Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game installation backup issue.

Options
  • 25-11-2010 4:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to backup my wow installation onto external HD but its getting so far and staying there for hours.
    Ive tried a few times but no luck,game is installed on HD with NTFS and trying to backup onto FAT32 HD,never had issue backing up gamesfrom NTFS to FAT32 HD.
    Also tried a wow repair but no problems found etc.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

What if you partition the ex HD and format say 30gb to NTFS then copy wow
    folder to that partition.?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I could do that but it would mean losing 300+ movies :( then again i could back them up on the pc first.
    I have my discs from the expansions etc, is there any real need to backup the game?
    Atleast having the discs cuts out a lengthy download of the client in the case of a HD failure etc.

I just wonder why its stopping at the same point all the time, tried again last night and stopped again at the same spot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Dcully wrote: »
    I have my discs from the expansions etc, is there any real need to backup the game?
    Atleast having the discs cuts out a lengthy download of the client in the case of a HD failure etc.

Reinstalled my PC recently. The install from web was surprisingly fast, and i would reckon less time than install from DVDs, find patches, update patches etc.

Or at least it seemed that way to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Might be a filesize limitation with the Fat32, which won't bother the NTFS formatted drive you're trying to copy from.

Use Winrar (or similar, 7z for example) and both compress and backup at the same time to split archives, maybe around 1gb size split archives.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Might be a filesize limitation with the Fat32, which won't bother the NTFS formatted drive you're trying to copy from.

AFAIK the file size limit is 4Gb,

• Advertisement

Yeah I think that's right and the biggest file I could see in my own installation is art.MPQ which is a tad over 3Gb - so not that then I guess :/

Still scratching my head on this one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Try running a defragger first. Try copying sets of subdirectories instead of the whole lot at the same time incase its a windows buffering 30gb of crud problem.

Ran defraggler mate, copying sub directories atc sounds like a plan, meanwhile i think ill start downloading the client onto the ex HD.

Rar/7zip and spitting the files up might be quicker if you are on a slow connection....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rarring (:confused:) a 30gb folder? That'd take forever. I'd go with the copying subdirectories route. Just copy them 2-3 at a time. It's a lot of effort, but at least you might be able to narrow down the issues to a particular file/folder.

Actually, now that I think of it, it might be something to do with the limitation imposed on the total name of a file/directory depth. Far as I remember, that limitation was 32 characters in total, including any file extension.

If you do go through the process of copying subfolders one at a time, you will eventually (hopefully) come across the offending file name causing the problem and workaround sorting it out from there.

Are you copying to the root of the external HD or in to another folder on that drive, maybe a folder within a folder within another folder on that drive that will then hit the 32 character limitation ?

Just a thought anyway...

I thought it was 128 myself, but looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Limits

FTA:
    [10] The on-disk structures have no inherent limit. Particular Installable File System drivers and operating systems may impose limits of their own, however. MS-DOS does not support full pathnames longer than 260 bytes for FAT12 and FAT16. Windows NT does not support full pathnames longer than 32,767 bytes for NTFS. Linux has a pathname limit of 4,096.

On an unrealted note and completely off topic[slow work day], i remeber a funny version of a table from that page, when the geezer from ReiserFS was being done for Murder....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronocdh/2651155110/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Thanks for help guys, i ended up downloading the client to external HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CamomileCurt

On an unrealted note and completely off topic[slow work day], i remeber a funny version of a table from that page, when the geezer from ReiserFS was being done for Murder....

[slow work day]???

...most wont even make it to werk todday, if u know whaddeye mean; ha - lol :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

if u know whaddeye mean; ha - lol :D

I've got absolutely no idea what you mean :confused:

Kiith wrote: »
    I've got absolutely no idea what you mean :confused:

...wot wud u do if u were stuck at home all day, unable 2 get 2 werk? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

...wot wud u do if u were stuck at home all day, unable 2 get 2 werk? ;)
    ...buy a working keyboard online and get a decent spellchecker?

...buy a working keyboard online and get a decent spellchecker?

Ha :D luas_dublin.

...any ideaz were i can get 1 wiv a werkin shift key?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I often run into that problem: windows hates doing massive file moves like that. Generally speaking it falls short and you've gotten 80 of 120gb or something.

I suggest Building a new Wow folder (D:\Wow , etc.) And then moving over each folder inside wow's directory one at a time so the file folder system will find it a bit more manageable.

• Advertisement

[slow work day]???

...most wont even make it to werk todday, if u know whaddeye mean; ha - lol :D

Ended up working from home for the week.

Advertisement