Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

sonic85 wrote: »

the budget can't be passed because if it is they'll be war its time we showed our true Irishness to physically remove this government but can anyone out there tell me who is fit enough to lead this country?
    That ^ is exactly what we need to avoid unless we want to shun away all foreign investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yes we do.

Phoenix park comfortably takes a million. Co-incidentally home of Aras An Uachtarain, seat of our President.

The perfect place to go, en masse if we were to try to request a General Election.

Next Saturday 4th December, 3 days prior to the election.

Why waste money passing the budget through when it will be re-hashed anyway (at huge expense) after the mooted General Election in January?

Is she still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Is that a serious question?
    yes, im presuming you went and Ive no problems with your comments , I just want to make sure they are credible, as opposed to basing them off what you saw on rte news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The attendance was over the amount of people that could fill Croke park on a non Dublin GAA final.QUOTE]

the attendance was 50,000 or so was it not? croke park holds over 80,000. 50,000 out of a population of 4.5 million or so is a rubbish turn out. to really try and affect change wed need a lot more people than that

Maybe, just maybe, not that many people really care. The media have made it seem like every single person in the country is having sleepless nights worrying about the financial state we are in. There are large chunks of the population who don't really give a crap because their lives haven't changed much (yet?) and who don't buy into the whole "OMG WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!" schite. They just get on with it. Things were bad before, they'll be both good and bad again.

I for one have actually gotten a better, more secure job since the recession "officially" started. I'm not the only one amoungst my circle of friends that did either. Some people are doing alright if not better than they we're 5 years ago. I was finally able to afford a house for instance. There may be 450,000 unemployed but that only actually about a 300,000 increase and there's still 1 million + getting in their cars and going to work every day.

There's no denying that some people are in dire straits but it's not everyone like the media wants you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wylo asked you a question, "did you go" he also asked to be honest, and you come back with this?
    Is that a serious question?

Did Fianna Fail train you? A true politicians answer, fair play.

@ Partyatmygaff... that was a typo, sorry.

IT was a national.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

To those that thought it'd become a riot: you're spineless cowardy cats.

To those that thought their support would lend itself to groups they don't want to be associated with: Well....me and the rest did a good job of whistling Begg down but your help would have been appreciated.

Lazy tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

wylo wrote: »
    yes, im presuming you went and Ive no problems with your comments , I just want to make sure they are credible, as opposed to basing them off what you saw on rte news.

My opinions on the attendance?

No - I wasn't there. But that doesn't make my comment any less credible.

I have opinions on the low turnouts for the last soccer international at the Aviva too, based on the reported attendances. I wasn't there either.

My opinion is still valid however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Maybe, just maybe, not that many people really care. The media have made it seem like every single person in the country is having sleepless nights worrying about the financial state we are in. There are large chunks of the population who don't really give a crap because their lives haven't changed much (yet?) and who don't buy into the whole "OMG WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!" schite. They just get on with it. Things were bad before, they'll be both good and bad again.

I for one have actually gotten a better, more secure job since the recession "officially" started. I'm not the only one amoungst my circle of friends that did either. Some people are doing alright if not better than they we're 5 years ago. I was finally able to afford a house for instance. There may be 450,000 unemployed but that only actually about a 300,000 increase and there's still 1 million + getting in their cars and going to work every day.

There's no denying that some people are in dire straits but it's not everyone like the media wants you to think.

i think youve hit the nail on the head there to be honest. i was thinking that myself. basically most people couldnt give a toss. and if thats the case it really is a sad state of affairs

John_Rambo wrote: »

@ Partyatmygaff... that was a typo, sorry.

IT was a national.
    I know that, it just sounded funny is all.

But even so, it couldn't have been called a national protest as it wasn't nationwide. A national (Nationwide) protest would involve each and every single county staging a protest. What happened today was a protest confined to Dublin that happened to consist of people from many different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

humberklog wrote: »

To those that thought their support would lend itself to groups they don't want to be associated with: Well....me and the rest did a good job of whistling Begg down but your help would have been appreciated.

Lazy tools.

Sounds like you had a nice day out...

Can't wait to see how much it achieves :)

• Advertisement

Yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

He destroyed whatever shred of journalistic integrity he had left in a horrid bid to become the left-wing George Lee.

A left-wing George Lee? George Lee was a right-wing Charlie Bird.

Yes it does.

Is that the best you can come up with?

You sound like a 4 year old.

My opinions on the attendance?

I have opinions on the low turnouts for the last soccer international at the Aviva too, based on the reported attendances. I wasn't there either.

My opinion is still valid however.

No, they lack any credibility whatsoever.

If you had attended, you had more of a right to moan about how 99% of the population not showing up, because YOU at least tried. If you had felt the atmosphere, anger and unity there amongst what I personally believe was massive numbers, possibly more than 50k you wouldn't be sitting behind a keyboard posting negative comments.

Your population expectations are flawed, think about it, hypothetically, if 3 million people showed up to a national protest in New York 99% of the population still didnt show up. Poor turn out alright

Mark200 wrote: »
    Sounds like you had a nice day out...

Can't wait to see how much it achieves :)

Yes I did, met some friends and got some of my job (photographer) done. Good day in the office etc.

Achieve? Well there's those that'll sit back and see what's delivered to them and there's them that don't like to to be spoon fed and have their chin wiped with a bib.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

i think youve hit the nail on the head there to be honest. i was thinking that myself. basically most people couldnt give a toss. and if thats the case it really is a sad state of affairs

Is it really though?

