Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christianity - An eye opener.

• 25-11-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I post a thread where I recount my Christian experience. My devotion to Christ and God and how shaken my faith is. I was not abusive but yet the thread gets deleted.

I really wonder how many of you can call yourself Christians. Not one of you tried in anyway to console or build up my faith.

You pretend to be Christians but you have no idea who Jesus is or what he stood for. The single comment I got pointed me to the atheist forum????

You know what. You "Christians" are nothing but a bunch of pious [edit: Please select another word].

Yes I will goto the athiest forum because I know I could post my feelings there without being deleted. Even if they can't offer Christian encouragement they certainly wouldn't delete my thread.

My [edit: Please select another word] brother died you [edit: Please select another word] and all you can do is delete my thread... You know what. Get that millstone and tie it around your neck and jump off the nearest pier because you have well and truly stumbled me.

Johnny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

In before the lock :pac:

Oh and read the forum charter before you post. You most likely broke one of the charter rules (as this post definitely has). If you have problems PM the moderators of this forum (of which I am not one) and you will get an explanation of why your post or thread was deleted. If that doesn't work you can PM the super-mods or take a complaint to the Feedback section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sorry dude, I didn't even see your thread, but as above, there was obviously a reason, if indeed there was a thread and it got deleted. Condolences on your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Didn't see the original post, I'm afraid.

Sorry to read about the loss of your brother.
    Presumably his death and the circumstances of same has rocked your faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, OP.

If you PM PDN I'm sure he will explain why your last thread was deleted.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    If you have problems PM the moderators of this forum (of which I am not one) and you will get an explanation of why your post or thread was deleted. If that doesn't work you can PM the super-mods or take a complaint to the Feedback section.

BTW, the procedure has been changed. There is now a dispute resolution forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, OP.

If you PM PDN I'm sure he will explain why your last thread was deleted.

It was deleted because it was a sarcastic vent at God and contrary to the Charter.

I'm sorry to hear about the OP's brother - but being bereaved does not give anyone a free pass to ignore the Charter.

OP, if you have a question then please ask it. Perhaps people can offer you some words of solace - especially those who have experienced the loss of a loved one and have reconciled that with their faith in a loving God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rubber_johnny

Forum charters and indeed many aspects of life are of little importance to me. When rules are more important than Christian principles then you have to ask yourself which rules are you abiding by? Is this even a Christian forum?

Compassion, understanding were core concepts of Christ. He cried when Lazarus his close friend died. He was grieved at the loss of the son of a widow. He was compassionate to the lowliest and most downtrodden. When the children came to him he didn't quiet them but told his disciples the kingdom of the heaven belongs to these such ones.

Christ did not judge and that is what the moderators of this forum did. Anger and grief are normal human emotions. Even Christ filled with righteous indignation tore apart the merchants stands who were profiteering at the peoples expense. He harsly condemned the vipers in men. Christ was a perfect man. I am not. Throughout my life I have never used profanity in speech or conducted myself in an unchristian way. Yet I felt completely justified in expressing the darkest emotions because honesty is another core Christian principle.

God abandoned me when I needed him the most. To have to make excuses for the almighty, i.e. Why he didn't do something etc is farsical. Why can't he make excuses for himself? He suffered so much at the death of his Son who he was able to resurrect a few days later? 3 days to an eternal being who is older than the stars. Is that a sacrifice? I have to suffer the death of my brother for the rest of my existence before that I have to see my father, mother, close friends all die.

For what? So God can make a point that has already been proven? The scriptures say that God is love but the actions or inactions of one prove who someone really is.

I used my brother as an example but every day thousands of innocents die and a merciful God with the power to stop it does nothing. How many points need to be proven? How much blood needs to spill on the earth before enough is enough.

Faith gives people the ability to ignore realities. Open your eyes to the cruelest reality there is. Of course you can just continue and swallow the other pill...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Just to clarify, are you saying -
    1) You are angry at God - which I have been in the past also due to my limited understanding of Him
    2) You don't believe in God.

If 2 is the case, 1 cannot be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Forum charters and indeed many aspects of life are of little importance to me. When rules are more important than Christian principles then you have to ask yourself which rules are you abiding by? Is this even a Christian forum?...

Just because one is a Christian does not give one the right to run on the poolside/walk on the grass/cross when the red man is lit up/break the forum charter.

What realities have we been ignoring OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Forum charters and indeed many aspects of life are of little importance to me. When rules are more important than Christian principles then you have to ask yourself which rules are you abiding by? Is this even a Christian forum?

Compassion, understanding were core concepts of Christ. He cried when Lazarus his close friend died. He was grieved at the loss of the son of a widow. He was compassionate to the lowliest and most downtrodden. When the children came to him he didn't quiet them but told his disciples the kingdom of the heaven belongs to these such ones.

Christ did not judge and that is what the moderators of this forum did. Anger and grief are normal human emotions. Even Christ filled with righteous indignation tore apart the merchants stands who were profiteering at the peoples expense. He harsly condemned the vipers in men. Christ was a perfect man. I am not. Throughout my life I have never used profanity in speech or conducted myself in an unchristian way. Yet I felt completely justified in expressing the darkest emotions because honesty is another core Christian principle.

God abandoned me when I needed him the most. To have to make excuses for the almighty, i.e. Why he didn't do something etc is farsical. Why can't he make excuses for himself? He suffered so much at the death of his Son who he was able to resurrect a few days later? 3 days to an eternal being who is older than the stars. Is that a sacrifice? I have to suffer the death of my brother for the rest of my existence before that I have to see my father, mother, close friends all die.

For what? So God can make a point that has already been proven? The scriptures say that God is love but the actions or inactions of one prove who someone really is.

I used my brother as an example but every day thousands of innocents die and a merciful God with the power to stop it does nothing. How many points need to be proven? How much blood needs to spill on the earth before enough is enough.

Faith gives people the ability to ignore realities. Open your eyes to the cruelest reality there is. Of course you can just continue and swallow the other pill...

Most Christians here I imagine (I'm not a Christian) have reconciled the idea of a merciful God and bad things happening to good people. There are a number of arguments in support of such an idea and a few of the other posters have posted you links to theologians where such arguments are presented.

If you can't reconcile this yourself you won't be the first person. We have an Atheist & Agnostic forum in the same section as Christianity (I'm an atheist myself). You are probably better off there than just lecturing Christians here to "open their eyes". That isn't a discussion point, and this is a discussion forum.

Sorry to hear about your brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think most Christians that frequent this board would gladly do what they can to help a genuine fellow believer who is undergoing a crisis of faith. Most of us have suffered the pain and grief of a bereavement, often accompanied by a host of unanswered questions. I know I spent quite some time in that valley of shadows when my infant daughter died.

However, when we are in a place of grief is not the time to pick an argument on an internet discussion forum. It is, for one thing, grossly unfair - as the grieving person, if challenged or corrected on something they post, can always play the emotional blackmail card by crying, "How can you say that when I'm grieving, you heartless monster!" That generally makes any kind of reasoned or informed discussion impossible.

There is also the continual problem on the internet that not everyone is who they seem to be and who they say you are. Boards.ie has a pretty good system for analysing IP addresses etc. and matching particular posters with known trolls - but that system is not foolproof.

So, operating on the assumption that the OP is genuine, and while we try to get a few questions answered, I'm going to lock this thread, more for the protection of the OP than anything else. Anyone, including the OP, who has issues with this should contact me via PM. There will be no discussion of this decision elsewhere in this forum, and any attempt to do so will be interpreted as backseat modding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement