Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Electra19

Great to see so many comments here on the left wing loony madness. Did you notice the huge number of beards marching! No, I wasn’t marching today either. We need austerity measures although it’s a very nasty pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

laugh wrote: »
    people died so we could have a modern democracy.

So people have a right to demonstrate. If you bothered to go you would have seen pensioners, families, kids, all classes of people uniting.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    No presumably so they couldnt be identified and id imagine they would keep you nice and snug. I seem to remember the riot police wearing them at the student protests does that make them scum?

The riot police have valid reasons for wearing them as part of their full riot kit. People in crowds like this who aren't going out to be involved in trouble do not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Some people have a weird hang up about it if you wear a balaclava. I'm always having trouble with it. Bank security staff are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So people have a right to demonstrate. If you bothered to go you would have seen pensioners, families, kids, all classes of people uniting.

I know, my point was you have to watch out for the lunatics on the fringe using these things for their own ends.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    you have to watch out for the lunatics on the fringe using these things for their own ends.

They have to watch out for me ;) (Kidding)

Fair enough. Off topic, there was some mix there, tinfoilers, hammer and sickle reds, beardies, kids, teenagers, dogs, there was a wild haired woman protesting against Pat Kenny! Placard and all! There was a guy in front of me with a huge speaker on a tripod with a microphone, he kept tapping the microphone and shouting the odd comment in to it! The Roma gypsies were not having much look begging. At one stage a Gards loud hailer failed and started making a siren noise, everyone was cheering him and imitating the noise, even his collegues were laughing at him! He had to leg it to fix it in peace.

Don't let one photo cloud your judgment of your fellow citizens. There were no arrests, I felt everyone there was there for a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

There were no end of people using it for their own ends, having banners more advertising their own groups than anything else. And good ol' RTE mention all the unions without making mention of all the families out who had nothing to do with unions.

But this is beyond unions and the turnout was great. Ordinary folk. Non-union people.

And even with all the union crap, the message came out beautifully clear - public money shouldn't be paying for private debts. A government that's on its way out shouldn't be signing any deals we don't need and don't want. The focus came through and, when it comes to the union stuff, I was actually fairly impressed that, when it came to speaking, most (not all) was about that main message.

Great turnout, especially considering the weather conditions. On a good day, I'd say it would have been much bigger. A good crowd simply showing their presence. No louts. Just people wanting a better future than the one on the table now.

So kudos to everyone who braved the cold and made it in. Nice to be there with you.

Doesn't end here though. Next thing is to contact local TDs quick and express your feelings. Nice part about that is that people who didn't go to this because of the unions can still get your voice heard, whatever it is you want to say. But I do implore you please to get your voice heard. TDs can STILL make a difference, but not for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

cant wait for f.g and lab budget then we can go flat out with the protests i suggest maybe 2 days a week prob mon and fri rising to 5 to cover whole working week

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I believe Christy Moore and Mary or Francis Black were singing or somesuch? Did they say anything about their artists exemtions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

BeefJerkyX wrote: »
    But this is beyond unions and the turnout was great. Ordinary folk. Non-union people.

Well, given that about 38% of workers are in unions, and the vast majority of workers (even non-members) are covered by union agreements, I think union members can also be termed ordinary-folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stekelly wrote: »
    I believe Christy Moore and Mary or Francis Black were singing or somesuch? Did they say anything about their artists exemtions?

The one that's to be reduced from €250,000 to €40,000 per year?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/1126/1224284170511.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

dayshah wrote: »
    There was some coverage. A bit like with Morgan Kelly. It just was tucked away in the middle of the Last Word and so on, a few sentences given to the dissenting section. It wasn't given much prominence. Sure aren't all them commie union leaders unqualified? Would you really have paid attention?

Who said they were unqualified. I have not. I have said they are very well qualified.

What people are saying is that the Unions and Public Service are part of the Corporate Estate of Decision Makers in Ireland.
    Maybe they should have resigned in protest. I doubt anyone would have noticed at the time. I suppose it must have been a dilemma. Quit trying to change the system while on the board, or resign and try change it from outside where few people care about banking regulation.

Anyway, no way does he bear responsibility anywhere close to that of Neary, Seanie, or Cowen.

Actually, he does bear the same responsibiity as Neary.

It was not a dilemma -its what he was paid to do & it was his responsibility. Was it Dubya that said " Not on my watch" ,well, it was his watch and saying it wasn't is a Dubya answer.

Imagine, the IMF/EU are looking at the reportage of todays events setting an interest rate for the Irish contingency fund and David Begg's name comes up. "Who is he " a German might ask " Union leader, sat on the Board of the Central Bank" " Gott in Himmel -will they ever learn".

So if someone like David Begg is a mover and shaker in Irelands corporate estate after all this then, don't you think it is time for a change and more responsible leadership.

The politicians will get punished by the electorate but these guys have power without responsibility.

