that some solidarity among the Irish people still exists today, which was a lovely thing to witness. Thanks to everyone that turned up and made it memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

In this case I would trust the gardai figurse more havings said that there seemed to be over 50,000 people there

The gardai are part of the public service & its largely the public service who are marching.

People forget that in Dublin the public service is the major employer and to date the public service has been least affected by this recession.

I find it fairly abhorrant that public servants will protest about proposals when the real cuts being suffered are by those on the dole. That is the choice really.

A large amount of tax revenue is raised in the form of Pay Related Social Insurance (10.75% employers / 4% emplyees) 15% of payroll was to provide for unemployed. That was what it was brought in for. Pay related meant it was linked to contributions.

This revenue was originally collected & intended for redistribution back to private sector workers in times of need and that is not what is happening to it.

For most public service workers -unemployment is a concept that happens to other people and is not reality.

Dole vs Public Service Pay - its a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was there any mention of a push to refuse a bailout and allow the country to default?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Scien wrote: »
    Yes, quite vocally too.

I enjoyed the young unemployed plumbers speech and his Guevara-esque fist pumps. :)
    Agreed a very good speaker for a young lad. Fair play to him. Glad to report the union leaders where booed.:)

Was there any mention of a push to refuse a bailout and allow the country to default?

Are you looking for specifics from the unions? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a breakaway bunch of tossers are throwing fireworks at the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

sonic85 wrote: »
    protesting at this stage is not gonna change a thing - might make people feel a bit better but thats about it. were screwed - protesting wont change that. the government are a shower of b*stards and id give them and the banks 60% of the blame for the mess were in. fact is though 40% of the blame lies squarely at the feet of normal people who lived way beyond their means, spent money like there was no tomorrow and thought the good times would keep on rolling. the chickens have come home to roost now though

Yup. We lived way beyond our means and now we've run out of money. ignore the bank mess, and were still spending 19bn more then we take in. The cuts didn't go far enough, croke park agreement needs to be torn up

mike65 wrote: »
    Sounds like a breakaway bunch of tossers are throwing fireworks at the Guards.

A crowd going through the streets of Dublin is like a glacier moving down a mountain, every useless bit of material will get dragged with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

God I hope there wasn't, such a nonsense idea.

We as a nation brought this mess on ourselves, talk of "default" is just embarrassing

crapmanjoe wrote: »

We as a nation brought this mess on ourselves, talk of "default" is just embarrassing

I disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

We are no more to blame than the European banks who lent money to our toxic ones.

• Advertisement

We didn't ask to nationalise the banks and make their private debts our debts. I have no problem with the idea of the IMF but when they're raping us to look after foreign pension funds they can piss off. The deficit and bank losses are completely separate issues, or they were until the government decided to fcuk us all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Care to elaborate on why it would be embarrassing.. or more importantly how we would be worse off as a result of defaulting? We'll be paying around 9 Billion per year on interest alone for this. We're being loaned money which we cannot realistically afford to pay back.. sound familiar? Foreign banks are doing exactly the same as what our own banks done to cause this mess. It's completely unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

Yes booed and heckled when speaking.

Care to elaborate on why it would be embarrassing.. or more importantly how we would be worse off as a result of defaulting? We'll be paying around 9 Billion per year on interest alone for this. We're being loaned money which we cannot realistically afford to pay back.. sound familiar? Foreign banks are doing exactly the same as what our own banks done to cause this mess. It's completely unsustainable

how could we be worse of, our own banks are bascially defaulting on their own repsonsibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Yeah, i have a few loans there that i need paying off. Can you take care of that for me please? Ta.

You do realise that is essentially what we are being asked to do yeah?

Defaulting is the only realistic option. In the long term it will happen anyway. We will NEVER be able to pay off this debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its a facility and not a loan.

The idea is that if we trim our spending and negeotiate with the bondholders then we do not have to take it.

The Unions effectivelly do not want this. They want us to borrow the money to pay the public service.

Effectivelly, its like a company going into administration where the public service union wants the biggest slice of the pie and f*** everyone else. They do not care where the money comes from.

The choice is ours not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Bi6N wrote: »
    Me and quite a large number of friends will be going, shame on anyone who sits on their arse while the country gets f**ked

Or i could go to work pay the many taxes that just about keep the lights on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

What's this public sector/private sector crap?

ICTU organised the demonstration, the majority of whose members are private sector. The vast bulk of SIPTU members are private sector. I work in the private sector.

The protest was against the 4 year plan. Against cuts to the minimum wage (which affects the private sector), and the governments attempts to bring down wages generally in the private sector. This was the stated aim of reducing the minimum wage.

Also ICTU proposed a stimulus package for the private sector.

They are against dole cuts, which affects the private sector.

Whatever about agreeing with ICTU's proposals or not, its simply wrong to say its to boost the public sector ahead of the private sector. Why then did so many private sector workers attend? Even if it was just to protect the public sector I'd rather give my tax money to a nurse than Roman Abramovich.

This thread is 50 pages long, but the sheer amount of ignorance is appalling. Yes David Begg was on the Central Bank's board. But what about the dissenting opinions included in board reports? Yes, those were written by the union board members who are on the record as being against the poor regulation, long before it was fashionable to do so.

It seems everything a lot of posters here know about unions, they learned from the Sunday Independent. Remember, the media have their own agenda's too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

40% of the blame lies squarely at the feet of normal people who lived way beyond their means, spent money like there was no tomorrow and thought the good times would keep on rolling. the chickens have come home to roost now though

At least that 40% are now coming to realise their stupidity. The (at least) 60%blame which lies with the wealthy tax evaders, the millionaires with the offshore accounts, the cronyism, the corrupt Government - as far as I can see they're still getting off the hook, scot free! They, each and every one of them should be thrown into jail without parole!

Advertisement