Why should people go out and protest if they genuinely don't care? Why just be there to be there and pay lip service to the cause you don't give two ****s about?

Fair enough if people who are really annoyed want to protest but why should others who don't care go just for the hell of it?

Your population expectations are flawed, think about it, hypothetically, if 3 million people showed up to a national protest in New York 99% of the population still didnt show up. Poor turn out alright

You can drive from any part of Ireland to another in a few hours. Huge difference to America.

If you had felt the atmosphere, anger and unity there amongst what I personally believe was massive numbers, possibly more than 50k you wouldn't be sitting behind a keyboard posting negative comments.
    Mob and crowd mentality?

Is that the best you can come up with?

You sound like a 4 year old.

Fair enough, but after reading the utter guff from yourself on this thread i'd tried out any clever response, but no joy. So yep...happy to sound like a 4 y.o rather than pretend to be a grown up.

It's called Compromise.

No, they lack any credibility whatsoever.

If you had attended, you had more of a right to moan about how 99% of the population not showing up, because YOU at least tried. If you had felt the atmosphere, anger and unity there amongst what I personally believe was massive numbers, possibly more than 50k you wouldn't be sitting behind a keyboard posting negative comments.

When did I say anything negative about the protest?

If you say that there was "atmosphere, anger and unity", then who am I to question that? Like I said, I wasn't there.

I merely pointed out that it was a small protest which was supported by a tiny percentage of the population.

Which is a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Is it really though?

Why should people go out and protest if they genuinely don't care? Why just be there to be there and pay lip service to the cause you don't give two ****s about?

Fair enough if people who are really annoyed want to protest but why should others who don't care go just for the hell of it?

but why dont people care though? were all living in the same country. its going down the tubes and some people dont care - sounds a bit bizzare to me. those people must be mega rich or something because none of this will affect them.

theres 450,000 people roundabouts on the dole. imagine if they all showed up at a march - now that would be some statement

Achieve? Well there's those that'll sit back and see what's delivered to them and there's them that don't like to to be spoon fed and have their chin wiped with a bib.

So..... nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is she still around?

Good question! If not where the hell is she?

At some book awards so I see on the aras website? :mad: WTF?
    Fiddling while Rome burns much?????

The people have a major pain in their hole, this is 2010, there better not be any more 'let them eat cake'

Show yourself President McAleese the people are seriously, highly displeased here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

........supported by a tiny percentage of the population.

Which is a fact.

I honestly doubt that.

Mark200 wrote: »
    So..... nothing?
    Bit early to say but probably yeah. Which is to say that airing it on line is different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Lazy tools.

So you tag along to a union protest, after they bus in people from all over the country, just to jeer the organisers?

If it wasn't for the unions no way would there be 50k to 100k people there. There was a non-union protest in the middle of the week, and a pumpkin protest around Halloween. They only attracted a few hundred people at best. You could have gone to them instead.

I'm happy with David Begg, and that he helped organised this protest. If you want to jeer the unions, why not organise your own protest? See how many people turn up.

Unions are there to stand up for working people, public and private sector. As a private sector worker I'm happy to pay my dues for the job that's done. They leadership do get paid well, but these are not jobs for life, they have the leadership role for set terms. They get salaries that are low in comparison to the size of organisation they manage, and a lot lower than Tom Parlon and so on get.

I've no problem with it being a broad protest, open to people not interested in unions. But to go to a protest and jeer the organisers? Sounds fairly stupid to me.

but why dont people care though? were all living in the same country. its going down the tubes and some people dont care - sounds a bit bizzare to me. those people must be mega rich or something because none of this will affect them.

theres 450,000 people roundabouts on the dole. imagine if they all showed up at a march - now that would be some statement

You're mistaking caring for our country for being fooled into thinking going for a walk down O'Connell Street can turn back time. The protest won't achieve anything. It wasn't even intended for it to achieve anything. If you feel all good and proud of yourself for going to O'Connell Street today then fair enough. Good for you. But it won't change anything. And it wouldn't have changed anything regardless of the turnout.

Good question! If not where the hell is she?

At some book awards so I see on the aras website? :mad: WTF?
    Fiddling while Rome burns much?????

The people have a major pain in their hole, this is 2010, there better not be any more 'let them eat cake'

Show yourself President McAleese the people are seriously, highly displeased here.
    And what do you expect her to do seeing as she has no actual power? At best she could be called an ambassador and nothing more.

Is it really though?

I agree with this to an extent, sadly I really think as time progresses more and more will care because they'll start seeing money from their own pocket.
    The fear is itll be too late by then, we'll be half through paying off the bailout with another mountain of debt waiting for us giving the country no opportunity to ever grow to for literally decades.

Also , another thing to point out with your argument, in 1916 alot of Irish didnt care, as a matter of fact alot of Irish were quite pissed off with the volunteers because of the loss of life and damage to infrastructure caused. But how many people now would honestly say they would prefer be under British rule now.

Sometimes things are being done for country that you may not realise will benefit you for years and years.
    Please dont get me wrong, if you dont care , dont protest, but at least have appreciation for the people that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

And what do you expect her to do seeing as she has no actual power? At best she could be called an ambassador and nothing more.

As a matter of interest how much does she cost the state per year?

Advertisement