So the behavior of the potential political leaders like Enda Kenny and the ICTU & SIPTU in the wake of striking a deal is really frightening. Crazy.

We will all get punished for their wrecklessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Well, there were distinct boos today when the union heads strayed from the 'general' themes twords union stuff. They tried to walk the line but I'd love to see a march without them.

If that's what we can produce in freezing weather with many reluctant to march under the Union bosses banner imagine what we could do next Saturday if everyone got involved under a general peaceful democratic banner.

No doubt, this week will bring more for the decent, average person to feel fecked off about. The IMF deal wraps tomorrow with a scheduled conference call @ 4pm. All this is being done high-handedly by FF possibly at a 6.7% rate. But even if it's lower, it's probably a FF leak so that if it's 5% or 5.5% we'll feel relieved. Don't be fooled, it's a deal being foisted on us by Germany and France. We may default down the road anyway. Yada yada.

It doesn't matter we need to put the breaks on here. We have money to run the country until early next Summer. The pressure is not on US, the Irish taxpayer it's on Angela Merkel and her mates in Europe. We're not going to be their scapegoat.

Depending on what happens during the week, we ordinary people (not aligned with the corrupt and FF colluding union leaders) should march not to the Dail, but to Aras an Uachtarain and demand a general election if they sign this disasterous deal. That's all of us not marching under any banner except ourselves; peaceful citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Im delighted I got over my union gripe and attended, I was beginning to feel I was just using it as an excuse (like many here tbh), it was definitely a national anti FF protest, and if anything alot of people were there to boo the unions.
    Was finally good to see people put their moaning into action and effort.

Today was the first day in a long while were I felt very proud of Irish people!
    And I would say 50K isnt too far off the mark. O'Connel st is busy anyway but if its jammed with protesters the shoppers tend to stay to the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It doesn't matter we need to put the breaks on here. We have money to run the country until early next Summer. The pressure is not on US, the Irish taxpayer it's on Angela Merkel and her mates in Europe. We're not going to be their scapegoat.

CT, the reality is that Germany is fine and this is not a theoretical situation it is very real. Ireland is a small open economy that has a shot at refinancing.

This is where everyone should be working together instead you have one sector thinking they are entititled to more than everyone else.

Its the Corporate Estate calling the shots no matter who else gets hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Depending on what happens during the week, we ordinary people (not aligned with the corrupt and FF colluding union leaders) should march not to the Dail, but to Aras an Uachtarain and demand a general election if they sign this disasterous deal.

I hate to be one of the 'does it matter?' brigade but, if they do sign the deal...well... will a protest or an election matter? Aren't we just screwed royally at that stage?

But I'm all on for more. I don't think it should just end with this. Off home, point made - that sort of thing. I think we should be out on the streets until there's action. And I love the idea of one that begins not with the unions, but with just the people (not that union people aren't people...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

wylo wrote: »
    Im delighted I got over my union gripe and attended, I was beginning to feel I was just using it as an excuse (like many here tbh), it was definitely a national anti FF protest, and if anything alot of people were there to boo the unions.
    Was finally good to see people put their moaning into action and effort.

It wasn't a national protest - it was a small march in Dublin which 99% of the population of the country chose not to attend.

Please don't try to make it seem like something which it clearly wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

I was behind the platform for a good part of it. I did hear from people right after the march, who were in front of the platform, that David Begg was booed. If he was he deserved it.

It seemed as if the crowd wasn't entirely behind what the people on the platform were saying but then the ones I heard didn't seem to be great orators. They weren't delivery clear punchlines. It may have been a sound problem but the equipment they started assembling at 8am looked professional. Maybe it was just that there was no single issue that they could seize on or maybe I'm wrong.

Overall, stalking and lurking the atmosphere were some of Ireland's most prevalent traits: hypocrisy, lack of overview, faith in ballads, direction-less complaining, here today-gone tomorrow protesting, no definable common direction and the (yawn) "they died for Oireland" BS.

There were singers who have been coining it getting the artist exemption. Sharing the platform were union leaders with their Celtic tiger pay packets. They marched to the GPO (which had to close) no doubt trying to invoke the "spirit" of the short sighted gob****es who invaded it in 1916 and got us into this mess...

We should just vote to be invaded.

Form a panel, hold interviews, pick candidate countries and vote for a winner. It would be a good deal all round. The invader doesn't have to fire a shot or have a lot of expensive military equipment or get any of it's soldiers killed.

When they arrive we give them a list of gombeen men, bishops, politicians and wideboys they have to shoot and that's it.

There's lots of ways raise money.

The deficit can be wiped out in no time. Make the Vatican completely liable for it's crimes against children in their Gulag and seize all their assets. Strip all the developers of their ill gotten gains. Stuff the bondholders. Give the infamous Irish diaspora a vote in National Elections (€50 registration fee thank you). Abolish the Seanad, all Lord Mayors and the President. Abolish Farmers subsidy's. Ban cars over 1100 cc (down go the oil imports).

