Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month old female bullmastiff problem

• 25-11-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I had to take my 11 month old female bullmastiff to the vet about two weeks ago when i noticed she was leaking a creamy white / green discharge. The vet said she had pyometra (an infection in her uterus). He gave her antibiotics for 10 days and said to keep a close eye on her because pyometra can be fatal. He said as soon as the infection cleared up we would have to have her spayed. He said to watch out for vomiting, not eating and her general form being low.
    The discharge continued but she wasnt getting sick, she was eating well and her form seemed good. Then last friday i noticed that she was no longer leaking the milky discharge but she was now leaking blood. I brought her to the vet again and he said that she still had the infection so he gave me more antibiotics for her. I asked him if it was possible that she was coming into heat and he said it was highly unlikely. I gave her the last antibiotic last night but she is still bleeding. She has no other symptoms, like i said, her form is good and she is eating well. Does anyone know if its possible that she is coming into heat? I'm wondering should i bring her back to the vet again. She has been bleeding now for almost a week (a week tomorrow) so if she's coming into heat should she be bleeding this long? i had a female dog before but i cant remember how long they generally bleed for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would bring her back to the vet asap. Pyo is very very serious so i wouldnt take any chances.
    If she hasnt had a heat she could be coming into season but i would imagine its more than likely in relation to the pyometra.

I highly advice you get her spayed sooner rather than later, as pyo in a young bitch is not good and her chances of getting it again would be high.

I cant stress how serious Pyometra is in bitches and if not caught in time it can be fatal so i would get her spayed now esp that she has had it already at 10 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely take her to the vet immediately.

If he continues with his "wait till you're done with the antibiotics" line, then take her to a better vet. They can perform a hysterectomy while the pyometra is present. Though it's not recommended while she's in heat. The bleeding can last for more than a week, it's quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Has your girl had a season aready??? 11 months would be around the right time for a large breed dog to come into heat plus womb infections are more common around the time a bitch is either coming in or coming out of heat.

As others have said though I would go back to your vet, pyometra can become life threatening v.quickly so is not something you want to put on the long finger, better safe than sorry.

Advertisement