Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick County Constituency/GE 2011

• 25-11-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    With the constituency changes and us folks in East Limerick now being lumped in with everyone out West, who's running for the dail in The new COUNTY consituency?
    Is it just the case that all or most of the candidates and sitting tds from the old west limerick constituency are running in the county, and all the old guard from the old East Limerick consituency will run in the city?

There could be an opening there if thats the case. :D

A Country Voice

Who will you vote for? 43 votes

Fianna Fail
    0% 0 votes
    Fine Gael
    6% 3 votes
    Labour
    32% 14 votes
    Sinn Fein
    25% 11 votes
    Independent
    25% 11 votes
    Green Party
    9% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Abbeyfeale, Glin, Ardagh are now in the Kerry North-West Limerick constituency. Newcastle West is almost encircled by it. Don't know which politicians (if any) are effected by the changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Why did they change around the constituencies anyway? All I know is that Collins and Cregan, the two sitting TDs for Fianna Fáil in West Limerick, have been nominated to run for the new Limerick County constituency in the next election.

I don't think a Labour TD was ever elected to West Limerick, and only once was a PD representative elected, however, that conservatism could change this time around.

Anyone know any other party candidates from Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin, Greens, Independents that will be running in the new Limerick County constituency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

martin ferris sinn feinn is running, the fg candidates are not yet picked, the usual jostling, plus friends etc, etc, james heffernan labour who topped the pole in the kilmallock area in the co.council elections is a definite runner, there seems to be a large area from bruree to pallasgreen up to anglesboro which will have a major say this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

theres a very detailed map on the limerick county council website.

http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/8C4863E9-9B91-4AEE-A662-24E662DF02D7/0/DailConstituency.pdf

Martin Ferris will run in the new Kerry North/Limerick West I'd say.

A Country Voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Interesting poll result ATM - FG and labour are neck & neck @ 3 votes each

• Advertisement

I'm going to predict a seat each for Labour, Fine Gael, and Fianna Fail, however, due to transfers, Sinn Féin might get a seat, but I'll still stick with those three...

one of the ff seats will go, perhaps the second, along the ballyhourahas on to galbally, kilbehenny and angelsboro, then down on to knocklong and elton i recon that sf will do very well, history would seem to suggest so, collins of ff will also be hoping to have a say in this area,as his mentor increaced his vote in the cc election and came in second, but times and history are against him. cregan will also be hopeing to do well here, but his mentor in the area has run his race imo.

Have we got a list of confirmed candidates yet?

Collins and Cregan of FF will be running as far as I know thats confirmed.
    Heffernan of Labour is also running.
    I dont know what candidates FG are running, I dont they have confirmed yet.
    SF havent confirmed anything either as far as I know.
    Any independents out there?

A Country Voice

ferris will run for sinn fein, he has opened a new constituncy office in newcastlewest, fg are infighting, neville will run for them, who else is on the ticket is any ones guess, bill o donnell is looking for the ticket, but the grapevine has it that his cousin kerian fg td for limerick west prefers mike houlihan from kilmallock, heffernan and ferris are new so it will be interesting to see how they fare, so far heffernan has the whole of south limerick to himself, fgs 2nd candidate will also be from south limerick, but their cc vote will hardly do in an general election, tactically ff should have run cc eddie ryan from galbaly, and use his tranfers, but they would go to collins, which would not suit cregan.

I wasnt aware that Martin Ferris had opened a new constituency office in NCW. Is he really going to run in the new Limerick Constituency? He has been representing North Kerry for a long time. Maybe Toiresa Ferris will run in the new North Kerry/West Limerick constituency, and hoover up the family vote there. It would be tough for her to try and edge in on a seat in South Kerry, and Martin with his high profile might grab an extra seat in Limerick County.
    I suppose if he has opened an office in NCW he must be running in Limerick.
    He'll shake things up alright!! if he plays his cards right he might even get my vote!!
    Kieran O'Donnell is FG TD along with Michael Noonan in Limerick East at present. I'd expect him to run in the new Limerick City Constituency. I suppose it'll be Dan Neville and maybe Mike Houlihan that will run for FG in the county.
    Hmmmm, if Collins, Cregan, Neville, Houlihan, Ferris, and Heffernan run. I'd see Neville, Collins, and Ferris and Heffernan fighting it out for the 3rd seat.
    Although it could be Neville, Heffernan, and Ferris and Collins fighting it out for the 3rd seat. New constituency, new faces, the Ferris factor!! Its very hard to call.

A Country Voice

• Advertisement

http://aprnonline.com/?tag=martin-ferris

I just found out that Martin Ferris is indeed running in Kerry North/West Limerick.

No idea who sinn feins candidate will be so :rolleyes:

A Country Voice

hi country voice, you have left cregan ff out, do you think that he has no chance, also ferris in in the new west limerick constintusy, it is a long rambling one from kerry and the shannon to the galtees, then down along the tipp border to pallasgreen, why did they not divide limerick down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

flutered wrote: »
    hi country voice, you have left cregan ff out, do you think that he has no chance, also ferris in in the new west limerick constintusy, it is a long rambling one from kerry and the shannon to the galtees, then down along the tipp border to pallasgreen, why did they not divide limerick down the middle.