Tickets for the public executions would sell like wildfire.
    They could be sold in bundles:
    Bertie, Bish Brady and Brian Cowan. Hanifin..
    Batt O'Keefe and Cardi Connell...roll up, roll up, get your tickets now!

Sorry Starbelgrade, but I attended the march with people from Cork, Wexford, Dublin and Westmeath.

It was very NATIONAL.

There were flags and folk from all over the country, every province and county was represented. There was a multitude of accents throughout the events, including the speakers and we all got on very well.

I know from your previous posts you seem to have an issue with your capital, Dublin, but it is the capital and that is where people from all over the country journeyed to in bad weather to have their say. The attendance was over the amount of people that could fill Croke park on a non Dublin GAA final.

So, take your tribal prejudices somewhere else and accept that the nation had something to say today. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. I very much doubt you were there, so don't try and pretend you know what went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I was behind the platform for a good part of it. I did hear from people right after the march, who were in front of the platform, that David Begg was booed. If he was he deserved it.
    That part wasn't shown on RTE, although I think the main reason for the recent Begg-hating is the fact that he earns a six-figure salary plus expenses and perks.

But more depressing to me was the sight of Tintin braying 'OUT! OUT! OUT!' at the podium like some crazed Labour-militant circa 1983. He destroyed whatever shred of journalistic integrity he had left in a horrid bid to become the left-wing George Lee.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    CT, the reality is that Germany is fine and this is not a theoretical situation it is very real. Ireland is a small open economy that has a shot at refinancing.

Refinancing who? the banks.....pah .....:(
    This is where everyone should be working together instead you have one sector thinking they are entititled to more than everyone else.

I agree and so do many others. I'm old school I always worked for my money and I can't stand it that there are useless ineffectual people working in important roles. Hell I've encountered those very people whose mind blowing crapness we now bankroll. I have no patience for the upper echelons of the public sector and tainted union bosses.

But neither do I see a distinction between myself (private sector taxpayer all my life) and a public sector front line worker. I think the Croke park deal is a pile of sh!te but I have no problem with the ordinary hard working public sector worker.
    Its the Corporate Estate calling the shots no matter who else gets hurt.

I know that! That's why I want to protest, without those who would manipulate me for their own ends. Be they politicians, union bosses, bondholders that need to take a burn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Sorry Starbelgrade, but I attended the march with people from Cork, Wexford, Dublin and Westmeath.

It was very NATIONAL.

There were flags and folk from all over the country, every province and county was represented. There was a multitude of accents throughout the events, including the speakers and we all got on very well.

I know from your previous posts you seem to have an issue with your capital, Dublin, but it is the capital and that is where people from all over the country journeyed to in bad weather to have their say. The attendance was over the amount of people that could fill Croke park on a non Dublin GAA final.

So, take your tribal prejudices somewhere else and accept that the nation had something to say today. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. I very much doubt you were there, so don't try and pretend you know what went on.

A couple of points here;

1. A national protest is one where protests are carried out nationwide. It doesn't become nationwide simply because people from other counties attend it.

2. I have no issue with Dublin. If you have actually read my posts like you said you have, you would know that I am actually from Dublin. So your "tribal prejudice" comment is absolute nonsense.

3. If I have something to say, I will say it. If you don't like what I say, then that is your problem, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭sonic85

The attendance was over the amount of people that could fill Croke park on a non Dublin GAA final.QUOTE]

the attendance was 50,000 or so was it not? croke park holds over 80,000. 50,000 out of a population of 4.5 million or so is a rubbish turn out. to really try and affect change wed need a lot more people than that

A couple of points here

I was a national protest. Stop bitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

starbelgrade, did you go? Be honest

sonic85 wrote: »
    The attendance was over the amount of people that could fill Croke park on a non Dublin GAA final.QUOTE]

the attendance was 50,000 or so was it not? croke park holds over 80,000. 50,000 out of a population of 4.5 million or so is a rubbish turn out. to really try and affect change wed need a lot more people than that

Yes we do.

Phoenix park comfortably takes a million. Co-incidentally home of Aras An Uachtarain, seat of our President.

The perfect place to go, en masse if we were to try to request a General Election.

Next Saturday 4th December, 3 days prior to the election.

Why waste money passing the budget through when it will be re-hashed anyway (at huge expense) after the mooted General Election in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I was a national protest. Stop bitching.
    You were a national protest?

wylo wrote: »
    starbelgrade, did you go? Be honest

Is that a serious question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

sonic85 wrote: »

Yeah its a ****ing disgraceful turnout although many figures are going around I would like to think it went into the 100,000 mark.
    Honestly if any of you feel the way I do right now whats being pinned on us I swear these protests need to continue this is only a taster of what should be to come the budget can't be passed because if it is they'll be war its time we showed our true Irishness to physically remove this government but can anyone out there tell me who is fit enough to lead this country?

Advertisement