I agree, it was crazy to effectively divide Limerick into 3.

FF will more than likely loose a seat. I'd imagine Collins will be under most pressure as his Abbeyfeale stronghold has been sucked into the new Kerry North/Limerick west constituency

what is cregans base, remember that the collins machine is working well in south and south east limerick, his constituncy sec. eddie ryan was the only ff candidate in the last local elections to increase his vote, no mean feat.

Limerick has been divided into 3.
    Part of Kerry along with an area of Limerick around Abbeyfeale, Mountcollins, Glin etc are in the new KERRY NORTH/LIMERICK WEST Constituency.

The LIMERICK CITY Constituency is just that. The city area.

The new LIMERICK Constituency includes the Newcastlewest area, the Killmallock area, the Castleconnell Area, the Rathkeale area, Adare area, ie everything not included in Limerick City constituency or the Kerry North/Limerick West constituency.

Martin Ferris is running in Kerry North/Limerick West. Only people in Abbeyfeale, Glin, Mountcollins, etc will be able to vote for candidates in the Kerry North/Limerick West constituency. Not all the way out to the Tipp border, or South Limerick either.

MAP ON LIMERICK COUNTY COUNCIL WEBSITE, LINK IN PREVIOUS POST

I did kinda neglect cregan I suppose. I'm not too up on the old "west limerick" deputies and their strongholds. I'm in the old East Limerick Constituency, we're being lumped in with ye crowd out west now :D

A Country Voice

i am a refugee from there as well.

just out of interest, sinn fein havent run a candidate in the old limerick west area, (a lot of the new LIMERICK constituency) since 1992.
    Will they run a candidate at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_West_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)#2007_general_election

A Country Voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 retro2011

a labour candidate will be elected in this constituency now since 2007 organisational roots have been set up and its visible and there candidate is visible

arthur spring excellent articulate candidate is on the road canvassing around north kerry limerick west its the end for mcellistrim you can only stay silent and behave pathetically for a short time

its not crazy most people in this part of limerick have more in common socially and economically with north kerry

arthur spring excellent articulate candidate is on the road canvassing around north kerry limerick west its the end for mcellistrim you can only stay silent and behave pathetically for a short time

ah the bould arthur, is he the same arthur that was a morgage lender or similar with anglo,
    so now does he needs two incomes to survive, just the type of guy this country needs, another anglo employee who expects the state to fund his expectancys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ah the bould arthur, is he the same arthur that was a morgage lender or similar with anglo,
    just the type of guy this country needs, another anglo employee who expects the state to fund his expectancys.

AFAIK + his interview on radio kerry awhile back, he was only a small fish in anglo.

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    AFAIK + his interview on radio kerry awhile back, he was only a small fish in anglo.

the small fish can smell as bad as the big ones, anglo needs to be wiped out compleatly.

anyway, back to the LIMERICK constituency..........
    I don't see any Sinn Fein candidate springing out from anywhere, does anyone else?
    Maurice Quinlavan is the only elected SF Councillor in the city or county council, and he's running in the city. I'll have to email SF HQ and ask them.

7 weeks to go!!!!

A Country Voice

heffernan will win seat great candidate

just goes to show you when people dont listen he was a junior member in anglo he no longer works there he owns his own business in tralee and he is a grafter only criticise people if you have facts

retro2011 wrote: »
    just goes to show you when people dont listen he was a junior member in anglo he no longer works there he owns his own business in tralee and he is a grafter only criticise people if you have facts

to me as an ex anglo employee (morgage manager) that is enough, then he is not running in the constituncy under discussion, fact.

i expect heffernan to top the pool, my problem with him is, that he is a teacher, two things about that, one he can draw two salerys, the second is possibly the dail has enough of them, the two failures i will not vote for, fg well neville has not answered any of my emails, o donovan i know nothing about,
    o donnell is a solicitor, there is plenty of them up there, as well, also he is a member of a political dynsty, a no go for me, ( clowen, the o rourkes lenihans et al),
    so my choices are limited, i have a little time to mull thing over.

i am led to believe that a farmer bloke is standing as an independant, i do not know his name, he chairman or something of one of the large organisations, now he should hoover up the muckers vote, which sets the cat amounst the pidgions, of his policys i have heard nothing, interestinf times ahead.

i am led to believe that a farmer bloke is standing as an independant, i do not know his name, he chairman or something of one of the large organisations, now he should hoover up the muckers vote, which sets the cat amounst the pidgions, of his policys i have heard nothing, interestinf times ahead.
    Whereas the "townie" vote is very intellectual, then again going by your spelling it's probably not:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Both of ye cop on and post like adults. Thanks.

• Advertisement

how can you make assumptions of where i am based ?.

Advertisement